Author Topic: Ice sled plans  (Read 21055 times)

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
Ice sled plans
« on: Oct 25, 2004, 02:57 PM »
Looking for a set of plans for an icefishing sled, that I can build as a project in my carpentry class. Any plans would be appreciated, I like the one Esox made that attached to his Jet Sled, but I would like any. Please email them to me at  [email protected]     
thanks
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Ice sled plans
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2004, 05:11 PM »
Redeyes,
Here's the 3 criteria for an ice fishing sled;
-Light
-Durable
-Unique
Here's mine,

I've never seen 2 alike. It's part of icefishing.
Think it out...you'll do just fine.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2004, 05:18 PM »
atta boy RG give the lad some direction!!red eyes i hope you post a pic when you finish your project!!

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2004, 06:54 PM »
thanks RG, Ill have to do some more research, but I do like your design, nice sled. What kind of wood did you use. Pine?
Ill have to make something that will hold my shanty, and one that I can tow behind my quad w/o the sled tipping over. could add some milkcrates to the front and back, to hold bait, buckets, etc.

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2004, 07:05 PM »
RQFIXIT  that sled looks super   do you have some dimensions and if you were to make a new one what would you change? :tipup:
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2004, 04:34 AM »
My materials were a bit out of the ordinary. At the time, I owned an architectural millwork company and had lots of scrap to choose from. That is 14mm Baltic Birch plywood...typically used for fixturing.

Use what you have or can get easily. It's not gonna be the last sled you build.....it's the first and it'll evolve as you evolve into an ice fisher.

I like my little sled. Generally I use it when It's nice and I don't need my trap. I wouldn't change anything. It has enough rod storage for 6 rods and enough room for a few hours worth of jigs ::)

I'd have to measure it but I'd say around 3' long and 18" wide.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

camo_fish

« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2004, 04:46 AM »
that is an awesome homey job there, rg. but that wouldn't hold all my sh*t, I still bring every thing including the kitchen sink.  ;) but differently an awesome looking sled.  :)
red-eyes, you should check out slipbobs jet sled, he has a nice modified sled.
maybe he'll drop a post with a picture for ya.  :)

camo_fish

« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2004, 04:53 AM »
red-eyes, check out slipbobs sled, here you go.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=11896.0
 ;D

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2004, 10:44 AM »
Red Eyes,
I'll get you some info when I get the photos online. I don't have dimentional drawings, but the pics might help. The design really depends on how much of what you want to carry.

Bob

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2004, 10:51 AM »
Hey this is a cool topic I too want to build a sled/windbreak.I also bring alot of gear jiffy 3hp pails rods and other gear any and all pics help a lot thanks for sharing yours RG!I look forward to seeing some more!!

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2004, 02:32 PM »
slipbobs sled is another great idea, i'd prolly add some plywood sides tho. Y not just use aluminum flat plate rather then tubing.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2004, 05:30 PM »
Redeyes,
Now you're catching on ;D
RG

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2004, 07:20 PM »

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2004, 07:55 PM »
cool, but I bet it gets stuck in snow easy  ???
Anthony

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

camo_fish

« Reply #15 on: Oct 26, 2004, 11:34 PM »
jerry that is a cool sled/wind breaker.  ;D

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 27, 2004, 07:21 AM »
It won't help in your class unless you build it out of wood.  Still, it's a cool sled.  Here's mine:

Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 27, 2004, 02:01 PM »
Ill show you guys a pic. of mine, when I am done. Just started drawing up the plans, we have alot of useful material left from building our new house.ie. closet racks, pvc pipe,plywood,2x4s, hinges,etc. all I really need to buy is a jet sled, and some aluminum flat plate.

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 27, 2004, 03:32 PM »
Awesome RG.
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Oct 27, 2004, 05:47 PM »
Redeyes,
Just remember...less is better. The more you build the more you pull through the snow. Keep things light and manageable. DON'T OVERBUILD!

RG

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 27, 2004, 08:39 PM »
I wont, I hate it when things are heavy. My friends dad made one out out plywood,and 2x4s , and that thing is very heavy for a sled, 60+ lbs

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 27, 2004, 08:39 PM »
I could even use lexan.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 28, 2004, 11:26 AM »
Slipbob, I like your design, very cool.  If I was going to modify mine, I'd merge your ideas with mine.  I've had my eye on that jet sled for some time now.  But, I just got me a Fish Trap last year and that kind of took my need for the smaller sled away.  I like dry storage so that when it snows all of the stuff that I want to keep dry doesn't get wet, so that is why I have a box on my sled.  My box is very sturdy and sits up high so you can use it as a seat and leave the bucket to put your fish in!  The only problem is that you have to get up to get in your box for something if it's in there.  So, I end up sitting on the bucket anyway.  I used to use a fold up hunting stool and I could store it inside my box, but on my last trip of the year a couple years ago I sat my big fat arse on it and one of the legs broke :%$#!: :roflmao:  and I looked like an idiot out there falling all over the ice as Genz man laughed at me, LOL.  So, for the rest of the day and most of last year, I used my box of my sled as my seat and it worked out OK.  Since then I've purchased a Sit and Fish...very handy! Since then I've lost 75 pounds... :D so hopefully I won't fall over as much.  Except, now I fall over when my fish trap seat comes undone when I bend over to get something, but that's a different story (and we had a thread on that last year I think).

I'm just curious, do you have any pics on how you load your shanty on there or how your setup works with your shanty? 

Again, very nice design.  Same with all you other guys, lots of ideas.  This subject interests me very much.  There is so much creativity and ingenuity on our site, kudos to all.

Making a sled from scratch is as much fun as ice fishing itself.  Who cares how much you save or how much it costs?  If you save money then that is a bonus, but it's the fun in doing it that gives me a thrill!  Then, if it works and is practical, then you can take pride in it each time you use it.
Kevin Wilson

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #23 on: Oct 28, 2004, 11:54 AM »
Fatboy - do you have a closeup pic of your PVC rod storage? I want to make a few of those for my fishtrap, I'm looking for good ideas on how to slot the pvc in order to securely hold the rod but protect the line.  How did you do it?

Thanks!

Rich

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: Oct 28, 2004, 03:12 PM »
didn't work on the sled today, but I did make a nice old fashioned wood jigging rod.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 28, 2004, 03:43 PM »
Fatboy - do you have a closeup pic of your PVC rod storage? I want to make a few of those for my fishtrap, I'm looking for good ideas on how to slot the pvc in order to securely hold the rod but protect the line.  How did you do it?

Thanks!

Rich

Not a problem Rich.  I have it stored at my Mom's place, so I'll have to go there and take a pic.  Basically, I cut slots in one end for the reel handles so that I can insert the rod and reel combo into the tube.  I used electrical tape to keep them from sliding out when the box is closed.  If it does that then your box is locked  :-\ :wacko: and you can't get in easily!!!  This year I'll attach velcro permanently to keep them tight instead of tape.  One word of caution, be careful inserting rigged rods with the lure attached to a guide or reeled up to the rod tip because what happens is the line catches on the edge of the tube near the reel and pulls it all tight, bending the rod tip.  I broke a few rods that way :-[  Since the other end of the tube is open, I've inserted a rigged rod all the way through with the lure coming out first (bail open) carefully and then you can attach the lure to the reel.  I was thinking that a lure saver type thing might be cool to have on the end of the tube.  Once your tubes are cut, simply drill a hole big enough to run a screw driver through and bolt it to the lid of your sled.  You don't want your bolt running the whole way through the tube because then your ice rod won't fit in there right, so you want to bolt the tube to the other surface from the inside of the tube.  Did I explain that right?   ???  Then, I install them alternately on the box lid so that all the reels aren't on one side of the box interfering with one another.  That way I can hold more rods!

Below is a diagram of the tube:
Kevin Wilson

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: Oct 28, 2004, 05:43 PM »
i think im goin with a similar design as slip bobs, but with either plywood, or lexan sides, another good thing about his idea is aluminum doesnt rust, and its light, unlike steel.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #27 on: Oct 29, 2004, 09:16 AM »
thanks alot Fatboy - what I'm worried about is the line coming off the reel to the first guide - doesn't it rub on the pvc, or do you cut a long enough slot, that reaches to the first guide?  Am I confusing, or does that make sense?

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 29, 2004, 09:34 AM »
  The only problem is I use my jet sled so much I'm wearing out a couple holes in the bottom corners which suck when there is a lot of water on the ice.  My plan is to just buy a new jet sled and unbolt the rack and redrill and bolt up the rack onto a new jet sled.  Problem solved.

You might want to attach some sort of runner to the bottom of your sled. Try some UHMW plastic. It is what is generally used. There are some commercially available runners or go here http://www.mcmaster.com/ and search for UHMW to make your own.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 29, 2004, 09:38 AM »
Here are some store bought runners:

http://goodoutdoors.theshoppe.com/sled_runners.html

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.