Author Topic: Tip-Up Lights  (Read 11632 times)

Offline Fire~n~Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Tip-Up Lights
« on: Jan 22, 2010, 06:16 AM »
OK guys, I need some help here......I was trying to find a decent tip up light so I might be able to see a flag from a distance during the day......there are so many types and the two I picked up are cr..... well lets just say they don't shine bright. I guess a flashing strobe that can been seen in the daylight is what i'm looking for....any suggestions?
Tight Lines to all - - - - Stay Safe     :tipup:

Offline stripers77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • tip-up
Re: Tip-Up Lights
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:28 AM »
i think just a better, bigger flag is all you need during the day

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:04 AM »
Yeah, the lights are great at night, But would be useless during the day. For the day I would also suggest differant flags, or you could use one of those window alarms that would get your attention...

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:09 AM »
Some people use small bells (cheap $) attached to their flag.  When they get a pop, the bell sounds.
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline toddmichalak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2010, 10:50 PM »
frabil makes a very nice one called the artic siren during the day u can use the siren & light mode or just the light mode at night. the siren has about 12 differnt piercing sounds u can hear across the lake. they mount on any tipup i have  several of them they  work great  8)  :thumbsup:
Igloo-Tipup

Offline CentralCommand

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2010, 02:56 AM »
A buddy of mine picked up a pager system for his tip-ups last year.  It really works great but i don't remember who made it i am sure you can do a search on the net and find them. 

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2010, 04:51 AM »
i have the sirens on mine also and although my buddys hate them i wont ice fish without them
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2010, 05:12 AM »
I use the strike sensor pager system. I have my tip-ups set up with velcro so I can pick and choose the ones in the blind spots so I don't have to turn around and look behind me. I wasn't happy with the way the little keys attached to the flag so I made nice wire leaders with snap swivels. I have not lost a key yet. The velcro makes it nice when your done, I just pull them off and put them in my storage box. The only problem I have had is the range. I check them at the tip up before I set it and get a good signal, but if I go too far away I have had them go off and not know it. It only gives a signal for a short time and shuts off. At first I thought it would be going off all the time as long as the key was out. Once I figured this out I have had no problems. They do have lights on the pager part but not on the flags. I don't think a light would be needed for the daytime. Hot melt glue some material of your choice to make your own flags if you want to stand out from the others. I don't have any pictures of my set up but can post some if you want.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline phyrbyrd87

• IceShanty Rookie
TIP-UP LIGHTS
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2010, 03:54 PM »
I have actual homemade tip-ups, with the arm that actually tips up on a strike, not the standard spring whip type. Does anyone have any experience with the strobe lights out now for tip-ups as far as how much they weigh, length, best ones, or a different idea for a light? My only concern really is that for a counter weight I'm using old 180gr. round nosed bullets and if the lights weigh too much more than the bullet the arm won't stay tipped up upon strike which would defeat the purpose. I was just wondering if anyone out there has a similar set up and could shed some light on this before I start shelling out money for something that won't work for me. I'm looking to expand on my time on the ice since like most people i work all day and usually the weekends too so night time would be nice to try. If need be for a better visualization I can post a pic of my set up if it helps. Thanks in advance for your input.
It's never too late to switch bait.

Offline tipup71

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: TIP-UP LIGHTS
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2010, 06:31 PM »
I use HT tip up lights on my tipups like yours. They come with a clamp to attach to your flag. I took them off and taped them to the arm on my tipup. The lights have a mercury switch in them that lights the light when the arm goes off. These have worked well for me.
3 Dozen Shiners $10,5 Tipus $30,Flag Up!!!....Priceless!!!

Offline phyrbyrd87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2010, 06:54 AM »
Thanks for the input, i'll have to try and locate some of these and give them a go.
It's never too late to switch bait.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:28 AM »
I use HT tip up lights on my tipups like yours. They come with a clamp to attach to your flag. I took them off and taped them to the arm on my tipup. The lights have a mercury switch in them that lights the light when the arm goes off. These have worked well for me.

X2   

This is simple and works very well.

Wiener

Offline icefish12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2010, 10:58 AM »
Search bite n lite on youtube.  I ordered one online and there is nothing else like it.  Adjustable for windy days and you can see the lights for miles.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2010, 01:24 PM »
Search bite n lite on youtube.  I ordered one online and there is nothing else like it.  Adjustable for windy days and you can see the lights for miles.
What is the price on one of those ???
http://www.youtube.com/user/bitenlite

Offline icefish12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2010, 02:23 PM »
I got mine for $30 + shipping, but I think they retail for about $34.  It is fairly heavy and solid as a rock.

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2010, 09:57 AM »
take colored christmas lights then attach a wire to the lights then make it so when the flag goes up the light turns on.

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2010, 10:00 AM »
rig christmas lights to them with hot glue ad a 9v battery

Offline George_B

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always looking for new tip-up variations !!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2010, 06:35 PM »

Offline Perfect Hook Set

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A true Lie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2010, 06:32 PM »
I say bright big flag
or be closer to your tip ups

:tipup:
Next time you go to cwood let me know how many fish you didnt catch.

Offline icefish12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:38 AM »
Those other lights/flags don't tell you that there is a fish before it has even bitten your line.  Check out this new video

The lights were going off long before the fish took the bait.
If the link doesn't work, try searching bite n lite or light tip up in YouTube.

Offline Perfect Hook Set

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A true Lie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2011, 06:18 PM »
Did that guy even set the hook lol?

Thats a good idea I guess.

Next time you go to cwood let me know how many fish you didnt catch.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:39 PM »
Those other lights/flags don't tell you that there is a fish before it has even bitten your line.  Check out this new video

The lights were going off long before the fish took the bait.
If the link doesn't work, try searching bite n lite or light tip up in YouTube.

Yes, looks like it would work well...  Now you need to become a sponsor of this site !! 
Seems a bit "fishy" that all of your post are on / about this tip-down... No free advertising..  :o

Offline loveatfirstbite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:30 PM »
i'm gooing ice fishing during the night and need a good pair of lights for the darkness. I typically use heritage ice traps and some polar tip ups. what do you recommend to see from 100 yrds or more out on regular traps during the night? please pm me if you have a good response. thanks guys

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2013, 03:59 AM »
i'm gooing ice fishing during the night and need a good pair of lights for the darkness. I typically use heritage ice traps and some polar tip ups. what do you recommend to see from 100 yrds or more out on regular traps during the night? please pm me if you have a good response. thanks guys

I really like the Frabill Lil Shiner 1677 Tip-Up Light.  They have worked flawlessly for me.  I also have some Frabill Arctic Fire Tip-Up Lights but have yet to put them to the test.  I'm sure either would work fine.  I have also made several from Christmas lights and 9 volt batteries.  they are really bright but I have had some bulbs blow out prematurely.  For good fast results purchase either Frabill lights, reliable, light weight, easy to operate and can be seen from some distance at night.

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2013, 11:12 AM »
 I just use my quad and shine the lights on them.

Offline HuntHard

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If I'm Not Fishin I'm Wishin Vexilar Rocks
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2013, 05:49 PM »
Nice love the homemade idea
If at first you don't succeed at ice fishing

Then drink another Cold Beer                     

Offline Ski Junkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2013, 07:16 PM »
http://www.higlowtipuplights.com

Best tip up lights on the market in my opinion.

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never Forget Them! All Gave Some but Some Gave ALL
« Reply #27 on: Mar 02, 2013, 05:45 PM »
http://www.higlowtipuplights.com

Best tip up lights on the market in my opinion.
[/quot
e]
This link brings you to some where else, I bought these lights but I cant find the link for  my friend. The link has nothing about tipup lights. Can someone help

Heres the site:   Took me awhile to find it     http://icefishinglight.homestead.com/higlow.html

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never Forget Them! All Gave Some but Some Gave ALL
« Reply #28 on: Mar 03, 2013, 10:18 AM »
http://icefishinglight.homestead.com/higlow.html

web site for tipup lights. I placed an order and they arew good lights and should last my life time

Offline dap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 03, 2013, 02:56 PM »
Anyone have ideas light or audible indicators for "old School" tip ups. The kind with the long flag attached to a long piece of spring steel?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.