Author Topic: Rock bass/goggleye...Never new they tasted so good...I always thru them back  (Read 5359 times)

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Monday I fished Maxinkuckee from 10am to 930pm, caught a few average perch during daylight. On my UW cam I saw one eye and 5-6 jumbo perch but they had lockjaw. After dark i started getting runs on my big minnows but couldn't hook them. So i downsized and put crappy minnows on. Caught a nice size rockbass 10-11". Never ate one before, always threw them back. But kept this one so I would have enough for a meal with the few perch I had, the other 3-4 rockbass I caught after dark I threw back......I'll not throw them back from now on, that RkBass was almost as good as gills....

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline ghosttown

• IceShanty Rookie
I always keep them to eat.  I have been know to chuck a couple of them in the live well when fishing bass tournaments. 

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Welcome to the wonderful world of Rockbass.  See the MIRC shanty for further details.  ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Well, the brute rock bass out of Wawasee taste like sewage burgers.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Aren't they more bone then meat?
Tom

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I always throw them in with the gills if I catch one; when filleted, battered, and cooked you don't even notice a difference.  The same applies with the warmouth, surprised at how many times I see warmouths just laying on the ice.

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac

lol, i will take your word for it and keep throwing them back. ;D
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac

I'll agree to that!

Offline bassman508

• IceShanty Rookie
THey are great out of cold water, during the summer the are mushy. I am not sure but I think there is a daily limit on them.

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
When mixed in with other fried panfish it'd be hard to pick out the rockbass or warmouth.  However, I usually throw warmouth back, because they always seem to take a dump on my fillet board.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac

That may be, I have no idea. It may be because mine was from winter and not summer, or it could be that wawasee may have sewage dumped or seeped into it. This was the first I have ever ate, and it was good. Not scaled, I filayed it, maybe the skin gives them a bad taste.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline drk_denman

• IceShanty Rookie
I would have to agree guys leave them laying out on the ice they are perfectly good to eat.  My wife is a very picky eater and she can never tell the difference when she eats them compared to gills.
Triple D

Offline ghosttown

• IceShanty Rookie

The big boys are not the tastiest.  I only keep the ones that are the size of gills.  I think with a lot of species, the smaller fish taste better than the big ones.  I will never eat a large mouth over two pounds. 

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Sure size of fish contributes to the taste of the flesh but I have never had a nasty tasting 14 inch perch. I'm sure rock bass out of different bodies of water taste better than others but I kept a couple from the sea and they were not good. I have eaten small ones from the river that were not bad though. I guess if you got em and they taste good, go for it. I will try them from another lake so long as the report is good flavor.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The big boys are not the tastiest.  I only keep the ones that are the size of gills.  I think with a lot of species, the smaller fish taste better than the big ones.  I will never eat a large mouth over two pounds. 

The one I kept and ate was around 11", don't know if thats a biggen our not. First one I have caught at Max in a long time. The ones I thru back where smaller8-9". Like I said before. If I ever catch anymore at Max they will go in the bucket. You're right on LMbass, just legal size are better than the biggins. Course I will only keep a bass if I don't have anything in the bucket yet to eat.

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
Bass- the other white meat.

Offline moegtar

• IceShanty Rookie
I go fishing up north in Wisconsin every year done so since I was twelve.  A buddy of mine loves catching them off the cribs, could catch them everyday.  I hate to clean them, but I guess did not notice what I ate,  but they are plentyfull in the lake we fish, so have fun.

Offline helifunwalleyechaser

• IceShanty Rookie
I am that crazy guy that was out there with you (head lamp)!  Any fish you catch out Lake Max is not going to taste bad. That water is so clean.  Thinking about going in the morning but not sure about the ice. I would like to get out a bit farther.
Fishing in the dark. Mark

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.