Author Topic: LAKE ERIE  (Read 750 times)

Offline bop3c

• Team IceShanty Regular
LAKE ERIE
« on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:48 AM »
ICE FISHED ERIE SEVERAL TIMES IN PAST YEARS, KILLED THEM EVERY TIME . SEEM LIKE THE ICE WAS ALWAYS BEST LAST WEEK OF FEB, FIRST OF MARCH, WOULD LIKE TO GO THIS YEAR , IF ICE GETS GOOD. ALWAYS WAS A CHEAP TRIP ,AS IT ISN'T TOURIST SEASON. WENT OUT OF CRANE CREEK STATE PARK, TOOK OUR SLEDS MADE IT NICE . OTTAWA STATE PARK ALSO . MAYBE GET SOME GUYS TOGETHER AND CARAVAN UP THERE IF THE ICE DEVELOPS. 
      CHAMBER OF COMMERECE  ALWAYS GAVE US GOOD REPORTS ON ICE AND FISHING CONDITIONS. CANT REMEMBER EXACTLY WHAT TOWN WE TALKED TO ,BUT IT WAS RIGHT BY "BESSE DAVIS "  NUCLEAR PLANT.  TURTLE CREEK AREA .  ANYONE INTERESTED ,MAYBE DO A LITTLE DIGGING AND POST WHAT YOU CAN FIND OUT. 
  IT IS A TRIP OF A LIFETIME, IF YOU HIT IT RIGHT.   LOT OF 8 10 # FISH !!!      JUST A SUGGESTION ....

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: LAKE ERIE
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:28 AM »
With the southwest winds and warm temps we have had this year, I really don't think ice fishing on Erie this year is gonna be a possibility.  This is just what I have heard from some Captains on the lake.

Steuben1

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2010, 11:21 AM »
They had been getting out until Jan. 23rd. Thats when things got bad. I don't know how long they had been fishing but we were scheduled to go up on the 24th but it was cancelled due to a ridge opening up.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline ultralight

• IceShanty Rookie
  • .......get the gaff......
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2010, 12:04 PM »
They were fishing the week of 18th to 23rd. Ice was good and bad. Most was 8 inches but where the air boats would go they would break thru. Had to really watch where you went. My wife and I went out on the 23rd with Capt. Mike. Went 8 miles out. Slow at first but by noon here comes the fish. We got our 12 and were from 19 to 24 inchs. 6 of us in that group, all got their limits. Not good all season so far from Crane or CampPerry. Cataba only way so far, at least until the big warm up and the wind. Hopefully it will get cold enough to go again. Largest fish caught on my trip was 12 lbs. Had a great time but a long way out.   

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2010, 03:12 PM »
Last Sat John Gillespie's Waters & Woods was on and they fished Erie. They filmed that show the prior Monday or Tuesday. They caught alot of nice fish. Would love to go sometime as it's not a bad drive from here.
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline waterfowler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2010, 03:38 PM »
when you say you went out 8 miles thats a long ways out on the ice how deep of water were you in? and do you really need to go out that far?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.