The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pole set-up for Mille Lacs Walleye  (Read 5410 times)

Offline rickelsb

• IceShanty Rookie
Pole set-up for Mille Lacs Walleye
« on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:38 PM »
Hey fellas,

I'm headed up to Mille Lacs hard water to fish walleye. Whats the best pole / jig set up? Line weight? Monofiliment leader? Live bait? This will be my first time pulling walleyes through the ice. Can anyone give me some tips and pointers. Thanks. Rick

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pole set-up for Mille Lacs Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2010, 10:04 PM »
I can tell you that with lure selection you should have a selection of large medium and smallish jigging spoons.

If the walleyes aren't biting you can downsize a bit for the perch.

Both will bite jigging spoons tipped with a minnow head.

A lot of times I will wait untill I get to a bait store near my destination and see what lures, colors, and sizes are being used local to the lake I am going to fish. Local info is often more readilly available when you have a half dozen lures in hand for purchase.

Good Luck.

Offline rickelsb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2010, 04:30 PM »
Thanks,I have more questions?

Do most people use a Monofilament leader? If so, what # test and how much length ...what pound test do you use on the real? Do you tie the leader directly to your spool line with an Albright Knot or use a swivel to connect the two?

When fishing pimples, do you tie the line directly to the pimple or do I need to use a snap swivel?

Thanks again.
Rick

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2010, 07:19 PM »
Thanks,I have more questions?

Do most people use a Monofilament leader? If so, what # test and how much length ...what pound test do you use on the real? Do you tie the leader directly to your spool line with an Albright Knot or use a swivel to connect the two?

When fishing pimples, do you tie the line directly to the pimple or do I need to use a snap swivel?

Thanks again.
Rick

When I fish walleyes I do not use a leader. I tie the spoon directly to the main line. I do not like any thing between my line and the spoon or jig. I know other guys like a snap.

I believe most people just use some sort of mono made for ice angling.

Further down on the main forum page under tips there is a forum for walleye. Might be worth looking into.

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2010, 08:50 PM »
I use10 lb fireline as my main walleye line then the smallest ball bearing swivel they are only  1/3" long then I tie on a 8lb. Segur flurocarbon tippet of 3' with a small fly clip to clip the jigs off and on as I change them.  Certain jigs like chubbie darters and lindy darters run better with the flurocarbon mono... plus the walleyes cant see it during the day.  Problem is if there are Northern Pike around you lose jigs with this set up.  If you want a pic of the set up ill take one just pm me.  I would stick to perch colors on Milaca with your jigs..green/gold/yellow  a #5 chubbie darter, north land rattle spoon +one with a dropper  smaller size, Lindy rattle jig.  May be a glow perch small Rapala jiggin rap. 

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:23 PM »
Do you use flourocarbon line or leader?

There are ones that are designated as "leader" that I am pretty sure are more abrasion and cut resistant than the "line".

I know there are guys who run the flouro leader material on there tipups specifically for pike.

For the lake trout I run Trilene XT to a swivel and then a flouro leader tied directly to the jig.

Either way you will not be wrong. Main line tied to jig,  main line to swivel tied to leader tied to jig.

Either one with or without clip.

Fireline or some sort of braid should have less stretch resulting in better feel for the fish biting and a quicker hookset. I have not tried it myself.

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2010, 12:20 PM »
Yep, I use the Seaguar flurocarbon leader material 8lb.

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2010, 07:13 PM »
Here is a pic of my successful walleye jigging set up...white fireline 10lb tied to the swivel, 2 ft of seaguar 8lb flurocarbon leader clip and jig.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.