Author Topic: Cats though the ice  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Surly

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cats though the ice
« on: Jan 21, 2010, 04:30 PM »
does any one have an idea what catfish act like in hard water season catch them in shallows in a pond I fish in the summer but have never targeted them in winter any ideas on bait. or do they just travel like they do all summer.    bait shad or mabye like docs blood bait?
The light at the end of the tunnel is usually an on coming train!!

Offline bassbum0034

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cats though the ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2010, 05:26 PM »
One of the lakes i fish has a good channel running through standing timber, and we catch a few cats fishing the bends in it. I also fish  a small farm pond that we catch them in and we fish the same area for cats as we do for the gills. The only difference i do is instead of having my jig 12 to 24 inches off the bottom i set it an inch or two up off the bottom. Jigs tipped with Be-moths are what we always caught them on.

Tim

Offline Surly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2010, 05:30 PM »
Thanks tim will give that a shot will let ya know how it turns out.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2010, 05:45 PM »
The pond/lake behind my house is full of channels. They like to bite in the evening up to 10:00 at night thru the ice. Normally its pretty common to catch 4-6 20-24" cat a night, sometimes more. For some reason they love to eat the purple/ gold moon glitter jig tipped with 2 red spikes, don't ask why lol.

Offline Surly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2010, 05:58 PM »
The pond/lake behind my house is full of channels. They like to bite in the evening up to 10:00 at night thru the ice. Normally its pretty common to catch 4-6 20-24" cat a night, sometimes more. For some reason they love to eat the purple/ gold moon glitter jig tipped with 2 red spikes, don't ask why lol.
I am also fishing pond in the shallows or deep water what kind of depth........ any more info and I guess I could have you come catch them for me thanks really appreciate it

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:08 PM »
I put a 6# channel on the ice on Summit last Sunday about 4PM.  Fishing for walleye in close to 30 FOW using a Jiggin Rap tipped with spikes, about a foot off of the bottom.  That thing sure put a WIDE red mark on my Vex!!

-Jeff

Offline indiana ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:14 PM »
I caught one a couple a weeks ago on Hamilton.  Had the grand kids out.  3 year old didn,t know what to think about that catfish squirming around in the shanty ( 2 man flip-over)

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2010, 07:14 PM »
I am also fishing pond in the shallows or deep water what kind of depth........ any more info and I guess I could have you come catch them for me thanks really appreciate it

the deepest spot is 14-15ft, it's only about 30-35acres. they seem to bite in 12ft range normally, although I have not tried it yet this year. I really don't fish for them thru the ice unless everything else is not biting. If my fishing schedule is limited on time, Ill go back there and fish for them... they do put up a good fight tho.

Offline ice chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2010, 08:27 PM »
I was fishing a small farm pond two days ago for gills and pulled up a 20" on two pound line with a white ice ant and a wax worm, one big red mark on the vex and a fun time pulling it out of the hole.the pond is only 11' and i caught this fish in 9'. My buddy that was with got a kick out of seeing the cat because this was only his second time fishing hard water.
Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Offline Surly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2010, 09:40 PM »
Sounds like hit or miss then just luck of the draw on cats thanks for the responses guess I will just focus on the crappie then thanks

Offline sam419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2010, 11:04 PM »
I catch them on jigs tipped with slices of hot dogs just sitting on the bottom, but that's on a private subdivisions pond. I caught 3 of them within 45 mins 2 days in a row the biggest was 4# 22".  But sadly on the second day someone called the police and we were asked to leave by the Po Po. I suppose it might work on real lakes.

Offline Bullgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2010, 02:42 PM »
i used to  catch cats in some ponds?in 11-12 ft of water on tipups  with shinners worked well for me...

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2010, 03:38 PM »
Took 4 from summitt about an hour and a half after Skeeters. PC has been yielding quite a few as well. All mine have come on spoons tipped with minnow heads.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.