Author Topic: Humminbird 898 si/ icefishing??  (Read 4628 times)

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Humminbird 898 si/ icefishing??
« on: Jan 27, 2010, 03:09 PM »
I am in the market for a new sonar with GPS plotting and side imaging, and after talking to some fellow fishermen, and countless hours of research, I think I'm going to buy the humminbird 898 si.  Question is, has anbody used one through the ice?  I heard the relay slows down when its really cold, but the side imaging would have its uses through the ice. 
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
Re: Humminbird 898 si/ icefishing??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2010, 03:41 PM »
I've wondered the exact same thing...been thinking about this since last summer, but have yet to see anything ever posted or written anywhere on the subject. I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work...I was thinking if the transducer is down the hole why couldn't you just "turn" it manually 360 deg. to simulate movement in a boat ? That way you would get a read out of everything around you....????
Duane

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2010, 04:34 PM »
I have read that if the boat is moving 3 mph you get the best image, which is impossible through the ice.  However, I also had a buddy tell me about a tourny were the guys used it and won fishing a gill crib, and everybody said they were cheating... I don't know about you, but having a vex, aqua view, lake map chartplotter, side imaging all in one unit especially for ice fishing,  :o we would have to definitely have daily bag limits on our waters  ;).  I can hear my prayor tonight... Dear Lord, I pray for a vex, aqua view or side imaging, lake map chartplotter all in one unit (one transducer), and fit in a 5 gallon bucket and only weight 8 pounds...  AMEN!

Offline Hog Daddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • old school - the "don't laugh " sled
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:25 PM »
I wouldn't worry about buying an expensive SI unit... I'd just follow Randy and fish wherever he fishes.  I have been looking/reading/ dreaming about those HB si units but hadn't thought of the on ice application.  Not sure what that video out plug does...but maybe I can hook it up to a big screen which I can mount on the back of the "don't laugh" sled.  This of course, would be after I first figure out how to mount this solar panel to charge my electric boots.  Not sure what kind of picture you get with the SI while sitting still... if you can figure out how to rout out an elongated hole of about 100 yrds or so then run up and down the ice at 3 mph while dangling the transducer.  Following Randy would just be easier.

HHD

Offline Hog Daddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • old school - the "don't laugh " sled
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:27 PM »
I am having doubts about the solar panel being able to keep up with both my electric boots and wide screen TV for the fishfinder since I think we have had 2 days of sunshine in the whole month of Jan so far.  Just thinkin out loud.

HHD

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:45 PM »
Call Humminbird and ask them. I fish a 343c portable, w/ the same transducer that came w/it. In my case I do not need an "ice ducer", even tho they sell one, they said , mine works just fine. As long as the ducer hangs level.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:59 PM »
The side imaging units I have seen on bass boats have a specialized transducer that allows the side imaging.  They are quite large compared to a 'normal' trasducer.  I don't think the SI transducer would fit well as a portable ice ducer and they don't work well when sitting in one place.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:09 PM »
Doug, quit over analyzing! Get the new HB for your boat and just keep using the vex for ice fishing. It's all good. Where would you put all this new stuff? In your wader pocket? Just take a compass [gps] and a mirror [side viewing] and the vex and ya got the same setup. Well kind of.
Paul

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:30 PM »
Doug, quit over analyzing! Get the new HB for your boat and just keep using the vex for ice fishing. It's all good. Where would you put all this new stuff? In your wader pocket? Just take a compass [gps] and a mirror [side viewing] and the vex and ya got the same setup. Well kind of.
Paul

Yeah, I've been also thinking about talking you into taking scuba diving classes specializing in ice diving   :P  Then, when will have no stone left unturned  ;).  We'll call you AquaPaul.  I hear they already do that on the tournment trail. 

Thanks for the replies... I'll call Humminbird and get the scoop, and post, if I come up with anything.

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2010, 05:32 AM »

Can you tell me again why you think you need sideview?  Just wondering?  ;D

Steuben1

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:54 AM »
I am in the market for a new sonar with GPS plotting and side imaging, and after talking to some fellow fishermen, and countless hours of research, I think I'm going to buy the humminbird 898 si.  Question is, has anbody used one through the ice?  I heard the relay slows down when its really cold, but the side imaging would have its uses through the ice. 
Doug I think you should get it, its a great buy Buddy-Hummingbird man here, and then I could borrow yours-lol

From what I have read on another sight Lowrance has lost there best Tech Support Lady here lately-Thats all i know and these guys were concerned.
Not knocking just reporting what I have read.
Tom

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:51 AM »
LOL,,getem boys,,sit down and just fish bra.cause ya know the square root of the angle of the earth on the winter solticse is only congreuant to the level of mercury  whle the moon is over the 3rd sun in its 12th phase....think about that now why dont ya,,,LMAO

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:53 AM »
I use a bobber
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:57 AM »
You know.....the red and white ones. I don't catch much
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline GIBBS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2010, 09:46 AM »
Can you skype with a 898 si ? If so i've got an idea. he he he.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2010, 06:13 PM »
LOL... JT, did your head explode thinking of that  ;D

Steuben, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile... ;)

Wallin, you're welcome to fish in my boat any day... but you don't get to borrow the Humminbird.

Jigmup, you probably have caught a walleye off of a red and white bobber... twice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.