Author Topic: Finally Finished... Phase One of my Otter Mini Sled Rack.  (Read 69583 times)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
Remembrance Day and Veterans Day
« Reply #120 on: Nov 11, 2012, 01:27 PM »

I will always thank those who have served in the past and given up so much to give us even more, in a future, for which they knew they would not be a part of.

I thank those that now serve for us all. I know our families will never forget what you have done for us ALL.

Watch this Video and pass it on.  So none of us will ever forget.

I Thank You " Dear Veterans" …

We All Thank You ...

AltaIce
        :)
  " I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Finally Finished... Phase One of my Otter Mini Sled Rack.
« Reply #121 on: Nov 11, 2012, 01:45 PM »
Nice job . Here is one I made last year.

MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #122 on: Nov 17, 2012, 05:05 PM »
Hi " wiredstone "

Great sled. You might be like me, likes to use and needs a real chair to sit on. I like how you have your seat, and it looks like it can come off fast and easy. ( if needed)

I like how you can use a wind deflector if it gets a little cool breeze or just have it out if you need a little shade over the Ice Fishing Hole.

Ever think of hauling a little extra frame with you. So you can maybe take off your seat and place a frame in the same place that could be the table or support for a little propane stove or some kind of cooking device? Tha way you do not have to put your stove on the ice, also to save one's knees from kneeling.

Once again.. Nice set up. and it looks nice and light.

Have a Great Weekend. Thanks for sharing and showing us your sled.   Cool.  (( Sorry it took me so long to reply. ))

AltaIce
          @)

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #123 on: Nov 17, 2012, 05:13 PM »
I have the HUB11 for a tent. The seat is from my Yukon. This is my recon sled. I am lucky and have good cooks fish with me  ;D Always bring a good cook and a young guys who likes to drill holes.lol
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #124 on: Nov 17, 2012, 05:17 PM »
I have the HUB11 for a tent. The seat is from my Yukon. This is my recon sled. I am lucky and have good cooks fish with me  ;D Always bring a good cook and a young guys who likes to drill holes.lol

……………………………………………..

LOL … Right on.  Light, fast, then your set up.  It was the Pack-Rat in me that always try's to pile everything on a sled…  LOL..

Have a Great Day Man.    Your right, why carry everything you don't use or need…. ok … Ok … don't tell my WIFE I said that. 

Cheers!
       AltaIce
          @)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #125 on: Nov 21, 2012, 02:51 PM »
Hi all.

Well it is not for fishing… But … but, it is made of PVC.  I made a FR Gun Holder for our work place.  Out of PVC, bathroom shower shelves. LOL.  Here is the other thread for  anything made of PVC, Etc. For fishing and for other things .. http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=181340.0
  Heck the Rack seems to work well.  Everything in it's place.
Have not posted a pic in many years.Lets see if I figured it out.   LOL .

Try number two, Lets see if these ones work.  Have A great Day Everyone, and a Even better Weekend.   Cheers!   
(( And thanks for all your pics and post of PVC stuff ))

AltaIce
       @)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #126 on: Nov 09, 2013, 02:38 PM »

Hey all,

Afternoon.  Been a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. Had a great summer and your looking forward to this new winter on the way?

AltaIce    @)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #127 on: Nov 09, 2013, 03:26 PM »

Everyone getting ready  for the season?

AltaIce    @)

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #128 on: Nov 09, 2013, 06:15 PM »
Are pulling the sled by hand?  One of my friends down in here in Colorado did a rack similar to yours, and when pulled by a snowmobile, it turned out to be too top heavy and he wound up having what looked like a "yard sale" in the middle of the lake.

There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #129 on: Nov 10, 2013, 09:17 AM »
Are you pulling the sled by hand?  One of my friends down in here in Colorado did a rack similar to yours, and when pulled by a snowmobile, it turned out to be too top heavy and he wound up having what looked like a "yard sale" in the middle of the lake.

Hey "Saw"   Ya, I have to pull it by hand and your right at that height and width they can be and are probably very top heavy or to tall when being pulled by a full power snowmobile. Since I can't run or pull that fast, I don't seem to have that problem at this time.  LOL.

Although your so right. With the width and height. I have only had once where she was going to tip over. but I knew in advance it would, cause it was up a hill.  and if you have ever four by four'd, it was a no brainer to know I was going to tip her.

After that near tip over… I did run so many plans through my head in regards to having removable - side skis to add on fast if needed to give it a wider and more stable path and track/foundation.  I can see if I had mine on the end of a snowmobile I would have to do that for sure, as it would be hard to not speed or slow down in the turns… PLUS, being the width that is it… at any speed faster than walking… one can see where even at a straight path it would intensify the slightest of any kinda of bump or even surface. So Ya I could see it.  I have to keep telling myself, that the turn "Top Heavy" only really comes in to play with the other factors we would come across and have to overcome, as the width and bottom heavy parts of the sled to keep it grounded with the most important  factor.. your pulling speed.

I would think that since your friend is pulling it with the snowmobile.. if he was to do a couple tweaks to his design he could make it work.

Just sat here and got shivers up my spine… Thinking in what in the heck I would build if I had a Snowmobile…. LOL .. Crap it would probably have a basement and a elevator.   LOL..

And … and  … When you say it could look like a yard sale..  Man, you are so right… LOL ..  But hey, I would have to say that even if I did not build my sled and rack to hold so much… as I have said in the past… I am the kind of person to still have the same amount of stuff on the ice I can carry now… but with out the convenience  of having most everything in its place.  Now have said that… no one has to tell me I pack and take way too much crap… LOL.
   But I have always been like that , cause I don't like to have that feeling of wanting something on hand or needed and it is not there or if I can't let someone we meet on the ice to borrow if they don't that one item they forgot to pack.

Sorry to have babbled… 

You have a great day and relook at your friends sled with the mind set of making it work for you and how your going to pull it.

Later, Take Care.

AltaIce     @)

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #130 on: Nov 11, 2013, 06:52 AM »
Outriggers, maybe skis, might be the deal, as long as there aren't any narrow trails to negotiate.  Good luck this year.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #131 on: Nov 16, 2013, 08:39 AM »
Outriggers, maybe skis, might be the deal, as long as there aren't any narrow trails to negotiate.  Good luck this year.

Thank you. You have a Great Season as well.

AltaIce   @)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #132 on: Sep 27, 2014, 11:35 AM »
Hi everyone!

Hope everybody had a safe and great summer.
Getting cooler out.  Who has already stated to work on getting their sled ready?  Who is building a new one for the next season?

Have a great day and a even better week.

Cheers,

AltaIce      @)

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
« Reply #133 on: Sep 27, 2014, 06:02 PM »
Gotta add a few new parts to my sled, other than that... Im ready to go!
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #134 on: Dec 20, 2014, 11:19 AM »
Hi Swampy45,

Hope you and yours are doing well this season?

How did your did the new parts turn out.  Had a chance to use the sled yet this year?

Enjoy your day and all those around you.

Be Safe, tight lines.

AltaIce
                   @)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #135 on: Dec 20, 2014, 11:22 AM »
Wishing everyone a safe holiday and a even better Ice Fishing season.

Be Safe and Be You!  Tight Lines to all.

Cheers!

AltaIce
        @)

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #136 on: Dec 06, 2015, 08:43 PM »
Hey Alta, I just discovered this thread and I could not find what material you used on the bottom of your sled for the runners. What material is it? Can you get that material at a hardware store or something? Thanks!

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #137 on: Dec 12, 2015, 04:33 PM »
Afternoon "E.S."

Sorry for the slow reply.

I got mine about 10 years back. But i did some checking and they still make em.  Mine were the Otter brand. 
If you google anything about " Hyrax Sled kits" you will see a lot of ideas.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Sled+Hyfax+Kit&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQo4HcrdfJAhUE_mMKHQMZAyAQsAQIUw&biw=1264&bih=751 
I know your right though.  I bet a person could make there own.  All the material looks like is a thick plastic. If one had a way to cut it, there must be some place a person could buy the plastic. I see now that " otter now sell ones that are blue. Look up " Otter Sled Hyrax Kits"  as well Rapala has a thinner kind.

If I was to make my own... I would make them of the thickest material, ( maybe even screw two Pcs. on top of each other...
and I think I would try to cut them a little wider..

Let us know how you make out..  I know that mine were way longer than my sled, so i did some heat forming and cutting.

I just looked in the basement.... I still have two full lengths left.... LOL.. 

Hope we are all on the Ice soon.   We look forward to seeing pics of your Ice Sled invention.

Take care ElectricSlide19

AltaIce

@)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #138 on: Dec 12, 2015, 04:40 PM »
Hey Alta, I just discovered this thread and I could not find what material you used on the bottom of your sled for the runners. What material is it? Can you get that material at a hardware store or something? Thanks!

Hi again ElectricSlide19
Shorter answer.... yes, I would think that one cold buy the material some where for sure.
I just came across this Video.... I did not watch it all but it looks like it will give you some ideas, Etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4VVrYfJa68

Have a great weekend and an even better week.

Tight lines

AltaIce

@)

Offline Laker66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #139 on: Dec 12, 2015, 06:43 PM »
Very nice rig. Very slick, good job.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #140 on: Dec 12, 2015, 10:59 PM »
Hi Laker66,

Thanks for the kind words....  I have not worked on it in a very very long time.

Would be nice to use it this year.. But I will have to see.

Earlier this year I was giving it some thought that I should Sell it or Donate it or just plain give it away.

But I'll see if I use it this year (winter).  and if i don't ... Who know maybe next year it will be toast.... LOL..

Thanks again for reading my thread and all the other great threads in IceShanty.

Cheers...

AltaIce

@)

Offline wcbarker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #141 on: Jan 02, 2016, 10:36 AM »
Hi All....
I LOVE my Otter 2 mini Ice sled,   and  for several reasons...
- They way they built it,it is very very strong for it's size. ( very thick bottom)
- It can fit in the back of most closed in vehicles.( well small SUV"S now I guess) ( before the rack it was some cars)
- It is easy to pull. ( before the Rack and now just as easy after the slides put on the bottom )
- AND the most important thing of all is.....  I  will never ever will carry anything on my Back again...LOL The rack is  even more important  now since I bought a 24 lb Ice tent this fall... and it lets me haul other people's stuff now even more..( why should they have to carry there things)

I JUST had to make a few  changes on it to suit me...  :)

First thing the WIFE SAID when she saw the  CAMO DUCT Tape... was .... " Ya know your a Redneck When!....."
All my fishing friends said when I pulled out the back of the Small SUV was... " Oh My Gawd " and Laughed...  ;D
I have been thinking of this build all summer.. and really wanted to use PVC. When I saw the Rod holder that " TubDude" built
and posted for us all. I started on the rod rack ... then I  could not stop thinking about more.. PVC for the rack. had some thoughts of it all summer. BUT when I saw pics of the older Sled that Bart built, when a diff style of PVC that gave the courage to try this one. :)

Here are some Pics of My Revamped " Otter Two Mini Ice sled" ( Phase one is now complete...LOL)

Take care ... Have fun on the Ice and with all those around you....AltaIce  ( Hope these pics work. )
(Image removed from quote.)
You are hired now get to work on mine. HA HA HA   very nice job

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #142 on: Jan 03, 2016, 10:39 AM »
Sunday Morning Hello - wcbarker,

Thank You - It is always a work in progress. LOL

So when do we start yours??  LOL..  Thanks again.

You and yours have an Excellent New Year. Build a sled and Be safe this season on the Ice.

AltaIce

@)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #143 on: Apr 29, 2016, 08:15 AM »

AltaIce
              @)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #144 on: Sep 19, 2016, 05:35 PM »
. Hi All..

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #145 on: Sep 21, 2016, 07:55 AM »
Hey!  This is a quiet place but ice fishing goers should start returning.  The geese go South the forum comes alive :)

How was your open water season Alta?

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #146 on: Dec 19, 2017, 05:22 PM »
Hey everyone!!

I'm back.. LOL

I hope all are doing well and this Holiday Season has been good to you and yours.

Take Care and be well.

AltaIce

@)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #147 on: Aug 03, 2018, 08:08 AM »
Hi everyone !!

Hope everyone is having a great summer.

AltaIce

@)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #148 on: Aug 03, 2018, 08:45 AM »
AltaIce, just curious, how do you get that sled into your car? Any est on the weight of the sled empty without the wheels?

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #149 on: Aug 05, 2018, 08:38 AM »
AltaIce, just curious, how do you get that sled into your car? Any est on the weight of the sled empty without the wheels?

Hi, G'd day "rdhammah"...   
   Yes, I do take the wheels off, and keep the sled loaded when I slide the sled up a slippery board ramp I made to make loading it easier. We have a Rav4, so I designed the height of the rack to clear the inside of Rav by an inch or so.  I designed the set up so if I do want to or need to bring the wheels, I just remove the sled onto the ground and slip them onto the shafts with a cotter pin holding them in place. ( fast and very easy)  Now, as far as the weight of the sled when empty, I would have to guess it to be around 50 Lbs. or perhaps a little higher.  ( Next time I have it empty I will weigh it and let you know for sure) I believe somewhere in this thread it explains and shows that inside the PVC Pipe I used, I slipped inside it Pot-metal piping and then filled it up with concrete... So it will and does weigh more empty than most other sleds it size.. I did the extra piping and concrete to make it bottom heavy so it won't tip over easy and it ( the rack system ) is very strong and can hold a lot of weight with out bending or swaying.. ( I tested it by standing and bouncing on it when I first built it.
  I'm not sure if the photo I just added will work, as I have not uploaded a photo on here in a very long time... so if it doesn't show up... There is a photo of the sled in the back of the Rav4 on the first page of this thread.

Hope this info helps a little, thanks for asking.  Have an excellent day and enjoy everything and everyone around you.
Take care.
   AltaIce
                  @)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.