Author Topic: Clams Blowing Around Today  (Read 591 times)

Offline Moose416

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Take What You Need....Leave the Rest for Seed"
Clams Blowing Around Today
« on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:03 PM »
I watched quite a few clams being blown by the gusty wind we had today. Just something I use and no need to buy any new gear.  I drill 2 holes about 6 inches apart and about 6' on the windward side of the shelter. Using my safety rope I drop one end thru one hole and poke my gaff thru the other hole to grab it. I use the gaff with the large treble hook and long handle. My safety rope has a carribine attached on one end so i just fish it out with the gaff and clip it on the rope above the ice.  Then simply tie my life rope to the ropes on the shanty.  I also take my auger and drill a hole 3/4 of the way through on the backside of the shanty and leave the auger in it.  Kind of like a fence post on the ice the shanty can lean against to stop any spinning. Works grest and for windy days you gotta have some way to hold the shanty.  jake

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Clams Blowing Around Today
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2010, 07:23 PM »
That's OK if your gonna stay in that spot for awhile but if you move often it might get
old for you.
Fish on!

Offline ice chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clams Blowing Around Today
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2010, 08:21 PM »
my clam base camp sits nice on windy days if I anchor two sides on the windy side and one anchor in the skirt. Not very mobile but very comfy out of the wind. I drill lots of holes and look around before I set up on a windy day. Hate to sit over an empty hole.
Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.