The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Quimby buys more land  (Read 10908 times)

Offline SCARFISH1

• IceShanty Rookie
Quimby buys more land
« on: Jan 26, 2010, 07:15 AM »
   Well she's bought more land that at some point down the road there will be no or a limited access too.
Bangor Daily says the land is in Township 7 Range 9 NWP, Township 6 Range 9 NWP (the Katahdin Iron Works Township), and Barnard Township. This includes the ITS 110. The land that she purchased a few years ago is now totally blocked off, even access to river campsites along East Branch of Penobscot. And I thought all the rain was bad.  >:(   

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
Re: Quimby buys more land
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2010, 07:22 AM »
I knew that 110 was closed this winter, but was told it was due to a logging operation on the Browneville Jct. side.  She's come a long way from being a waitress at Wagon Wheel in Abbot.   :-\
Brian<br />Nil Carborundum Illigimiti

Offline mtaeagles15

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:11 AM »
I knew that 110 was closed this winter, but was told it was due to a logging operation on the Browneville Jct. side.  She's come a long way from being a waitress at Wagon Wheel in Abbot.   :-\

ive a heard a few stories from the famous wagon wheel, i guess there been a few crazy nights there. specially durring hunting season
Wide open throttle and Coors in a bottle.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:23 AM »
BAN ROXANNE!!! >:D

Offline yukoncornelius

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:24 AM »
i prefer roxanne over plum creek

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:30 AM »
from what I see and have only been in the area of plum creeks a few times   and one more tommorrow......I believe they need help in the economy  I never have complained about the roads or higher prices after my first trip to rockwood  My roads are almost gold paved superhighways compaired to theirs!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:32 AM »
from what I see and have only been in the area of plum creeks a few times   and one more tommorrow......I believe they need help in the economy  I never have complained about the roads or higher prices after my first trip to rockwood  My roads are almost gold paved superhighways compaired to theirs!

Rt 15 north of Greenville is much better now - they did a lot of work on it last spring.  Having said that, Between Guilford and Greenville has got to be one of the worst roads in the state. 

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:33 AM »
I think Roxanne bans ALL access to land.....at least plum creek will still allow us to use the land with snowmobiles and wheelers....correct me if I'm wrong ???

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:35 AM »
No question that Roxanne is pretty contraversial.  From what I've heard, she's starting to come off her some of her extreme positions regarding access to her land.  I guess time will tell.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:36 AM »
one thing to think about   it is thier land  and only the locals have the right to talk to her or them about it
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:40 AM »
I got excited about that thread name until I realized which quimby you meant! At first I immediately thought about Mrs Quimby at Sebago. ;D
She is in the same boat as I am, can't afford to buy a flea a pair of mittens. ;D

The "money" Quimby will continue to get as much control as possible. :(
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:48 AM »
Having said that, Between Guilford and Greenville has got to be one of the worst roads in the state. 

Come on now between the Wagon Wheel and the Abbot Bakery that's a pretty good stretch of road in November!!!  ;)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:51 AM »
Come on now between the Wagon Wheel and the Abbot Bakery that's a pretty good stretch of road in November!!!  ;)

OK, point taken.  I normally turn off Rt 15 just past the Wheel onto dirt road back to camp, so don't travel that patch of pavement much.

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:58 AM »
I only go that wat to get the fresh doughnuts from the bakery reel good eats and nice people

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:07 AM »
home of the skidder tire donut!!!
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:55 AM »
Greetings All,

Here's a pretty good article about Roxanne, written by George Smith, the Executive Director of SAM.   As you'll see, she's starting to work work with Maine organizations to loosen restrictions to her property. 

http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/view/columns/5078292.html

Brian

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:57 AM »
Plum creek is way better than roxy.  She is totally no hunting.  The access issue is the least of the problems with her.

Offline ***WaterWolf***

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:59 AM »
Well she has found out that she needs to access most of her land by other private land so that has made her lighten up a bit. 

Offline yukoncornelius

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2010, 10:47 AM »
Plum creek is way better than roxy.  She is totally no hunting.  The access issue is the least of the problems with her.

i am an avid hunter, and i disagree

plum creek is a horrible stewards.....cutting deer yards, silting in streams, cutting down eagles nests

i'd rather not be able to hunt on land that is preserved, than have access to land that is more or less raped (with plans for development as well)

neither is my first preference, but.....

Offline Westerly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formerly bbpinecone
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2010, 10:57 AM »
In terms of conservation and preserving the character of the North Woods, I don't think a real estate investment company (Plum Creek) would be the one to trust.  You can't hunt on golf courses and resorts either...

Back in the day, I'm sure some people were up in arms when Percival Baxter started buying up huge tracts of land too, but that seems to have worked out all right for the people of Maine.  Thank God there isn't a t-shirt shop at Chimney Pond, or some junky gondola ferrying people to the tableland.  ::)

(I camped at several nice sites on the East Branch of the Penobscot last June and never saw a gate, posted signs or anything?)  ???

Offline MEbearhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2010, 11:03 AM »

AMEN!!! She is against hunting,fishing,trapping,walking,talking,breathing,etc,etc,etc!!!!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2010, 11:18 AM »
Plus, she's a real looker!!! :o ;D  Bring back the Wagon Wheel, if you ever walked out of there hungry, it was your own damn fault! ;D

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2010, 11:37 AM »
Plus, she's a real looker!!! :o ;D  Bring back the Wagon Wheel, if you ever walked out of there hungry, it was your own d**n fault! ;D

Agreed with all above!!  I think the owner is caught between a rock and hard place - He doesn't have the time or patience to run it, and can't get the money he's looking for to sell it. 

Having said that, there is a new place that opened up in Guilford late last summer - Kate's or Katie's - Try their prime rib special on Saturday or Sunday afternoon.  For $10.00 you get a lot of good food. 

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2010, 11:37 AM »
Plus, she's a real looker!!! :o ;D  Bring back the Wagon Wheel, if you ever walked out of there hungry, it was your own d**n fault! ;D
Are you sure.... :sick:

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2010, 11:40 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

That's funny right there - I'm guessing GF had tongue in cheek...

Offline MEbearhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2010, 12:36 PM »

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2010, 12:45 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
LOL some poor guy thought she was.  She has a son and for what its worth he supposedly likes to hunt.  Go figure

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 26, 2010, 12:48 PM »
LOL some poor guy thought she was.  She has a son and for what its worth he supposedly likes to hunt.  Go figure
LIKED to hunt...past tense....I think SHE wears the PANTS in that family :flex: ;)2

Offline freezer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 26, 2010, 12:49 PM »
So many double standards.  I have the right to own guns and do what I want with my property, but she isn't allowed to do what she wants with her property. ???  

She is just doing what she thinks is right with her money.  If people play nice and work with her she is more likely to allow access.  If you come out as a hypocrite saying she doesn't have the right to do what she wants with her money and her land, but you have the right to do what ever you want, I don't think you deserve access.

Offline ferrari175

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 26, 2010, 12:49 PM »
i am an avid hunter, and i disagree

plum creek is a horrible stewards.....cutting deer yards, silting in streams, cutting down eagles nests

i'd rather not be able to hunt on land that is preserved, than have access to land that is more or less raped (with plans for development as well)

neither is my first preference, but.....

I would second that, at least with roxie there is the potential that hunting will eventually be allowed, she has been slowly changing and if enough of us write her well thought out and properly worded POLITE letters explaining your position, the heritage of the land and what it means to you to hunt and fish that specific piece of land you would like to use, we might actually see a huge change, with plum creek (there roads are nice ), some day some of that land will have developments such as moose head.  Plum creek is the number 1 landowner in the USA ..... just think about that for a minuet

It is a PRIVILEGE to take any animals life not a right and that privilege comes with some responsibility a license to fish and hunt is a license to be a sportsman not a license to kill

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.