The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: crystal derby today..  (Read 3670 times)

Offline FloatinWoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
crystal derby today..
« on: Jan 30, 2010, 05:16 PM »
seven man crew. Several helicopter flags. No fish, but caught some ski mask frost, a cold, and the smelt on the end of the line i baited. Seriously.. probably out of the 500 people there, 6 fish caught on the board. Skunksville strikes again. We arrived at 6:am and gave it hell. No Luck except the neighbor got a free haircut.

Offline Chub

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: crystal derby today..
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2010, 05:24 PM »
I would have killed for a wind flag.  Four guys, no fish.

Offline Snowfun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2010, 05:27 PM »
Chrisco and I hit the lake about 5:30. We fished until 3pm and then waited in the crowd to see if we hit any door prizes. WOW, didn't they have a ton of them. It felt like forever waiting until 8am to set the first trap. Chrisco Iced the first tagged brookie at 8:10. then we managed to ice 2 more tagged fish and a brookie without a tag, biggest was just shy of 14". Not a bad day on the pond seeing the action is usually slooooooow. The camera batteries died after the first shot.

I felt bad for the guy with the 22" brookie that had the tag fall out. They didn't allow the fish to be entered.
Feeding birds, one pike at a time...

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2010, 06:24 PM »
Chrisco and I hit the lake about 5:30. We fished until 3pm and then waited in the crowd to see if we hit any door prizes. WOW, didn't they have a ton of them. It felt like forever waiting until 8am to set the first trap. Chrisco Iced the first tagged brookie at 8:10. then we managed to ice 2 more tagged fish and a brookie without a tag, biggest was just shy of 14". Not a bad day on the pond seeing the action is usually slooooooow. The camera batteries died after the first shot.

(Image removed from quote.)

I felt bad for the guy with the 22" brookie that had the tag fall out. They didn't allow the fish to be entered.

If everyone but the officials thought that it was a tagged fish, I'm sure that will hurt them next year, even though the cause is worthwhile. :(
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2010, 06:36 PM »

It sounds like you did good ..     That trout looks like a racer . Most of those farm raised fish look a little more full .        Nice job guys !!!

Offline tcfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2010, 06:45 PM »

Got there at 6:00 ,got to the shack and we had been invaded!!!!!!!! People had holes drilled within 8 feet of my shack we were surrounded >:(
      We waited till the 8:00 start to set trapped but our invader neighbors started fishing at 6:30
 That etiqite thing AGAIN .... I know i dont own the lake but come on!! 8 feet!! I asked if they wanted to drill holes inside the shack
      4 of us 2 flags no fish :'(  Tried jiggin and not a tap    still was a decent day good friends good food good cause
i ain't scared

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2010, 06:59 PM »
        We waited till the 8:00 start to set trapped but our invader neighbors started fishing at 6:30

You had to wait until 8:00 before you could start fishing?? Who came up with that idea? What's the reason?

Sorry to hear you were invaded tc, I always give shacks a lot of space whether they're occupied or not.

Offline tcfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2010, 07:04 PM »
You had to wait until 8:00 before you could start fishing?? Who came up with that idea? What's the reason?

Sorry to hear you were invaded tc, I always give shacks a lot of space whether they're occupied or not.
       Not sure why i guess to keep people honest (the dishonest)    yeah i stay away from other peoples shacks also (not like we had a hot spot)
  I had a guy one year at the sebago derby jiggin a hole while leaning against my shack when we got out there :o
i ain't scared

Offline fishon--fishoff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • catchem when you can
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2010, 07:11 PM »
Well i arrived at the lake at 4am got the shack warm had coffee....started fishing at 8am caught a perch wich missed the money bye 1/4 inches Had  alot of fun and got a few pics..was a great turnout there was 750 tickets sold and was trap to trap the whole lake...great cause  raised tons of  money

Offline fishon--fishoff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • catchem when you can
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2010, 07:13 PM »
I won a pair of ice creepers for a door prize ;D

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2010, 07:19 PM »
Well i arrived at the lake at 4am got the shack warm had coffee....started fishing at 8am caught a perch wich missed the money bye 1/4 inches Had  alot of fun and got a few pics..was a great turnout there was 750 tickets sold and was trap to trap the whole lake...great cause  raised tons of  money(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
    fishon--fishoff, is that your ranger w/ the tracks????.....Thinking seriously about doing that next year to mine. :-\.....May have to rob a bank, to do it????.......Nice looking rig !.....LL
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline Snowfun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2010, 07:22 PM »
It sounds like you did good ..     That trout looks like a racer . Most of those farm raised fish look a little more full .        Nice job guys !!!
Ya, the trout came out of the poland spring hatchery. Not even close to the fish the state stocks down this way. Must be a different strain

Offline fishon--fishoff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • catchem when you can
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2010, 07:34 PM »
    fishon--fishoff, is that your ranger w/ the tracks????.....Thinking seriously about doing that next year to mine. :-\.....May have to rob a bank, to do it????.......Nice looking rig !.....LL
I wished it was..no it was a gentlemans that was fishing beside me...... ;D

Offline droopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:05 PM »
I didn't have any flags either. Had great company around me, and won a visa gift card that my wife has already confiscated lol.

Offline Fishingfool_2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:39 PM »
I was there for a few hours until my youngest grandson got cold and wanted to leave.  My wife and I brought him home so his brother could keep fishing.  Son-in-law caught a pickrel and my older grandson caught a 13.5 inch brookie which was not tagged.  Everyone had a great time - nice family event even if the fishing was very slow.

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii149/fishingfool_2/?action=view&current=Cole-135inchBrookie.jpg
Herb

:icefish:

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:45 PM »
I'm guessing they didn't starve the fish long enough?  :cookoo: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline rubline

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2010, 10:52 PM »
  25 traps in, one nice rainbow caught,no door prizes.  Could have done without the wind!

Offline ayuhfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2010, 08:16 AM »
caught first tagged fish ever at 8:10  12.5"brookie.usually would throw this fish back.4 guys 20 traps and only 1 other small brookie all day.fisrt time ever fish crystal really just threre to support USO.good day great cause.Coldest part off day was waitng to hear derby results

Offline Thresher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2010, 12:41 PM »
I wished it was..no it was a gentlemans that was fishing beside me...... ;D

I was there Saturday with "Fish on-Fish off".... we had a blast, steaks on the grill...good coffee and fun.  My daughters fiance took first place in the derby, my daughter won a 50.00 GC to KitteryTrading Post and I won a 50.00 gift card to boot.  It was a great day....4am sure came early but the investment of my time was well worth it !

Offline fishon--fishoff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • catchem when you can
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2010, 12:44 PM »
I was there Saturday with "Fish on-Fish off".... we had a blast, steaks on the grill...good coffee and fun.  My daughters fiance took first place in the derby, my daughter won a 50.00 GC to KitteryTrading Post and I won a 50.00 gift card to boot.  It was a great day....4am sure came early but the investment of my time was well worth it !
welcome to the site...Glad to see you finally posting...yes it was a great time and looking foward to next year

Offline Thresher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2010, 02:01 PM »
welcome to the site...Glad to see you finally posting...yes it was a great time and looking foward to next year

Next year!!??  I'm moving my shack to Sebago Lake tomorrow. ;D  Go big or go home ! ( all in the spirit of fun and good sportsmanship) WWJD Bobber

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2010, 05:59 PM »
  25 traps in, one nice rainbow caught,no door prizes.  Could have done without the wind!
Our group didn't catch any fish, but we did have Helicopter WIND FLAGS. He would come over to our side of the lake and hover just above us. We didn't need any extra Wind yesterday, mother nature provide us with more then enough.

Offline rubline

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2010, 07:27 PM »
  What was up with the helicopter pilot?  There is no way he/she is a ice fisherman or that would not have happened.  On the up side lets hope that next year it will all get better.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2010, 07:34 PM »
  What was up with the helicopter pilot?  There is no way he/she is a ice fisherman or that would not have happened.  On the up side lets hope that next year it will all get better.
I'm sure it will. It's their First year, they got to work out a few bugs.

Offline Snowfun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag!!!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2010, 07:42 PM »
I'm sure it will. It's their First year, they got to work out a few bugs.
I would like to see sunrise to 3pm. For the first year it was impressive.

Offline droopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2010, 07:45 PM »
did anyone happen to see that guy from little man traps? i was more than likely going to semi-impule buy one to try it out. seems nice to have the trap on the side of the hole, oh well guess i'll stop into beans sometime and get a new laker or two

ty

Offline rubline

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2010, 08:24 PM »
  Check out his website, Ricks got a great product check out his site
http://www.littlemantraps.com

Offline rubline

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2010, 08:26 PM »
  And for the record I in no way meant to bash or bad mouth the derby.  I loved every minute.

Offline rubline

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2010, 08:51 PM »
  Rick from little man traps did not make it to the derby, he said he will try to make it next year. I am trying to talk him into showing up at the Sebago Derby.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.