Author Topic: Ice suits  (Read 11927 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Ice suits
« on: Sep 30, 2004, 09:50 PM »
Any of you guys know of any good, very warm ice suits that I could buy? I am in the market for a new one as I have grown bigger than my old carhart one.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
Re: Ice suits
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2004, 05:43 AM »
Clam just came out with a line of clothing, but it's pricey.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2004, 05:57 AM »
ouch 300 bucks!!is a little pricey,but i paid almost that much for my skiing jacket,12 years ago!!!and it is still an awesome jacket although i barely ski anymore it makes a dandy of an ice fishing jacket.so i would actually like to buy just the pants from clam but they only sell the jacket and pants together  :-\

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2004, 06:28 AM »
Billditrite,
      You may want to look at the Cabela's GuideWear Gore-Tex Bibs. They have several styles(insulated and un-insulated)to fit your needs. I haven't found anything I like better.
Ken                                          

Offline wolverine-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2004, 10:16 PM »
I just picked up some arctic shield  bibs and jacket. May get the gloves soon...A step up from my carhardts. They`ve retired to wood cutting detaill,not completetly out of the loop LOL...

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2004, 01:45 PM »
i got the new clam suit, love the padded knees but......the padded butt feels like you have a load in your shorts :o

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2004, 06:09 PM »
Got to agree with Bean. The Cabela's gore-tex pants are great. They are designed so that they are waist high with suspenders. Unlike my Carharts which come all the way to the top of your chest. For those of us who are rather stout, the Carharts seem a little restrictive when sitting. The Cabela's being only waist high are more comfortable for me when sitting. Also the knees are reinforced. Also, you can't beat Cabela's guarantee.

packerbacker
Winners don't know they're in a race.

They just like to run.

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2004, 09:43 PM »
I know im not the only one here who wears good 'ole cartharts ???  i personally love them and stay warm in them, i honestly cant think of a day where i had the wind cut threw them.
Jason

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2004, 10:43 AM »
I picked up a Sorel Downpour jacket and pants at Dick's Sporting Goods; $79 for the jacket, $59 for the pants.  Waterproof, windproof, and really tough.  Bought them a little big so I can layer underneath them.  Fleece lined long underware, fleece pants and shirt, fleece jacket and then the Sorel shell.  Should be good to go in any weather.  Layering is the key.... you get too hot, take a layer off!

Gillman

« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2004, 10:30 AM »
How does the Refrigiwear compare?  Can get a setup lots cheaper than the Cabela stuff, but its not waterproof from what I see.  Is the Cabelas Gore-tex outfit with the thinsulate really warmer than the carhartt articwear bibs and coat?

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2004, 11:11 AM »
How does the Refrigiwear compare?  Can get a setup lots cheaper than the Cabela stuff, but its not waterproof from what I see.  Is the Cabelas Gore-tex outfit with the thinsulate really warmer than the carhartt articwear bibs and coat?
I would say yes. The Gore-tex is 100% wind proof. Used to have carhartts, and have felt the wind blowing throught. JMHO

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2004, 08:47 AM »
Refrigiwear is the best I have found.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2005, 05:11 PM »
TFB,
Go to www.arcticshield.com and check there stuff out. Its probably the best out there right now for shear warmth.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline livin4ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2005, 08:22 PM »
I looked at a set of the Ice Armor from Clam.  I was disapointed in the ammount of insulation.  I know they encourage layering but for the price I was still disapointed.  I went to Gander Mountain and found a clearance sale on their Gortex Bibs and Parka.  They are low on insulation but I can layer underneath the same as I would have to with Ice Armor.  The other nice thing is since they are water proof I can wear them in the fall and early spring for soft water fishing.  The best thing of all....I got the set for under $150.

Mike

Offline UncleFluffy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2005, 02:16 PM »
I recently purchased Cabela's Snowy Range Suit.  It's marketed as a snowmobile suit, but it's built much tougher.  200 grams of Thinsulate, internal leg gaiters to keep out the draft, waterproof and teflon coated, reinforced knees and elbows, and an incredible hood for those really nasty days.  I think they're running a sale on them right now.  About $130 bucks. 

Kent V.
Kent Vanderploeg

Put Them Back...Put Them All Back.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2005, 05:20 PM »
I just bought the Cabelas insulated Guidewear.  It is awesome.  I saved about $50 because I found last years version in the bargain cave.  I actually liked it better because it has zippered pockets instead of the velcro ones.  This stuff ain't cheap, but if you price it over the next 10 years it's only $50 a year or so.  I fished in -4 degree temps a few nights ago and was very toasty inside that stuff.  In my shanty I had to strip down to the Cabelas Military Weight Polartec Power Stretch (union bibs) that I just bought.  Wow, what a difference this stuff makes.  I was tired of being cold.  I had just paid off the ol' credit card and felt the need to run it up again ;D

I actually went there to look at the Ice Armor, but this stuff seemed like it had better insulation.  The Guidewear doesn't have the padded knees or butt like the Ice Armor does, but the knees are reinforced for durability.  I figured that my butt has plenty of padding already ;D

My buddy bought the Ice Armor and loves it.  I think that he really likes the padded butt to protect him from the butt kickin that he gets on the ice by me :roflmao:
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2005, 05:27 PM »
Oh yeah, they have the blue/black combo if you want to blend in with everyone at the TAs!  But for me, I got the red and black.  That is so it will match my face when I'm pulling my Fish Trap thru 12" of snow :P  Naw, too much blue makes me sleepy... ;D
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Basshuntah

« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2005, 02:21 PM »
don't know much about the best ice fishing suit, but seems like the rest of the dudes in hear know whats up, thanks for the advice. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.