Author Topic: What is too close?  (Read 5322 times)

Offline j.mongo

• IceShanty Rookie
What is too close?
« on: Jan 19, 2010, 09:43 AM »
I had a guy 7 steps "heel to toe" outside of my shanty door.In a hole i drilled.I think he was too close.What do you think?

Offline Flattop

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What is too close?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2010, 09:46 AM »
Yea, thats too close.  Sad part is, it's not illegal. Just my opinion.
In life "The day you quit learning, better be the day you quit"
"I learn something new every day, even if it's how not to do something"

Offline icehoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:00 AM »
 i might have had to "reclaim" my hole. it depends on if he was a decent guy and what the other conditions where. like was it a very,very small lake with a lot of other people? if it was a big lake with little people and he was not very friendly i am not sure on how nice i would have been.  How did you handle it.

Offline resophonic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:11 AM »
Anything inside of 100 yards is too close. :'(

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:20 AM »
Anything inside of 100 yards is too close. Cry
Are you kidding me? ???
Fish on!

Offline j.mongo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:37 AM »
I was on a pretty big lake.Maybe eight people fishing.I handled it by sliding out a ten inch redear for him to look at!! ;D

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:39 AM »
I was on a pretty big lake.Maybe eight people fishing.I handled it by sliding out a ten inch redear for him to look at!! ;D

Did he hop in your shanty with you after seeing that?

Offline doublehunter87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:45 AM »
i would say its a little to close but you see people in little pack all the time fishing on top of eachother i mean some people if they are willing to say something and talk to ya usually ill say hey i drilled these holes over here if you want to fish them you can and hopefully he will say the same but sometimes its not like that cause i too have had a guy come about 5 ft from my shanty and start fishing but he drilled a hole next to one i had drilled and it had about 4 inches inbetween my hole and his my thing is this we all love the sport and all love to catch fish so i think the courtious thing to do is maybe strike a convo with a guy and meet eachother and then maybe start fishing around the same spot

Offline j.mongo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:57 AM »
I will talk to anyone.The guy never said a word.I hear the term lurker used on here.This is another use for the term.(They lurk around til they see ya catch one and put the creep on ya!)

Offline gaddabout

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't catch um-hunt um!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2010, 11:08 AM »
I wuda said...hey thats my hole do you mind?????thats just to close unless he asks...jeezzz........d isrespectful ..I bet the dude leaves trash on the ice tooooo
Fishy Fishy In da Brook,Come Bite On Grandpa's Hook!

Gaddabout is my nickname, No affiliation with the newspaper.

Offline leavnsorlips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2010, 11:48 AM »
definately too close! but u'll always have folks w questionable ethics in any arena! certainly wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the guys on here that have made complete a$$e$ out of themselves within their 1st 10 posts! unfortunately laziness, ignorance, and lack of moral fiber more than likely keep fellas like this in someones back pocket for the majority of the time they spend on the ice! i would think it's gotta suck be one of these fellas!

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2010, 12:06 PM »
I jumped into holes Leavinsorlips had drilled and it happened to be with 6' of where he was sitting!  I think my flip over hit his shanty on the way down!!!   :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Is that too close?

Steuben1

Offline leavnsorlips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2010, 12:15 PM »
now when its one of my buddies i don't mind! i jus make a mental note of it so... next time he's on em.... oh hi, my name's sorelips, remember me?  :angel  :roflmao: :-*

Offline keepinsorlips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2010, 02:13 PM »
I had a guy do that last week i just opened the door and keep jiggin and catching fish till he left!After the 2 nd to his none!lol

Offline biggtow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2010, 02:19 PM »
if he's fishing in the same hole he's to close.
come on it's just fishing , right

Offline Mrwiggler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I'm going to miss her "
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2010, 02:31 PM »
 :( Unfortunately, them kind of people do exist, and it isn't just hardwater fishing, either. I like to do a controlled drift, or troll with the electric trolling motor, on a break or weedline, and have had boats ( on many occasions),see you land a fish, and the next thing you know they come up right on the spot and want to anchor. They just can't seem to see someone catch a fish! As far as hardwater goes, i try to be a gentleman, but a few times have let someone know what's on my mind. "AGGRAVATING AS HE*^" :%$#!:

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2010, 03:00 PM »
If they would just say..hey buddy ,ya mind if i fish by you? it wouldnt bother me ,but if they walk halfway across the lake to fish right next to me,and dont say a word, it might bother me...i think it would only be someone new to icefishing or maybe it could be a total butt sandwich!   :%$#!:

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2010, 03:32 PM »
If the person isn't making a lot of noise and commotion on the ice I personally wouldn't have an issue with it, especially if there are a lot of open holes and people are hole hopping.  If I am striking out and the person starts pulling fish after fish out of that hole, you better believe I am moving just to the other side of the person.

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline moonbeam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2010, 03:38 PM »
Unless you're packin a can of "whoop ass" and looking for a probable confrontation, ignore these people. At this point in their lives their ethics and mentallity (or lack of) are more than likely ingrained in them and you're not likely to change their ways. Hey , we're just fishing......
WAIVER....."NO ANIMALS WERE ABUSED OR INJURED MAKING THIS MESSAGE."

Offline rcjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2010, 03:43 PM »
you'll find that when you are in a zipped closed shanty and there are holes close by people are more likely to fish those holes than they would be if you were out sitting on a bucket. If you are locked up in your shanty a guy can't ask permission to fish close to you. Of course these comments are coming from someone who doesn't yet own a shanty... ;D ;D

Offline yoopermjm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2010, 03:44 PM »
Think of it this way, he probably thought you knew more than he, and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2010, 03:48 PM »
 I think it makes a difference also if they talk to you, you know "break the ice" so to speak. I had a 70 year old guy the other day come up. At first I didnt know what to think, well it turned out that he seemed to just want to talk. Id tell him when he had a flag and he'd go get it and come right back for chit chat. Im glad he did tho, very nice guy and he showed me a few things with tip-ups. Way I see it, I got a new fishin buddy next time Im out there. Theres are some good people out there yet.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2010, 03:49 PM »
Anything inside of 100 yards is too close. Cry
Are you kidding me? ???
might have 100 guys within 100 yards at the slough.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2010, 04:45 PM »
I would just take the gas auger and start drilling holes all around him-lmao
Tom

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2010, 04:51 PM »
I had a 70 year old guy the other day come up. At first I didnt know what to think, well it turned out that he seemed to just want to talk.

I have been getting a lot of that this year, just about every time out now, only difference is they don't bring gear to fish at all they just walk around the lakes from person to person.  All they want to do is talk, bullcrap, tell me their life story, and tell me other lakes I should have gone to because they have caught 21 inch crappie and buckets full of 10 -12 inch bluegill.

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2010, 05:25 PM »
Actually , i had a strange cat come out on the ice by me today...very inquisitive.. facinated with the vexilar...stepped on my auger , and actually ran his gloved finger across the blade ..i said hey dude that thing will cut straight thru your glove.. this guy asked me ..so what you gonna do with those fish ?  he was wearing headphones  and moccassins...dude walked around and bout fell on his a$$ a couple times ..kinda humourus..   :cookoo:

Offline ice chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2010, 05:34 PM »

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:45 PM »    Reply with quote
I would just take the gas auger and start drilling holes all around him-lmao
                                                                                                                                                                                                                   drill them in a very tight circle all the way around and ask him if he would like any more of your holes that you drilled
Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2010, 05:52 PM »
Hey Abishop I meant this sounded extreme to me. Some people have not been to many state parks huh?
Greg
Fish on!

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2010, 06:49 PM »
Me and a couple friends went out the other afternoon and drilled about a dozen holes in a 15 yd. area...I like to move around this brush pile and pick up a fish or two in a hole and move to a new hole ....three guys showed up and started fishing the holes we weren't using ...didn't ask...didn't say boo ...nothing...they had to know we had drilled them and scooped them out...and not one single soul was on the lake but us...kinda made me laugh at the judgement of some guys....not saying I haven't fished close to someone I didn't know because they were on a spot I wanted to fish...but I always ask and try to be quiet and polite.
Duane

Offline FISHAHOLIC-19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2010, 07:03 PM »
A friend and I were out the other day and drilled out a spot and had been fishing this spot all day when some guy walks up and starts putting his vex. down some of our holes and drills his own and starts jigging. Now this normally wouldn't bother me, but he made a bee line straight to us with out fishing anywere in-between. Next thing ya know he's on his phone and not long after that he has a couple friends show up and start fishin our holes. Then they set up there shanties and act like alls cool. What a joke. I thought about firing up the auger and going to town. Some people just don't have a clue.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.