Author Topic: WHAT gear you got? What ya got to save your BUTT?  (Read 1375 times)

Offline gaddabout

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't catch um-hunt um!
WHAT gear you got? What ya got to save your BUTT?
« on: Jan 18, 2010, 11:20 AM »
I got vex fl-20, Rover 1.0 shanty..6 in mora drill. boat cushion tied to rope,,,spud bar to check ice!! ice picks around neck..cell phone.....ARCTIC ARMOUR jacket...to save my butt I hope.....used to wear a lifejacket......to bulky....We all must think about the safety stuff.......VEx wont save your life....life perserver of some sort will......WHAT U GOT? We dont want to loose any shanty buddies this year.....tnx.......... ...................... .....Gaddabout........ ...................... ...................... ........
Fishy Fishy In da Brook,Come Bite On Grandpa's Hook!

Gaddabout is my nickname, No affiliation with the newspaper.

Offline Flypopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: WHAT gear you got? What ya got to save your BUTT?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2010, 11:26 AM »
I have a boat cushion in my shanty and Picks around my neck ALL the time, I don't care if the ice is 3ft thick

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2010, 11:45 AM »
This is a VERY GOOD TOPIC,considering we've had above freezing temps here these last few days,I'll give you a straight up example:

Yesterday we had Jigmup,SkeeterJeff,Fergie2U,Brownie,JonBoat Jim,and our Summit Boozers out at the dammmm,earlier that day,I looked at Jigmup and said,I just realized I didnt have my neck spikes on,I INSTANTALLY,put them on,well to make a Long story short,the fishing was real slow during the day,and about 4 oclock,as were all in an area of structure I got out there,we here SkeeterJeff say Im marking one guys....Im marking one......next we hear "FISH ON".As always my first words were dont horse em he'll come,Jeffs rod was all buckled over,I knew it was a cat by the throbbing,we all got up and walked over by Jeff to get in on the action,and all the sudden...........KABOO OOOOOM,the ice cracked,not from making ice either,all that weight just buckled that ice down a good inch,we were on 4" at that spot,there was a big puddle of water after that,but you could move 15' and have 8" of hard ice,I know theres times when I take the Ice for granted,but its time,with these warmths,we all need to be prepared,it always happens when u least expect it to in most cases.I dont even know if any of us out there had a rope,let alone a cushion,I know I didn't,the way that ice sounded when it cracked was scary guys.I honestly dont believe any of us expected it to happen,and remember now we're out there a mile,like Gaddabout said,it something to seriously think about,once again this was a much needed topic on here.................. ....

Thanx,
                                                                                                               Jimmy

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2010, 12:36 PM »
"WHAT gear you got? What ya got to save your BUTT?"

I was going to say my brain but then I recalled the day that I went through and was lucky enough to get out. Been in twice. I know its hard not to be on first or last ice so that is when the protective equipment is worth its weight in gold.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline icehoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2010, 03:20 PM »
my question is about ice picks? has anyone ever had to use them? and if you did, did they work? the thought of using them is kinda scary, my luck i would probably stab myself.
     I went thou Bass a couple of yrs back. (totaly under water). i managed to get out rather quickly (once my head came out of the water). I did not have any picks, I just kinda laid flat, kicked my legs and rolled out.
 I guess i am not a true believer in the ice picks. or maybe i would not put that much faith in them. but i know if i go throu again it would be nice to have a pair around my neck just in case. i guess?

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2010, 03:48 PM »
my question is about ice picks? has anyone ever had to use them? and if you did, did they work? the thought of using them is kinda scary, my luck i would probably stab myself.
     I went thou Bass a couple of yrs back. (totaly under water). i managed to get out rather quickly (once my head came out of the water). I did not have any picks, I just kinda laid flat, kicked my legs and rolled out.
 I guess i am not a true believer in the ice picks. or maybe i would not put that much faith in them. but i know if i go throu again it would be nice to have a pair around my neck just in case. i guess?

You would have got out alot easier with picks...you would not have had to roll out.  You just extend your arms and jam them into the ice...kick your legs to level your body like you did and use your arms to pull yourself onto the ice.  Then roll or crawl back the way you came.  I have never heard of anyone stabbing themselves.  Most picks interlock with one another when not in use so the points are not exposed or have a heavy spring loaded protector that is over the sharp point.  As you stab the ice the sping loaded cover slides back and the ponit goes into the ice.   Glad you got out without them, but for 8-10 bucks they are worth every penny.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:25 PM »
I take a cushion that floats. Be sure your buying safty gear for the right reason. Going on bad ice just cause you got the gear will get you wet faster than staying off the ice without the gear.Your best gear is  between your ears. Most drownings are cause by hypo thermea not sinking, when your wet your wet.

Offline FishinAddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2010, 01:31 AM »
I always have the cheapest red handle ice picks by South Bend I think. Luckily I never had to use them because the only time I fell thru was less than 5 ft. But was wondering if the cheap ones would actually hold up pulling yourself up or would they be like some of the other cheap China hand tools and break under pressure. I would hate to be hanging there holding 2 broken red handles with the spikes broken off. I may have to experiment or upgrade to some quality ones. I'd hate to die because I saved $4.  Also don't forget to add some  boot grippers or cleats to your safety list. They might not save your life but prevent some nasty falls.
ICE RULZ.................. ...

Offline frog eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:37 AM »
I have a boat cushion in my shanty

I used to carry a boat cushion but someone posted they use a boat bumper ( what ever they're called ??). Even though it won't support a person the idea is to get the rope to someone else and the bumper is more arrow dynamic to throw. It will even slide the last 30 feet. The down side is it won't be usefull by yourself, but neither will a seat cushion unless you're holding it or the rope connected to it while you're walking. The rope wraps around the bumper to keep together pretty good.  I have never used either but food for thought.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.