Author Topic: Family fishing trip need advise  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Bullgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
Family fishing trip need advise
« on: Jan 26, 2010, 11:31 AM »
I am planning on going on a family fishing trip this summer with my wife and 4 kids ages 7-5-3-1. I have picked Wisconsin.. I am looking for a lake to fish and a place to stay , we have our own boat, I am a avid angler, and I can't keep fishing rods out of my wife and 3 oldest kids hands which is a great thing and great fun.... I want to target panfish and walleye, so if anyone on the board has been anywhere in WI and would like to share it with me it would be much appreciated.  Just looking for a nice get away and great fishing to keep the kids busy, we want to stay in a cabin or lodge no camping, quiet and peacefull...

Thanks

Bullgills

Offline DOC

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Family fishing trip need advise
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2010, 11:42 AM »
Its been a LONG while since I've been up north (Minoqua area) but your possibilities are almost endless.  I'd google some resorts up north & just start weeding through them.  Another good thing to do would be to hit the outdoor/boat/fishing shows - they usually have lodges set up in booths - you can ask questions & book right there if you want.

Another thing to consider is the area & what else it offers.  We used to stay on Lac Du Flambeau which was near Minoqua (sp?) - they have a nice downtown area (a great ice cream/fudge shop if I recall) and a waterski show - there was also petting zoo (Wildwoods?) anyway - maybe find an area that offers something else for the kids when not fishing.

Once you get north of Green Bay I don't think you can drive 20 miles in any direction without hitting a lake or a giant statue of Paul Bunyan.

Like I said - there are limitless possibilities in the land of cheese.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2010, 11:42 AM »
I would take a look at Lake Winnebago. There should be plenty of activities in the area for all ages and the perch fishing is awesome.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2010, 12:40 PM »
May want to consider the Wisconsin Dells.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline scuba268

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Skoal, Gills and Fried Potatos
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2010, 12:59 PM »
Long Lake.........Lots of nice fish and lots of BIG smallmouth.
Bruce

Offline moonbeam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2010, 01:13 PM »
You might give the folks on Wisc forum a bump.
WAIVER....."NO ANIMALS WERE ABUSED OR INJURED MAKING THIS MESSAGE."

Offline mbluka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2010, 01:39 PM »
I am planning on going on a family fishing trip this summer with my wife and 4 kids ages 7-5-3-1. I have picked Wisconsin.. I am looking for a lake to fish and a place to stay , we have our own boat, I am a avid angler, and I can't keep fishing rods out of my wife and 3 oldest kids hands which is a great thing and great fun.... I want to target panfish and walleye, so if anyone on the board has been anywhere in WI and would like to share it with me it would be much appreciated.  Just looking for a nice get away and great fishing to keep the kids busy, we want to stay in a cabin or lodge no camping, quiet and peacefull...

Thanks

Bullgills
Bullgills
,If a FISHING trip is what your looking for I would consider driving a couple more hours north to lake Vermilion MN. Recommend west portion of lake(more protected water)all the nice blue gills you care to catch in weedy bays,Walleys will most likely be on mud flats on spinner rigs(no snags,important with kids)work shorelines with spinner baits in evening for pike,bass,musky.Close to town of Tower or Virgina,also check out iron mine @ state park. Lots of nice family resorts to stay at.Easy lake to fish,scenery second to none,very pretty lake.

Offline Bullgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2010, 02:44 PM »
Yea I have been doing a lot of google serches and, I am ready to pull my hair out, their are places to fish everywhere, but I have never been to Wi, and feel just plain stupid to it so I thought why not ask for sonme direction from everybody, and put me on the spot instead of takeing a uneducated guess...

Offline Bullgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:04 PM »
ok I am looking at the possiblity of driveing a few more hours to MN to Rainy Lake, Leech Lake, or Vermillion Lake any thought here?

Offline panfishman50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:19 PM »

Thanks

Bullgills
  Been quite a few years since I've been to Wisconsin to fish but we went to Sauk City before and fished on the Wisconsin River by the Dam and above that is Wisconsin Lake. Lots of walleyes, smallmouth bass, white bass,crappies. ect. They also had cabins there to stay in. That might have all changed by now but worth checking into.

Offline DOC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2010, 11:39 AM »
ok I am looking at the possiblity of driveing a few more hours to MN to Rainy Lake, Leech Lake, or Vermillion Lake any thought here?

If you are willing to drive that far let me toss another option at you (especially in the Rainy lake area) - one of the best family vacations we ever took was to rent a houseboat up there - several outfits & lakes to choose from - we were on Namakan/Kabetogema but made our way to Kettle Falls & Rainy Lake - just an unbelieveable trip - you have miles of lakeshore, countless islands & coves - all to yourself - islands & beaches to tie up & camp for the night (we never stayed at the same spot twice).  You just tow your boat behind from point to point - set up base camp (tie up the boat) for the day and off you go.   Most of the newer houseboats have swim slides, BBQ grill, and some even have hot tubs now.

Its one of those trips you'll never forget & want to do again.

Anyway look up Rainy Lake Houseboats or Ebel's Houseboats - there are probably more but those come to mind. 

Offline Daybreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2010, 01:51 PM »
Long Lake.........Lots of nice fish and lots of BIG smallmouth.

I have been to Long Lake in Washburn county several times in the spring and fall.  We fished for bluegills and crappies mostly, but always managed to find a morning or evening to get in a little weedline walleye fishing.  There are several resorts on the lake, I'm sure you could find. (don't remember their names now - we stayed in a private cabin).  Anyway, we always found the fish in this lake.  It is similar to our natural lakes in northern Indiana. 
   The Canadian shield lakes of northern Minnesota can be difficult to navigate as you learn them.  Lots of islands and underwater reefs.  A GPS lake map would be a must.  There is good fishing when you find them, but I know of a few groups of guys who were very dissapointed on their first trip.
   There are other lakes close to Long Lake as well that have excellent panfishing.  Chetec Lake chain I know has a pretty good reputation.  Good Luck!

Offline Bullgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2010, 06:00 PM »
Well I have decided on Lake Vermilion in Minnesota, thanks for all your input guys, it was much appreciated!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.