Author Topic: funny thing happened today  (Read 4866 times)

Offline rjflynn

• Team IceShanty Addict
funny thing happened today
« on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:22 PM »
OK guys get this. I'm in my shanty today jiggin up some fish when my wife calls my cell. Reluctantly I answer since i see a red line on my vex. I talk to hear for bout 5 mins and then hang up. All along my vex is lighting up. As i am watching red lines getting near my jig i try to put my cell in the front pocket of my bibs. In all concertration on my vex i miss my pocket and my cell falls. As i watch it fall it becomes clear to me that i seriously messed up. My phone land right in the middle of my 4 inch auger hole and i watch it drift ten feet to the bottom of  the lake. :'(  Hope you got a kick outta my mishap. Tight lines and bent rods to all.

Offline gaddabout

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't catch um-hunt um!
Re: funny thing happened today
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:27 PM »
bummer..hope you have insurance...
Fishy Fishy In da Brook,Come Bite On Grandpa's Hook!

Gaddabout is my nickname, No affiliation with the newspaper.

Offline moonbeam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:29 PM »
Must be a guy thing......you know the inability to do two things at once ;D
WAIVER....."NO ANIMALS WERE ABUSED OR INJURED MAKING THIS MESSAGE."

Offline rjflynn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:29 PM »
bummer..hope you have insurance...
nope dont believe in it but i guess i will get it from now on. Its all my wife's fault anyway. i wouldn't have taken it out of my pocket if she hadn't called.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:33 PM »
LMAO RJ!  I did the same thing 2 years ago on lake wawasee.  I leaned over to turn a fish loose and my phone popped out of my pocket and went right in the hole I had my aqua vu camera in!

Offline rjflynn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:37 PM »
Did you see it on your camera

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:39 PM »
Hears one that will really make you laugh. Last year one of my fishing partners leaned over the hole and dropped his glasses in the hole. Luck had it , I had my aqua view and after about 1 1/2 hours finally hooked them. Couldnt believe it. Glasses cost 350-----the best catch of the nite.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:42 PM »
Did you see it on your camera

Oh yeah...I could see it...but I knew it was toast after being submerged so I did not even try to get it.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:52 PM »
My father in law dropped his cell in the slough earlier this year, right after he dropped his pliers in.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline moonbeam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:58 PM »
Just an idea for future mishaps. A Bell jar and vacuum pump can be used to remove water from submerged items. Used to use this at work when the old style wristwatches got wet. Couple hours under vacuum and they usually survived. Granted not everyone has this setup at home but the idea can be utilized in other fashions (shop vac into a paint can????). Just thinking........
WAIVER....."NO ANIMALS WERE ABUSED OR INJURED MAKING THIS MESSAGE."

Offline slowkota

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Biggest jumbo yellabellies
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2010, 09:04 PM »
Most times if you recover the cellphone (or most electronics for that matter), and remove the battery as soon as possible, then put it into a whole bunch of dry uncooked rice for like a week or two, the rice sucks all of the moisture out... the key is to not try to turn on the cellphone once it has gotten wet (resist temptation!)

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2010, 09:13 PM »
Most times if you recover the cellphone (or most electronics for that matter), and remove the battery as soon as possible, then put it into a whole bunch of dry uncooked rice for like a week or two, the rice sucks all of the moisture out... the key is to not try to turn on the cellphone once it has gotten wet (resist temptation!)

If the phone was on when you dropped it in, it will likely be unusable again.  Water on those chips and circut boards will cause all kinds of shorts, etc. if it was powered on when submerged.

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2010, 09:16 PM »
I have known two different people who have dropped cell phones into water and they have both said the same thing: get the battery out and then place in the coldest part of a freezer. (Can you imagine a really cold day on the ice?) Then put the phone into a self-defrosting freezer for a couple of weeks. They both said it worked?!

Sorry about your bad luck - this is why I never take my phone out near a hole or on the water until I am certainly in a safe? area. I am too unlucky to trust myself to do this near an open hole. Hopefully I learned something on here.

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2010, 09:18 PM »
Ive lost a cell phone in Lake Mich bend over to grab mooring rope. I also lost a pair of glasses in St Joe river. That was a long night driving home half blind.

Offline slowkota

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Biggest jumbo yellabellies
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2010, 09:33 PM »
If the phone was on when you dropped it in, it will likely be unusable again.  Water on those chips and circut boards will cause all kinds of shorts, etc. if it was powered on when submerged.

Its been proven to be pretty successful time and time again, with most phones being "on" when submergance happened... Soooo I dunno really from experiance ???, but a bunch of people recommend it

Offline Gill Gitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good friends -- Great times
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2010, 09:45 PM »
rj, its ok like u said,"i wanted a new one anyways" sorry for laughing but that was funny stuff ;D

Offline Surly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2010, 09:48 PM »
Made a grabber for just this type of thing one of those aarp extenda reach things on a 10' piece of conduit works like a champ
The light at the end of the tunnel is usually an on coming train!!

Offline panfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2010, 06:12 AM »
I slipped and fell in the water one year bank fishing at the lake with my youngest son. After rolling around in the water like a giant seal for what seemed an eternity I figured it was time to go because we had attracted a crowd. We walked back to the car and loaded everything up, at which time I relized my phone was gone. Went back to the same spot, back into the water and there it was. Still on and three bars. More than twenty minutes in the drink. I immediately took the battery out and when I got home I took it apart and used the hair dryer to dry it out. The only moisture left was in between the LCD and the front glass. It eventually dissipated. The phone worked great and I carried it for another year at least.

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2010, 06:53 AM »
Three phones in the drink myself. Two in indiana and one in Minnesota. You GOTTA button that top button on the carhardts...I,ve got more than three phones in the hole, for sure...

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2010, 07:21 AM »
Should have tried this.....  ;D ;D ;D         

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2010, 07:35 AM »
Should have tried this.....  ;D ;D ;D         

Funny stuff,,,my old phone would have kept ringing,,good to 50 foot of water,,that be niceif your wantin to call fish in,,,lmao

Offline finfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2010, 07:39 AM »
Been there and done that myself...Chapman Lake, above ground pool once, on my deck overnight with 1.5" of rain.   Used the rice trick, hair dryer and oven....always got them working again.   I always button my phone pocket button now!!

Offline iceon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2010, 08:24 AM »
Well not so much a cell phone but three years ago on maxi I lost my GPS thru the hole. Sad Day.. 14ft. of water came back out that evening with a extenda pole with a make shift net and scooped it up. sat around the wooburner for a month and still wouldn't work. Its definitly sick feeling.....
 ICEON
Iceon

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:08 AM »
I've had mine slide out of my pocket in the dogs water bowl when I was sitting it back down. At least I could reach down and grab it.
I feel for you though. I also burn up a motorola flip phone right after they came out with them. I am a welder and used my small butane
pencil torch and threw it in a drawer that I kept my cell-phone and blue prints in. The problem was that I didn't shut it off. ::)
Greg
Fish on!

Offline LILDILL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:12 AM »

my phone worked after i jumped into a pool with it in my pocket
TIP-UP

Offline HartzSRU

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:14 AM »
I had that Happen to me last year in Erie only it wasnt my phone it was my car keys. I had them in the front pocket of my coveralls when I bent over to clean some slush out of my hole. They popped out of the pocket and luckily landed right in the middle of the scooper that I was using.

Offline GIBBS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2010, 12:32 PM »
Lost my favorite pocket knife yesterday R.J. I didn't see it go in but when i got home it was gone. Yep it stings a little.

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2010, 12:45 PM »
rj, its ok like u said,"i wanted a new one anyways" sorry for laughing but that was funny stuff ;D

I hope you didn't laugh too hard.  If RJ used a bigger auger then one of your spinning combos would be resting on the bottom of the lake with his phone!   ;D
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline donnie.dew

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hmmmm...Peaceful
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2010, 08:07 PM »
IS THAT WHY U WERE IN UR SHANTY OFFICE SO LONG,,U WERE SAULKIN',,WE THOUGHT U WAS IN A CONFERENCE,,,, :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline rjflynn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2010, 02:52 AM »
IS THAT WHY U WERE IN UR SHANTY OFFICE SO LONG,,U WERE SAULKIN',,WE THOUGHT U WAS IN A CONFERENCE,,,, :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Dont talk about me sittin in my shanty Tam. you were in yours a heck of alot longer than i was ever in mine ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.