The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Coleman SportCat Catalytic Heater (? on how to start it)  (Read 17840 times)

Offline Heater31

• Team IceShanty Regular
I bought one of the $30 Coleman Catalytic heaters at Walmart this past weekend. It says push the red button 5 or 6 times to start it. Well there is no d**n red button! Does anyone have one of these, and am I able to use a lighter to start it? Thanks

Heater

Offline cmbb

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Coleman SportCat Catalytic Heater (? on how to start it)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2010, 05:15 PM »
What model? Is it the round one that screws on the little LP bottle?

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2010, 05:44 PM »
Don't monkey around with any buttons, light a match and touch er off, then we can call you "sooty"! ;D

Seroiusly, I believe there are two different models of them. Here is the first one that clearly has the instant, matchless start.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/detail.asp?CategoryID=3000&product_id=5035A750

Here's the second one that you start with a match after you line up the red dot on the knob and wait for the fuel to come up. That acts like a pilot light.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/detail.asp?CategoryID=3000&product_id=5035A700

Sounds like you got the instrucions for the instant light to go with the match version. In any event, according to the prices listed, the cheapest one was $48.

Good Luck! ;D

Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline cmbb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2010, 06:06 PM »
Mine is a bit different. On mine ,hold the button or dial to start or ignite, holding down or on ignite for a few seconds then put a match or lighter to the front and it should light, when it does continue to hold button/dial for a few seconds then let go. He will not see any flame to speak of, but it will be lit.

Mine does not have the electric start either, but the directions say that I do. They lie!

Sooty :)

Offline little gobbler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2010, 08:10 PM »
mines a coleman blackcat. hold a lighter to it and cranck the gas up she'll fire. it goes on the small cylinders. works excellent in the portable. its a good stove as well
get outdoors or die tryin

Offline kiley

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Newbie, all it took was 1 time and I was HOOKED
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2010, 08:44 PM »
You will not see the flame but you will feel the heat in a few seconds like everyone Else said, turn it on  and use a match.

Offline Heater31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2010, 06:51 AM »
Thanks everyone!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.