Author Topic: Idle Screws on a Jiffy Model 30  (Read 36610 times)

Offline Jrod0582

• Team IceShanty Regular
Idle Screws on a Jiffy Model 30
« on: Feb 01, 2010, 12:50 PM »
anyone have any advice for adjusting the idle screws on a jiffy model 30 (about 10 years old)? I made some adjustments to the screws because I wanted it to idle a little smoother but now when I am drilling a hole my auger will bog itself all the way down and die very quickly. it will idle and rotate at normal speed as long as I am not drilling into the ice so it is almost as if I lost nearly all of the power that used to tear right through the ice. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
Re: Idle Screws on a Jiffy Model 30
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2010, 12:56 PM »
Doesn't sound like an idle adjustment problem... check your air filter first if this doesnt help you may have to adjust your air/fuel adjustment.
l

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2010, 01:09 PM »
You probably have two adjustment screws.  One for idle and one for high speed.  You may have turned the wrong one. 

Keith

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2010, 01:18 PM »
I wish I had a nickel for every time I was asked about carburetor adjustments .

Here are the facts :
1 Why would the carb become out of adjustment ? Jets DON"T turn with vibration .
2 Someone with a screwdriver can screw things up royally .
3 99.9 % of the time a carb adjustments are not at fault.
4 The problem can range from ice plugging the air filter - carb diaphragm gummed or stiff - plugged exhaust ports - scored or damaged piston/cylinder - fuel contamination /quality - leaky engine seals to ...................... ...................
5 Take to a qualified technician /shop .

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2010, 01:18 PM »
ADJUSTING TECUMSEH 3 HP CARBURETOR
pop the red caps off.

Close both jets GENTLY

Open the Low speed 1/4 turn

Open High speed jet 1 1/4 turn

Start engine.

Adjust low speed until idling smoothly.

Open her up wide open.

Adjust High speed until engine transitions smoothly from idle to high speed without bogging.

Shut engine off. Let it cool.

Once engine is cold. Fire it up and let it idle for 30 secs. Open it up wide open again. Adjust if necassary.

The trick with the Jiffy's is to tune them during cold (ice fishing) weather.

Low speed screw,the one on the left.

High speed on the right.
______________________ ___
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2010, 02:02 PM »
ADJUSTING TECUMSEH 3 HP CARBURETOR
pop the red caps off.

Close both jets GENTLY

Open the Low speed 1/4 turn

Open High speed jet 1 1/4 turn

Start engine.

Adjust low speed until idling smoothly.

Open her up wide open.

Adjust High speed until engine transitions smoothly from idle to high speed without bogging.

Shut engine off. Let it cool.

Once engine is cold. Fire it up and let it idle for 30 secs. Open it up wide open again. Adjust if necassary.

The trick with the Jiffy's is to tune them during cold (ice fishing) weather.

Low speed screw,the one on the left.

High speed on the right.
______________________ ___

Dawg is totally correct. Sounds like you leaned out your high speed. Leave it outside before you tune it. You may have to open it up even a bit more when you get it under load. Always use good, clean, fuel, (Non-oxy if you can find it), and a fuel stabilizer like Stabil or Sea Foam. Good maintenance prevents 99% of problems.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Jrod0582

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2010, 02:27 PM »
you guys were completely correct! my high speed idle screw was turned way down, I opened her up and can tell that the power was restored, I really appreciate the help gentlemen!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2010, 08:10 PM »
I am having the exact same problem with mine, I just keep playing with the choke and pumping the primer once in a while when it starts to die out, I wasn't sure how to adjust the carb so I have just been playing with it till I get my holes drilled. I will try this adjustment tomorrow and report back.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2010, 08:20 AM »
I have to give "ice dawg" a big THANKS. I did what you said and my 15 year old Jiffy hasn't run this good since it was new. I know over the years I have played around with those carb screws but never did it right. Now I only have to use the choke the very first start up, after that it starts right up with no choke and has no more hesitation from low speed to high, and I don't have to keep playing with the choke to keep it running at times. Thanks again.

Offline JJK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Loves fishing and camping all year round
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2010, 09:58 AM »
I have beeb also having the same problems, like everyone else I am also going to try this ,thanks Cheers JODY
As long as I breathe I will fish as long as I can

Offline mcdee

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • w
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2010, 10:19 AM »
Those jiffys need two adjustments one for warm days and one for cold .Maybe someday Jiffy will add that adjustment so you can just turn a knob for cold or warm days  ;)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2010, 11:01 AM »
Those jiffys need two adjustments one for warm days and one for cold .Maybe someday Jiffy will add that adjustment so you can just turn a knob for cold or warm days  ;)
Good idea. You may want to include Strikemaster and others that use Tecumseh engines also. lol Mine is a 2 hp and doesn't give me any problems.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline jaysun23

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline icefishindaddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • please make ice
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2010, 03:11 PM »
Heres a link to Tecumseh engines.  It helped me alot on rebuilding my older jiffy and it works great now.
http://www.cpdonline.com/692508.pdf

You can look up the page you need and then print it out to take into the shop with you.
Good luck

Offline magnum44270

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2015, 12:50 PM »
 I just rebuilt the carb with a kit, after it sat for 8 years. Got tips on adjustment from other sites and got it back up and running. New gas, seafoam, proper oil mix, new plug... Ive got the idle (low/left needle) good but cannot get it to transfer over to high speed with out bogging at first...or can get it to switch over but bogs after about 5 seconds and with load? any  other tips or tricks

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2015, 02:34 PM »
I would make sure that the fuel line tank to carb is  still good and not deteriated inside. While dry make sure the molded in filter in gas tank is clean.  Next is check air breather screw thingy in gas cap to get air into tank. Any chance you put diaphram in upside down? Hope you get before ice!  Regards....O.P. :tipup:
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline magnum44270

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2015, 05:12 PM »
put the diaphragm in according to directions and the same as old one came out.... flushed and cleaned tank.... I haven't but will replace the fuel line.... its got me stumped, set it at the suggested turns, if I close it up it bogs, if I open it bogs,... just cant win.............and I just had it out on the ice, was a pain but got my holes cut.... punch the primer and gun it, cut a 1/2 inch,,,.. again and again.. Good thing there is only 2 1/2 -3 inches!

Offline ymustuknow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2015, 07:35 PM »
Heres a link to Tecumseh engines.  It helped me alot on rebuilding my older jiffy and it works great now.
http://www.cpdonline.com/692508.pdf

You can look up the page you need and then print it out to
take into the shop with you.
Good luck

The link to the pdf is no longer valid. Does someone know of a working link or has the pdf that could file share?

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2015, 05:15 PM »
Hi Mag....  IF the HI screw doesn't make engine react... and you say if you punch primer it will cut ....it sure sounds like somethin is plugged!  If on the ice.... you could have a friend squirt gas mix while tryin to cut hole...and it works it should sorta prove somethin is plugged! Dyin under load.... can you see if the wind vane govenor thingy is free and connected still?  Interested to see what it does with squirted gas in carb?  Good luck   O.P.
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2015, 06:02 PM »
Listen to Ice Dawg!!!!!!     When I moved to a much higher elevation, I had to lean out my top end to prevent "4 stroking" of the engine from being too rich. Every day out on the ice, I hear others that NEED to do the same thing, cuz they are out there sputtering away and taking forever do drill a hole.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.