Author Topic: Michigan DNR Officers  (Read 8134 times)

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Michigan DNR Officers
« Reply #30 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:32 PM »
The officer i talked to for an hour about fishing never even checked my license. We were fishing from a boat launch on a river and his truck/trailer were parked there. We were still fishing when he got back in his boat. Guess he thought no one would be stupid enough to fish by a dnr truck without a license, which i had one so it wouldn't have mattered.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2010, 10:43 PM »
I seem to attract the DNR officers when I am out and I don't know why. I have 2 "good guy" stories for you. 2 winters ago my wife and I were out on Keweenaw Bay fishing for Lakers. There was some snow on the ice and the dragging of the shack was a bit of work. It was also less than a month before I was due to have my knee replaced so the long drag to shore was daunting. The officer who came out and checked us while we were fishing was heading back to the same spot where we were parked. He offered and then hooked my shack up to his 4 wheeler an dragged it all the way back to the shore for us. 
A number of years ago, before it was legal to haul a deer out of the woods with your ATV during quiet hours, I shot a buck on opening morning. After gutting it and walking back to my truck to get my bike it was early afternoon. By the time I got to the buck and headed back to the truck it was technically too late to be riding. Wouldn't you know it, when I reached the road there was a couple of officers talking to other hunters. They waved me over to talk to them and told me that I wasn't supposed to be on the bike at that time. I explained that I didn't want to leave my buck in the woods while I went into town to buy a new license and I didn't want to keep hunting without a tag. They asked me how far I was from my truck, I told them 1/4 mile. They let me go and just said "don't go any further with the bike once you reach your truck." They could easily have written me a ticket and there would have been nothing I could have complained about. As I said earlier, I seem to run into an officer several times a year. I have gotten along with them very well. I have had a few, but very few, times where they have seemed to have an attitude of "I know you are doing something wrong and will prove it". But I try to stay legal so I won't have any problems with them.
PS For the guy complaing that they were sneaky, grow up! Their job is to see if people are following the law. Watching people covertly is an excellent way to see if they are violating.

Offline benzie rover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 15, 2010, 06:39 AM »
There is a Law about riding double on a four wheeler. It says you can't ride double on a four wheeler unless it is equipped for two people.
I am trying to find out if I am pulling a person on a sled, do they need a helmet also?  I can't find anything written about it. Sometimes I pull three guys behind me and the shanty, do they all need helmets? Guess I'll find out when they write the ticket?

No helmet needed for sled/shanty riders... have asked the 'man' myself up on Big Bay. Seems like they let Darwin take over once you start draggin yourself alongside your gear.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.