Author Topic: Man Down  (Read 2852 times)

Offline Yogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Man Down
« on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:57 PM »
I write this report because I care about the safety of all fisherman.  Today was a life lesson and I am glad that I am here to write this to everybody.  I was fishing with my fishing partner TBURT.  We went to a lake where I fished on Wed.  The ice was a good 7 to 8 inches of good ice. I was amazed to see we lost between 5 and 6 inches of ice since then. I went there today thinking that the ice was safe.  I was even thinking about bringing the shanty so we could get out of the rain and fish in it.  I got my tip up set up and was walking over to TBURT to get the bait for blue gills when he yelled at me to stay away the ice was thin.  We looked at each other and I was truly shocked.  I no sooner got the words out of my mouth that the ice didnt feel very good when I started to walk away it happened.  I was felt the ice start to sink and the next thing I know I am in the water.  It was 8 fow.  People say well that isnt that deep and I had somebody tell me that today.  I want to stress that you can drown in 4 fow.  I was in the middle of the channel.  This is the part I want to stress to everybody because it was mistakes I made.  The first mistake was I took the ice for granted.  I figured that the ice was going to be safe.  I still think that it should have been.  The worst part was I had my spud bar in the back of my truck.  If I would have just brought the spud bar I probably wouldnt have fallen through.  The second part was I didnt have my ice picks around my neck.  I found out real quick how I could have used though.  It was a real tuff time getting out of the water.  The ice was so slipperey I couldnt get a grip.  I was only in the water for 3 to 5 minutes but it felt like ever.  I started to panic and had enough sense to tell myself that I had to stay calm.  That really helped me.  I was then able to gain control of my breathing ande kinda sorta relax and think about a plan to get out.  It is such a helpless feeling.  We didnt have a rope which was another mistake.  I was finally able to put my back up to the ice and lift myself high enough I was able to roll out of the water and onto the ice.  I then crawled as fast as I could away from where I fell through at.  I was soaked from head to toe.  I went under the water that was the scariest part.  I lost a blackberry out of the deal.  I feel very lucky that was it.  I write this because I feel like I am a very careful ice fisherman.  I dont take chances and today I didnt think I was.  Please learn from my mistakes.  I feel thankful I am here to tell you.  It was a wake up call to me and I hope it is a wake up call to everybody else.

Offline drk_denman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Man Down
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2010, 10:11 PM »
That is great that you are ok i know how you feel i was out this morning on what i tought was safe ice and spuding out around 20 feet and found out that barely droping the spud bar it went thru and i got off the ice as fast as possible.  And on the way back i received a call from my mother saying that my uncle passed away it is amazing that just this morning we were joking around and talking and by 1 oclock he passed away from no apparant reason other then complaining of having problems breathing.  It is amazing how one moment we are here and the very next everyone of us can be gone.... every one stay safe on the ice no one needs to deal with a death over a fish!!! STAY SAFE!!!
Triple D

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2010, 10:20 PM »
Thanks for posting this. Im glad youre ok. I had guys teasing me about my picks around my kneck at the PCCC derby yesturday. Im just as used to them as my other gear. Never know when youre gonna need em.
DRK= Sorry to here about your uncle.

Offline drk_denman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2010, 10:29 PM »
Thanks and i was going to try and get him out today on the ice if it was safe he was 58 and never been ice fishing but its never to early to try and introduce them to this great sport.
Triple D

Offline jhc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2010, 10:41 PM »
I Broke through the Ice Two Season's ago,I know first hand how you feel,
Drove around area Lakes in my County,and the Ice sure Looks bad....
Will give it some more time,but soon my attention will shift to early Spring Fishing.
Be Safe Out there........

Offline Retired-UAW

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Personal Best 7 lbs even
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2010, 10:46 PM »
WHEN IN DOUT. :-\ DON'T GO OUT ;D BEING :o DOESN'T SOUND LIKE FUN :'(   GREAT STORY FOR THE NEW MEMBERS TO READ.
\\\"WORK\\\" is for people who don`t know how to \\\"FISH\\\"

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2010, 10:48 PM »
Glad your ok! I knew when I got off the ice saturday that was it for me until everything tightens back up. Be safe out there, always check the ice, especially during big warmups...

Offline Fergie2u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2010, 10:57 PM »
Glad your ok! I knew when I got off the ice saturday that was it for me until everything tightens back up. Be safe out there, always check the ice, especially during big warmups...

+1

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2010, 11:22 PM »
Yikes!!!!   :o :o  First let me say glad you are OK, but man you are lucky. 

You already know this but you did just about everything possible to make it very hard on yourself.  No spud, no picks, and no rope after 2 days of 40+ degree weather, rain and wind?  Did you not notice the bad ice when you drilled your holes?  The ice we had around here was half good ice and half and snow ice.  The snow ice goes quick during a warmup with rain and wind.  I will not even think about going out until next weekend....then I will check several times on my way out.

Do you mind saying what lake you were on or at least what part of the state?  NE, NW, NC....?

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2010, 12:51 AM »
hey what is your email I will blackberry messenger you maybe the fish will text back. LOL  Just kidding glad to hear your alright. I have been through too in about 12', scary! I didn't even go the ice looks horrible. hopefully it gets better here soon.
Gator Nation

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2010, 04:36 AM »
Yogi,

Really glad to hear you are ok.  Blackberrys are easy to replace.  Nice work getting out.

Now the bad stuff.

You are a veteran of ice fishing.  40 degrees, rain, no pics, no spud, no rope.  Shame on you!  You know better!  Ice fishing is CLOSED!  Stay off the ice until this coming weekend!

Steuben1

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:03 AM »
Yogi man Iam glad your ok what can I say that you dont already know, I floated my hat bout 15 years back same thing we just had a big warm up 12" of ice isnt always 12" of good ice brother so glad your still here to tell about it.
fishing is hard can I go home now

Offline Flypopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:32 AM »
Glad you made it out and sorry to hear about your uncle, I don't go out without my pic's 6" or 36" doesn't matter I only worry about the other guys who don't have them with them and want mine if they fall thru! Then where am I if I fall thru next? Make sure all your partners have them on before going out

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:38 AM »
Thank God you are ok! I've been in the same pair of shoes brotha. DRK, I'm sorry for your loss and my prayers go out to your family.
People, Forget about even checking the ice unless you have picks and a spud as well as a rope and a buddy. We'll be back on ice soon enough so don't push your luck. I saw 4 inches of good ice and then 10 foot away 1 inch of good with 4 inches of junk. Without x-ray vision there will be alot of swimming.

Yogi thanks for your post, I'm sorry you had to endure one of the scariest things this sport can dish out. Glad your safe now!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline JP-TKO

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • commander of team TKO!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:58 AM »
been there an it is a very scary thing, went through on sylvan once a few years back at gene stratton porter. was trying to step across a crack that was wider than i thought. down i went, no picks no partner to help. u do have to calm urself cuz ur breathing gets very fast . i managed to get out somehow , guess god was watchin over me that day. glad ur ok. what lake was u on if u dont mind saying. fishtko an i an icemachiner fished yesterday till 1 oclock . was glad when my feet hit shore. im 33 an to old for a another baptism! i think ice will be good to go in a couple days around here with the looks of the temps we are gonna have.
i love when people say, well im markin them ,but i just cant get them to bite. im not there to fish, im there to catch!!!! can i try ur hole!!

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:51 AM »
Thanks for the post... sorry the re-fresher was at your expense, but it is always good to remind everybody that the ice don't care how much experience you have... if you don't play it smart, you're going for a swim.  Glad you're okay.
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:19 AM »
The most important thing is you made it!
2nd Thank you so much for sharing your story to help others! ;D
God was watching over you! ;D
Greg
Fish on!

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:45 AM »
Wearing some sort of Life vest is also a good Idea.  And wearing your picks around your neck don't they float off. Where is the proper place to wear them?  Still glad to hear your OK.

Offline lil-skipper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:50 AM »
  :o :o : ;) ;)  I'm glad to hear you are safe and warm again. That being said there is no reason to lecture you, on what you already know, and what you learned again.  You did remind me that I need to buy my picks on a cord, because the one I had , I lost. When I hear a frightful tale like you had, lt makes me a little stupid that I didn't remember to replace them immediately. I will do that today. Now as far as the thickness of the ice goes, after wind, rain and warm tempertures, I do believe, I'll wait a few days while this cold front gets a chance to stiffen things up again.  I'll say it again, I wish you God's speed and am feeling good that you learned a good lesson.   :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:26 AM »
Glad you made it! loosin the phone sucks but can be replaced. i just may have to finish this week out goose hunting and wait for the ice to tighten up towards the weekend. Stay safe guys, hey go kill some geese if you cant get on the fish!!
Got one goin'!

Offline OLD ESOX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:48 AM »
Sorry to here about your uncle, glad you are safe and warm. My wifes uncle went through about 4yrs ago. he went through on wawa, got out but the cold had already got to him. He had been ice fishing for 50 plus yrs. You know it goes to show it don't matter your experience or your age or luck if it's your time it's your time.  PLEASE BECAREFUL OUT THERE WE ARE A DYING BREED!!!!!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:14 AM »
Wearing some sort of Life vest is also a good Idea.  And wearing your picks around your neck don't they float off. Where is the proper place to wear them?  Still glad to hear your OK.

There are at lest 2 kinds of picks out there.  There is one set where the points interlock in the other pick so they form a 'necklace' around your neck.  The picks are attched to each other by a coiled cord like on an old phone.  The second type don't interlock and are attahced to each other by a longer non coiled cord.  I have this type and hang them around my neck and put the pick parts inside my bibs.  They won't fall off if I go in and I can easily get to them if needed.

Offline Yogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:25 AM »
I was on Snow Lake.  Nothing to hide about that.  It was in North Snow Bay.  The worst part about it is that I know people will be fishing it all week.  The ice was great where I first started.  Felt tight and was still pretty good clear ice.  I found real quickly however that it wasnt consistant.  Please be careful!!!!! I learned my lesson and hope other people will without going through what I had to!!

Offline Gill Gitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good friends -- Great times
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2010, 12:41 PM »
I was on Snow Lake.  Nothing to hide about that.  It was in North Snow Bay.  The worst part about it is that I know people will be fishing it all week.  The ice was great where I first started.  Felt tight and was still pretty good clear ice.  I found real quickly however that it wasnt consistant.  Please be careful!!!!! I learned my lesson and hope other people will without going through what I had to!!
glad to see the good lord was watching over you!

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2010, 12:43 PM »
There are at lest 2 kinds of picks out there.  There is one set where the points interlock in the other pick so they form a 'necklace' around your neck.  The picks are attched to each other by a coiled cord like on an old phone.  The second type don't interlock and are attahced to each other by a longer non coiled cord.  I have this type and hang them around my neck and put the pick parts inside my bibs.  They won't fall off if I go in and I can easily get to them if needed.
I have the picks that fit together with the telephone cord.  I have always worn them around my waist hoping I could find them if I fell in?  And this year started to wear a life vest just while traveling on the ice at least.

Offline camocrazy82

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here Fishy, Fishy, Fishy!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2010, 06:16 PM »
A little tip on the pics with the coiled cord. Dont push them in too hard or youll fight to get them apart if you need them quickley.  ;)

Offline the_iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2010, 06:21 PM »
wow glad your ok i fish up north in Steuben county. were bouts were you fishing when you whent through? were you down south? what lake?

Offline drk_denman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2010, 06:27 PM »
Triple D

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2010, 06:28 PM »
Yogi said he was on snow lake? When he fell in what part of the state is that in?  I fish around Valparaiso and don't know where its at.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2010, 06:53 PM »
Yogi said he was on snow lake? When he fell in what part of the state is that in?  I fish around Valparaiso and don't know where its at.

Snow lake is in Angola. Part of the James chain.  NE part of the state.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.