Author Topic: East wind and fishing success  (Read 6055 times)

Offline wilenard

• Team IceShanty Regular
East wind and fishing success
« on: Jan 21, 2010, 03:13 PM »
Three days ago the panfish were biting at a steady pace and then a high pressure system passed to the east of Wisconsin and the winds have been from the east since. The panfish shut right down. Watched them on the camera and noticed them taking a peek at the various jig colors and styles I try but they just turn and swim away.
Is there a species of fish that is less affected by an east wind? Do you notice panfish turn off when you have an east wind at your locale? How do you overcome this problem or do you just stay home or do you just drink more beer and not worry about your catch rate?   ;D
"Success comes before work only in the dictionary"

"No God, no love; Know God, know love!"

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
East
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2010, 03:28 PM »
West is best east is least. Never understood it but it has always held true. Just remember a bad day on the ice is better than a good day anywhere else.

I DONT CARE I STILL BLEED PURPLE AND GOLD, SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: East wind and fishing success
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2010, 03:30 PM »
I go by the old adage, "wind out of the east, fish bite the least.  Wind out of the west, fish bite the best.  Wind out of the south, you must put the bait in the fishes mouth, wind out of the north, do not go forth.  I especially do not like an east wind!
Mike

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:17 PM »
I go by the old adage, "wind out of the east, fish bite the least.  Wind out of the west, fish bite the best.  Wind out of the south, you must put the bait in the fishes mouth, wind out of the north, do not go forth.  I especially do not like an east wind!
Mike

I've gone by this for many years...I won't even go out with an east or north wind. An easterly wind, or north, during winter blows in storms. Some of you folk out east know what a 'noreaster is...the fish almost always shut down at this time. Your barometer will also drop, (sometimes plunge) with a stiff east wind, less so with a north. West winds signify clear weather and a steady barometer.And of course, a south wind usually brings warmer temps. I kept notes for years every time I fished, and when the wind was from the east or NE, I almost always got skunked. It proved to be true, for me, at least, 90% of the time.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Fishmon

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:26 PM »
If you live in upstate NY or New England, a wind from the east; especially Northeast is bad news.  Our worst snow storms are Northeasters which bring high winds, snow, cold, etc.  If you saw movie "The Perfect Storm", that was a classic Northeaster.  Not uncommon to have hurricane force winds on coastal areas or Mountain peaks in Vermont/New York during one of these.  Highest wind speeds ever on planet were recorded on Mount Washington in New Hampshire. One more addition; "When wind blows from Northeast, not fit for man or beast".

Offline projoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2010, 09:57 PM »
i thought that saying only consisted with ocean fishing on the east coast. i guess it stays true in the mid west on the lakes too.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2010, 12:03 AM »
Ive had success with north, west and south wind.

Not east though, might as well tend to your gear in the garage on those days.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline mr.bartender

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time spent wisely!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2010, 06:56 AM »
LOOKED UP EXCUSES FOR NOT GOING ICE FISHING AND COULD NOT FIND THAT ONE!! :tipup:
i have enjoyed alot of things in life,but none as much as ice fishing!

Offline DRR324

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Emilys 27" walleye- released 1/10/10
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2010, 07:14 AM »
It may hamper success rates, but I won't forgo an afternoon of fishing due to a non-favorable wind.  My home lake does show the gills a bit more subdued, but this year the crappies will put the feedbag on for a brief period from 3pm to 4pm then shut down until just prior to dark.  They will bite again for a small window when the sun settles.
Why sit at home- the ice only lasts so long.....
Sit in the house- or sit in the shanty, let's see, beer and crappies- I'm going fishing.

Offline nswiken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:33 AM »
Two weeks ago, I was out on the lake.  Moderate East wind.  61 perch, and a few rainbows and walleyes.  My best day on that lake.  North wind yesterday, ten perch in an hour.  I had to move to find them.  Keep looking.

I am in Montana.  Maybe far enough west to avoid old adages.  Oh, and I hate the wind.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:41 AM »
The only time I pay attention to the wind is when I step out to relieve pressure. ;D
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline DoubleBurg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:46 AM »
I had something weird happen to me relating to an East wind.  On wednesday we had a strong east wind with the ice storm we were getting hit with.  We decided to hit up a small pond that I had good luck with 2 days before.  We set up in the same place I had good luck at and I noticed that the water was crystal clear.  2 days before this water was really brown almost tea colored.  I found this to be really weird that this small of a pond could turn over to clear in 2 days.  We sat for a half an hour and didn't see anything on the fish finder.  We started to venture around the pond and noticed that the East side of the lake (I was on the South side of the lake) had that really brown tea colored water in it.  We set up there and had some decent luck (even caught a couple of crappies which I didn't know were in the pond). 

Basically the point i'm getting at is I wonder if the wind can some how change where the "good" water is that the fish like and we just miss them during those East winds because it is such an uncommon wind to have and all of our good producing spots move to different spots on the lake. 

These are just my observations no clue if it is true or not.  I will know for sure after today when I go back and see where the brown water is in the pond.
Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.  -Henry David Thoreau

Offline DoubleBurg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:48 AM »
And to add one more thing on top of that, there is no drainage into the pond so the movement of the water wouldn't be from the water running into it.
Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.  -Henry David Thoreau

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:55 AM »
How deep is the water DoubleBurg?
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:42 AM »
How much wind????

slight breeze no big deal...huge storming winds that's going to make fishing tough regardlesss.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline DoubleBurg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2010, 12:02 PM »
10-12 fow and my guess is the pond is about an acre or so

Offline husb0023

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Punching Holes in Wisconsin Since 1986
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2010, 12:26 PM »
Can't catch anything sitting on your couch.   I have had luck in east winds with monster fish... it might be the only one you catch all day but it will be worth talking about.

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2010, 03:11 PM »
LOOKED UP EXCUSES FOR NOT GOING ICE FISHING AND COULD NOT FIND THAT ONE!! :tipup:
yeah I bought that book got home and all the pages were blank ;D

I DONT CARE I STILL BLEED PURPLE AND GOLD, SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fishing grampa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2010, 11:45 PM »
? You mean there are excuses for NOT going fishing????????
Sometime hard water is a good thing..............

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2010, 12:17 AM »
I was out today with a stiff east and southeast wind. I wasn't hardly even marking anything on my vex. I put on a #2 Swedish pimple and tipped the treble hook with three waxies. In 8 foot of water I would let it fall rapidly to the bottom, bring it up slow for about 2 feet then I let it hit bottom again. I did this for about 4/5 times then the first fish showed up on my vexilar. I slightly twitched it just above the fish than he hit. It was the first catch of the day! The first fish was a bullhead. I keep it up and ended up with 6 real nice sized gill, 7 crappie 1 one bull head in about 3/4 hours. A buddy with me caught several also after he asked to use one of my Swedish pimples. I really think when I aggressively pound the bottom with a pimple it attracts the fish under my hole. Remember to slow to just a light twitch when the fish is right under your lure.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.