Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Ice Fishing Shanty
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Gearcor | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | KitteryTradingPost | Cabelas
Oct 20, 2014, 05:20 AM
Support Iceshanty... Get some great gear and forum goodies... Join The Iceshanty Militia

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?

Author Topic: Michigan DNR Officers  (Read 3801 times)

Keweenaw Angler

• IceShanty Rookie

Re: Michigan DNR Officers
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:20 AM »
I've been checked twice by the dnr in 25 years of fishing. Once with my dad when I was a kid on Rice Lake. They came up to use, asked how we were doing and asked my dad for his license. After about 5 minutes one of the officers started writing a ticket for my dad. My dad asked what he was doing and the officer said he was writing him a citation for no personal flotation devices. He then started to give a speech about how important it was to have one in the boat with me in it. We had five in the boat, three seat cushions and we were wearing fishing vests. He did not even bother to ask to see if we had any and when my dad told the officer that there were five in the boat and we were wearing two of them the officer got very angry and searched our boat. He didn't find anything and left. The other time was just the other day in the Twin Lakes area. It sounds like it was by the sneaky guy, he was nice though. I got a lot of info about the other lakes in the area and how the other fisherman on the lake were doing.

Exile

• IceShanty Rookie

• Cooking a Litlle Venie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:23 AM »
Wow,  I wish we had your Co's down here Houghton & Marquette.  For an example we had this co two years ago by the name of Holmes,  He had so many complaints they transfered down to the trolls.  His dad was a co so this guy was bad!!  Don't get me wrong I would like to see the guys in green different, the ones down here just don't have any common sense!!!  I would like to see them treat peeps they would like to be treated..  As being spread thin LOL During Hunting season this year I seen them 3 times while being at camp...I did run into one at little Bay De Noc about tens years ago Ice fishing. He asked me for my Lic, would you know it I forgot it in Norway.  He told me that I would be stupid not to spend 13 bucks for a Lic and have so much equipment . so He said have a good day and left.  So I know there are some good ones but I think here in Dickinson we have all the morons.  
Only in the U.P.  (You can take man out of the U.P. but can't take the U.P. out of the Man)

Exile

• IceShanty Rookie

• Cooking a Litlle Venie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:28 AM »
Oh ya truker forgot to tell ya a CO named Bacon lives in Norway... He is alright.. The one to look out for is AHO....
Only in the U.P.  (You can take man out of the U.P. but can't take the U.P. out of the Man)

lfdiaff

• Team IceShanty Regular

• Ducks, Bucks and Hardwater Nut
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:36 AM »
I dont think they are that bad of people. Maybe it is just because they have been very nice to me. I was fishing in mecosta county two weeks ago and got stopped on the ice. I had borrowed my fathers quad to help move aroung and pull stuff out. It was me and my girlfriends brother riding two up on a one person quad with no helmets. First I didnt think you had to have helmet if you were going under 35mph. Well you do. Then the ORV sticker that I didnt even think to check was expired. And we were riding two up on a one person quad. The CO informed me of the three infractions and as I was pulling out my Drivers license. Seen my ID. I am a career Firefighter and he seen my ID. His M.O. Instantly changed and he asked me if I knew a bunch of people. Of corse I did cause I work with them. He told me to tell them hi. Then said have a good weekend. I asked him about getting back to the cabin with all the rules we were braking and he said dont worry about it. Then I asked about another lake that was in the area and if we could go there with no helmets because the helmet were left 100 miles away at home. He said it was ok. So my $.02 is that they are doing there job. Just like cops. Everyone hates cops till they call and need them.

skinnytrucker

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:39 AM »
Oh ya truker forgot to tell ya a CO named Bacon lives in Norway... He is alright.. The one to look out for is AHO....

The guy I ran into yesterday was tall and slim. Didn't catch his name though.
Da Buckless Yooper

Exile

• IceShanty Rookie

• Cooking a Litlle Venie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2010, 11:33 AM »
That was Bacon ..  as for the post above you.. So you got let go because of who you knew..  That is the problem..  Cops take care of the DNR & DNR take care of the cops it is a BS session.   Dont get me wrong, if your going slow not acting like dare devil I dont see the problem with giving you a warning.  I do not think there is any law that prohibits people from riding double. they frown upon it but there is no law.  As for helmets he had you.  I had a buddy that was on his land pulled on a gravel road (the road is along side his land) to go 30' (NO BS) to his driveway. The CO gave him a ticket for no helmet, mind u you dont need a helmet while operating an atv on you own property.  But seeing he could not ride the shoulder due to being a culvert with gaurd rails he had to ride on the side of the road.  That is what im talking about having no common sense.  He was out working on his land, not hurting anyone..

michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2010, 11:44 AM »
That was Bacon ..  as for the post above you.. So you got let go because of who you knew..  That is the problem..  Cops take care of the DNR & DNR take care of the cops it is a BS session.   Dont get me wrong, if your going slow not acting like dare devil I dont see the problem with giving you a warning.  I do not think there is any law that prohibits people from riding double. they frown upon it but there is no law.  As for helmets he had you.  I had a buddy that was on his land pulled on a gravel road (the road is along side his land) to go 30' (NO BS) to his driveway. The CO gave him a ticket for no helmet, mind u you dont need a helmet while operating an atv on you own property.  But seeing he could not ride the shoulder due to being a culvert with gaurd rails he had to ride on the side of the road.  That is what im talking about having no common sense.  He was out working on his land, not hurting anyone..

There is a Law about riding double on a four wheeler. It says you can't ride double on a four wheeler unless it is equipped for two people.
I am trying to find out if I am pulling a person on a sled, do they need a helmet also?  I can't find anything written about it. Sometimes I pull three guys behind me and the shanty, do they all need helmets? Guess I'll find out when they write the ticket?

Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2010, 01:04 PM »
I am trying to find out if I am pulling a person on a sled, do they need a helmet also?  ...

They do not need a helmet...only the driver and/or passenger on a 2-up machine. 
Chris Raymond

stagdown

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2010, 01:11 PM »
I thought you still had to have a helmet even on your own property. 

249er

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2010, 07:25 PM »
Last year was the first time i've ever been checked by a CO, and that was in Ashland, Wisconsin. I fish alot and live in harvey. He was very respectful even though we did not have our registrations on our bikes. He went as far as to say, just take some of that PBR and clean off a spot for it and watched us do that and away he went. Then this year I got stoped by a CO in marquette and we talked more about fishing and spots to fish on the lake then anything else. He did'nt check my license until he was walking away. 

acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #30 on: Feb 03, 2010, 07:32 PM »
The officer i talked to for an hour about fishing never even checked my license. We were fishing from a boat launch on a river and his truck/trailer were parked there. We were still fishing when he got back in his boat. Guess he thought no one would be stupid enough to fish by a dnr truck without a license, which i had one so it wouldn't have mattered.

Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2010, 09:43 PM »
I seem to attract the DNR officers when I am out and I don't know why. I have 2 "good guy" stories for you. 2 winters ago my wife and I were out on Keweenaw Bay fishing for Lakers. There was some snow on the ice and the dragging of the shack was a bit of work. It was also less than a month before I was due to have my knee replaced so the long drag to shore was daunting. The officer who came out and checked us while we were fishing was heading back to the same spot where we were parked. He offered and then hooked my shack up to his 4 wheeler an dragged it all the way back to the shore for us. 
A number of years ago, before it was legal to haul a deer out of the woods with your ATV during quiet hours, I shot a buck on opening morning. After gutting it and walking back to my truck to get my bike it was early afternoon. By the time I got to the buck and headed back to the truck it was technically too late to be riding. Wouldn't you know it, when I reached the road there was a couple of officers talking to other hunters. They waved me over to talk to them and told me that I wasn't supposed to be on the bike at that time. I explained that I didn't want to leave my buck in the woods while I went into town to buy a new license and I didn't want to keep hunting without a tag. They asked me how far I was from my truck, I told them 1/4 mile. They let me go and just said "don't go any further with the bike once you reach your truck." They could easily have written me a ticket and there would have been nothing I could have complained about. As I said earlier, I seem to run into an officer several times a year. I have gotten along with them very well. I have had a few, but very few, times where they have seemed to have an attitude of "I know you are doing something wrong and will prove it". But I try to stay legal so I won't have any problems with them.
PS For the guy complaing that they were sneaky, grow up! Their job is to see if people are following the law. Watching people covertly is an excellent way to see if they are violating.

benzie rover

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #32 on: Feb 15, 2010, 05:39 AM »
There is a Law about riding double on a four wheeler. It says you can't ride double on a four wheeler unless it is equipped for two people.
I am trying to find out if I am pulling a person on a sled, do they need a helmet also?  I can't find anything written about it. Sometimes I pull three guys behind me and the shanty, do they all need helmets? Guess I'll find out when they write the ticket?

No helmet needed for sled/shanty riders... have asked the 'man' myself up on Big Bay. Seems like they let Darwin take over once you start draggin yourself alongside your gear.

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Gearcor | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | Cabelas
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved