Author Topic: wawasee today  (Read 2481 times)

Offline indyjones

• IceShanty Rookie
wawasee today
« on: Jan 20, 2010, 09:55 AM »
just got off the ice at the crows nest fish wernt bitin but i could hear ice crackin and poppin!the slush on top was frozen,hope the temps stay in the 20s.

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: wawasee today
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:04 AM »
We got some warm weather this weekend and then the bottoms gonna fall out of it.  If you don't believe me, look at weather underground for the 15 day forecast.  BBBBRRRRR!

Steuben1

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:06 AM »
We will take it! ;D  Hey Steuben1, have they been on Krybom Bay or around eagles Island on James?
Greg
Fish on!

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:09 AM »
Hey Greg,

Both locations have been pretty quiet as of late.  Still waiting on the cold February to really hook her up tight.  I will let you know when I see some good activity/reports.

Steuben1

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:11 AM »
Thanks man! ;D I keep getting logged off while I am navigating around Ice Shanty.
Greg
Fish on!

Offline billypounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2010, 09:02 AM »
We will take it! ;D  Hey Steuben1, have they been on Krybom Bay or around eagles Island on James?
Greg

i was there two days ago bluegill were real slow but my buddy caught a 30 inch pike so the trip was worth it.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2010, 09:40 AM »
I herd the kettle was producing on wawasee a week ago.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2010, 01:42 PM »
I herd the kettle was producing on wawasee a week ago.

It sure was....if you like sorting 20 dinks for every marginal keeper...There were a ton of guys out there, most just standing around talking and not catching much when I was out there.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2010, 04:18 PM »
Sounds about the norm for the kettle, lots of sorting.

Offline fishinpo1e1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2010, 08:00 PM »
I was on the kettle today.

AND I WAS ALONE - ALL BY MYSELF.

Nobody was out there. While driving there I went by the slip, nobody was out. Only two permanent shacks, most likely empty.

I checked some channels off Johnsons Bay  - nada.

Nobody at the boat launch.

Nobody out on the main lake.

Then I fished the kettle.

Parked at the marina. They are really good to let a few spaces for the fishermen.

As soon as I started down the short bank where everyone drug their sleds thru I found someones lunch remains that were in a plastic bag. Fast food condiment sacks scattered from the bag. I picked it up and muttered a thousand deaths to the owner. Under the bag was a bullhead. I scooped the bag into the plastic and knotted it and put it on my car hood so I wouldn't forget it.
Man, I figured the kettle was going to be a cesse pool if I see garbage right from the start.
Surprisingly, El Slobbo only left a dozen gills frozen into the ice along with one smashed beer can.
I know that the kettle is hard fished by many and there were dozens of half froze holes to open up. The ice was slick and rubble like from all the footsteps in slush before it froze.
I set out two pike rods and fished for gills with ice jig and mousees. Three hours later I fished about 30 holes and caught one small gill and had one other bite. THATS ALL!
I did not sight fish.
While there my friend who lives on a Johnsons Bay channel called to say the fish were not biting the last three days. I already knew that. I guess last Saturday some crappie moved into the channels for maybe the second time since ice on.
But they are cleaned out fast and/or leave fast.
I was out on the flats on Wawasee Monday and we caught 8 pike, kept 6 - all 24 inches and skinny.
Wednesday we fished the flats again and caught 2 pike 22" long buy a bit more meaty. We lost one over 30 inches long - the head filled a 6" hole. Leader cut.
Only had 3 gills, no perch. Did some sight fishing and only saw small gills.

Sorry to be so discouraging. Don't know why they quit biting.
Syracuse Lake also had 3 guys on it and they weren't showing any signs of excitement.

Offline leavnsorlips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2010, 04:31 AM »
sight fished some channels off johnson bay for a few hrs on mon. lotsa dinks! didn't even see any real nice ones!

Offline ZRWHAT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:17 AM »
Unfortunately Ice Fishing attracts all kinds, and more specifically the Hillbillies are in the majority.  They could care less if they throw their trash out the window of their beater or leave it on the ice.  The North Channel was scattered with debris last Saturday.

The Crappie are still there and they are huge, better have your spikes on or you will bust your a$$.

Offline indyjones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:01 AM »
i used to fish there yrs ago not anymore, to many f heads ruined it by leavin their trash everywhere.

Offline chevy hillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:38 AM »
hillbillies dont eat fast food, we cook our own.

HB 8)

Offline Hog Daddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • old school - the "don't laugh " sled
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2010, 12:12 PM »
Ha ha... you tell em hillbilly.  I suspect it is that flatlander , suburban , specie .... .   don't you?  I'm a hillbilly and dang if I would leave any edible fish laying around.  Down here we eat anything that doesn't eat us first   ;D 

HHD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.