Author Topic: what do perch bite  (Read 1829 times)

Offline r.o

• IceShanty Rookie
what do perch bite
« on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:23 PM »
just a question
what do perch usually bite off of Im targeting perch tomorrow at American falls resivor  ??? ??? ???
plus the depth would help 

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: what do perch bite
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:26 PM »
Grubs, fathead minnows, perch eyes (one of my favs) as for jigs and spoons the list goes on and on but Kastmasters or swedish pimples work great

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:04 PM »
Hard to beat perch eyes.  I usually use a maggot on a glow hook, then switch to perch eyes after I catch one.

Offline gthfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:49 PM »
     perch eye or a strip of oerch neat with skin--lasts a long time too

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:50 PM »
Pretty much anything.  I usually use a night-crawler and switch to eyeballs also.  I end up with a lot of one eyed fish. Or some blind ones.  As for depth I like 15 to 25 start right on the bottom. But you can find them off the bottom almost all the way to the bottom of the ice.  Watch your line when your dropping it down.  If your jigging the bottom and they aren't biting watch your line as you drop it down. if it stops or twitches on the way down stop it there and jig a bit, or just lay the rod down on the ice and watch the tip for a bit. I have caught tons of perch way off the bottom doing this.  And usually the bigger ones are up off the bottom feeding.  I have even caught them on tip ups fishing for trout 4 feet below the ice.

Offline Tiger Mt Teal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2010, 07:16 PM »
Use small jigs and maggots.  Use about 5 or 6 maggots hooked thru the middle so they look like legs sticking out from the hook.  Genz worms work well too.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2010, 11:41 PM »
Lively fatheads and leeches work the best!  BUT, since this is Idaho, I have had my best luck on wax worms and preserved wigglers.

Jim

Offline Big_Z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2010, 11:16 AM »
I like wax worms over eyeballs or worms. Just put 3-4 on jig.

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No place I'd rather be, 'cept (ice)fishin' !!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:54 PM »
Hey r.o., I have been pounding cascade and tried cutbait but seem to do better on#8 or #10 ice flies tipped w/ crawlers. Even the 13" and 14"ers seem to bite slower on cutbait. Haven't tried eyeballs yet, but I will next time. Hogger

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.