Author Topic: Spudding your way out????  (Read 3617 times)

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Spudding your way out????
« on: Jan 20, 2010, 05:12 AM »
Guys,

Been ice fishing for about 20 years now and heard about spudding your way out for safety.  The embarrising things is, I don't really know how it works.  I obviously know to spud the ice to see how thick it is, but what are the details?  How many hits to determine if the ice is safe?  I am sure there is more to it then just hitting the ice?

I know I should know, but I just don't.

Steuben1

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
Re: Spudding your way out????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2010, 05:54 AM »
Dependin on how hard ya hit the ice with spud,,we usally go 2 hits and look at cracks you make to determine the thickness and way the ice breaks up,,if cracking is close and tight its pretty dense,,if spread out around a foot area,,watch yourself.definatly bust a hole with it and measure with hands too this kind is not good,,lol   http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v634/IndyBassin/?action=view&current=crumpliniceinjan.flv
watch they way the ice breaks,,ya see that,,back up......

Offline RangerTim

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Listen close you can hear them biting
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2010, 06:21 AM »
I kinda like the 2 hits rule if it goes thru back up. 

But also the sound the spud makes when it hits the Ice, there is a certain ring/ping the spud makes you will get a feel or an ear for that.

I like the Ice cracking thing I guess I just learned something new, always good to learn new things .

Offline Hog Daddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • old school - the "don't laugh " sled
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:14 AM »
I used to have a spud yrs ago, passed down to me or cabbaged onto... from my pappy...however I can't find it these days (probably used it to debark a fence post and left it somewhere).... but where can you get one in this area?  I haven't seen one in a store for ages.... at least Indy or southward.

HHD

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:27 AM »
In the process of making one....will post pics when finished.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Hog Daddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:35 AM »
Wouldn't any stout metal rod work....eg like I have a couple heavy steel rods I use to bust rocks when digging fence pole holes... they have either a pointed end or flat end.  Say maybe just an old used axle?  You are not actually cutting a hole with it...but listening more as a sounder... right?  would be safer to carry around if not sharp.

HHD

Offline YR bender

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2010, 09:32 AM »
Rural King here in Muncie has spud bars. I do not know how much.

Offline moonbeam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:06 AM »
Used to make em at work.....3/4" pipe and piece of leaf spring.
WAIVER....."NO ANIMALS WERE ABUSED OR INJURED MAKING THIS MESSAGE."

Offline popnfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2010, 12:48 PM »
Say maybe just an old used axle?  You are not actually cutting a hole with it...but listening more as a sounder... right?  would be safer to carry around if not sharp.

HHD

the sound helps but they are chipping the ice with the spud. It goes through with one strike back up NOW

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2010, 01:14 PM »
how high are you guys dropin the spud from seen some at bps thought bout pickin one up but unfamiliar with its use also, i always grab the auger and drill my way out.
Got one goin'!

Offline switch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2010, 02:36 PM »
What's a good weight to shoot for if making one.  I'm looking forward to jigmup's pics.

Offline scroungydog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Penguinphobic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2010, 03:58 PM »
I agree with RangerTime in regards to the sound but also the feeling in your hand. I like to use it like a walking stick, take my time and set up a cadence to your steps, and step and strike the ice at the same intrevals and listen and feel. If you go from a solid feeling and sound to dead, hollow thud, stop and check! Any variance stop and check! Better safe than wet.
Penguins are not your Friends!!!!!

Offline RangerTim

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Listen close you can hear them biting
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2010, 05:55 PM »
You got me wondering as to how much my Spud Bar weighs. 

So I checked it out .....8 lbs 

It is around 7/8 inches in diameter and 54 inches in length. 
The one end is flattend down to about 1 1/2 wide and about 6 inches long with a good sharp edge ground on the end.
 I tend use mine like a walking stick as well.

One good tip I will tell you...... make sure you have a hole drilled in the end of the bar with a rope thru it and around your wrist.
 Don't ask me how I know this.   lol

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2010, 06:20 PM »
I have a Lakco Ice Chisel that I bought from Sportsmans Guide.  8.5#, two piece, screws together. 

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/lakco-2-pc-deluxe-ice-chisel.aspx?a=423056

-Jeff

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:11 PM »
If you have access to rebar I use # 5 and grind a point on the end.  Works good for me and it's free.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:11 PM »
Here's Dave Genz giving some tips on spudding thin ice.  It is part 2 of the video.  This is how I got started spudding to see if ice was safe.

Dave Genz spudding ice
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline RonSki

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2010, 09:00 PM »
 Thanks for that vid. Did anyone else notice how easy that spud went thru?? He had the kind with the angled tip, like the one Jiffy makes. I've been wondering just how much better that style is than the straight tipped ones. Haven't actually seen any of the angled ones around here for sale. I went thru a homemade one and a store bought spud and haven't been happy with either. IMO it should go thru 2.5 inches in one whack. I haven't had one yet that will do that. That's the whole point of a spud right? So you can "whack as you go" ;) If it doesn't get thru 2" of ice in one whack, and you're walking like he is in the video, then you could STILL go thru. Anybody else notice the difference between the two types??

Offline ispoman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2010, 09:05 PM »
I use a 4ft. piece of railroad track, its alittle heavy but works

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2010, 09:17 PM »
RR track? What are ya Paul Bunyon?

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2010, 09:44 PM »
know YOUR spud!

i have used many over the years but the best advice i can offer is no matter what you get...go out and play with it. back in the day i had a 12# bruiser with a 2" wide end flattened  and sharpened one side. i left mine at home so i grabbed my buddies and went on point. his was a rebar about 5 pounds and a 4" tip. needless to say as i walked and spudded in my usual way all seemed well. after about 100 yds out into wawasee my buddy stopped me and asked if i felt the ice sagging like he did...hmm. did 2 hits and it blased thru on the second.  just under 2" and maxxed out the pucker meter! real spooky walk back!

long story short: my 12# with a narrow tip would almost go thru 2". i kept it sharp and could at least draw water on 2" with a good hit.

his lighter wider spud would only go 3/4 to maybe an inch on a solid whack!

i now use a 7# and throw it into the ice like a walking stick every other step. nice cadence and hit thru or down to 3" every 20 ft or so.

it doesnt matter what type of spud you get. its more important to use the one YOU know. and keep it sharp!! it makes a world of difference!! also if your point man have your buddy drag your sled so you can focus on what your doing. it takes ears and eyes to stay dry....and a spud!  
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2010, 11:43 PM »
Dependin on how hard ya hit the ice with spud,,we usally go 2 hits and look at cracks you make to determine the thickness and way the ice breaks up,,if cracking is close and tight its pretty dense,,if spread out around a foot area,,watch yourself.definatly bust a hole with it and measure with hands too this kind is not good,,lol   http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v634/IndyBassin/?action=view&current=crumpliniceinjan.flv  watch they way the ice breaks,,ya see that,,back up......

Now your video link should work.

In that video the guys spud must have a flat piece on one end or it doesn't have a chisel end. I remember actually chopping fresh holes with gramps and the spudbar. Back then you didn't make allot of holes, to much work.....

Can't find find my spud, I use it every year and I am dumbfounded that I can't find it....grrrrrrrr...... looks like I will have to get another one. Its not safe walking around without one in the ice conditions we have now.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:03 AM »
i actually have same spud that is in A-bombs post,,used the edge end and wasnt effective enough to show how bad it actually was so i used the handle end for effect.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2010, 07:48 AM »
Simply spud a little hole ( a few hits ) big enough to stick a finger or two down in, if you cant grab the bottom of the ice with just a finger or two it should be safe... Ive got big hands so if I cant grab the bottom im looking at 3-4+ inches.

Offline Hog Daddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2010, 07:59 AM »
Hmmmm... I have the same bar as in A-bomb's pic....(prob got at Menards or lowes)  but I use it for post holes...eg round flat end to tamp dirt, sharp end to chip out rock.  Hadn't thought of it as a spud.  The spud I remember is more like Jeff's link.... had square bar stock on the end cut to an angle and very sharp as to where you could cut a hole.  It made an excellent post debarker !  Looks like I need a couple more broom clips for the "don't laugh" sled   ;D

HHD

Offline apricot brandy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2010, 09:44 AM »
Been using spuds for decades. We used to cut our holes with them. Then came the dredful spoon, then the hand auger,followed by gas,and now use the hand drill.  My dad made several spuds in the shipyard where he worked. I inherited a few. I now use them for safety.The one I prefer has a solid 3/4 inch bar leading to an inch and a half tempered blade. I just swing it in my right hand. It comes down every time my left foot does as I walk. Due to it's weight it lets us know if we are in jeopardy. One other thing, there is a ring on the non-business end. A 1/4 inch rope about 20 inches long with a loop goes arond my wrist. The old man always said there were a lot of spuds stuck in the bottom of lakes. :-\ I fish the slough a lot. That spud has kept me dry more than once. lol.
bobbers down- flags up

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2010, 02:08 PM »
Ok...got the spud bar done. She weighs 11 pounds and is 49.5 inches long. The chisel tip is 1-3/8" wide.
Here are the pics.

7/8ths bar stock with the end heated                                                     

After Hammering out...the rough shape

Ground down to sharp edge..only one side beveled (sorry for the bad pic)

a piece of rebar I had laying around for the handle

welded, painted and ready for spudding
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2010, 02:19 PM »
Lookin good!  Let us know how it works.

Offline scroungydog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Penguinphobic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2010, 03:22 PM »
Brett, I liked the one Genz had in that video. It was long enough you could just "Pole-vault" right over the bad ice!!! ;D ;D
Penguins are not your Friends!!!!!

Offline apricot brandy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2010, 06:57 PM »
Good job, Jigmup  ;D Looks good. Just learn it and it will keep you dry. Again, good job.    kas
bobbers down- flags up

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 22, 2010, 07:39 PM »
Brett, I liked the one Genz had in that video. It was long enough you could just "Pole-vault" right over the bad ice!!! ;D ;D

Yea I noticed that too.  His spud was either long or he is short! (I think he's short)  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.