Author Topic: Slough Conditions and bite hot/not?  (Read 3618 times)

Offline RynoIceMan

• Team IceShanty Addict
Slough Conditions and bite hot/not?
« on: Jan 17, 2010, 06:28 PM »
ice and activity at slough...headin down in A.M.
Didnt catch a damn thing! Guess you can say we took a lickn'
Tonights fish fry is gonna taste like chicken!
A Bad Day of Fishin' Beats a Good Day of Anything Else

Offline slipbobber

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Slough Conditions and bite hot/not?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:09 PM »
HEARD IT WAS A SLOW  BITE THIS MORNING.Going out tommorrow for the late afternoon bite.

Offline heinidog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:29 PM »
Was out this morn ice is fine  bite was slow today  kept 14 nice gills  Sat was better but still slow kept 18 2 pals kept 10 and 13. Good luck in the morn :tipup:

Offline RynoIceMan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:40 PM »
Thanks Alot!   any big bass or pike on tip ups??

Offline heinidog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:53 PM »
did not fish any tip-ups but, saw a few bass get taken. 1 looked like a keeper did not see it get thrown back.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:37 PM »
Good ice-very slow bite. Fished in front of island-3 Bass 14 and under and 10 gills between 8 guys-lol.
Slow day.
Tom

Offline minnowkeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2010, 05:19 AM »
Moved around alot Sunday and between 2 of us we ended up with 40 gills. Had to drill lots of holes and keep movin.
Leave nothing behind but your footprints

Offline RynoIceMan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2010, 03:35 PM »
hows the ice holdin up...im headin down in the mornin.....

Offline hotch2k

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2010, 03:44 PM »
ice is fine. thickness varies. 6" is the thinnest that I saw
Born to fish. What else is there?

Offline alan street

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2010, 03:52 PM »
Fished mormon hill yesterday ice is fine bite is slow fished from daylight to about 4:30 and had 35 between 2 of us a ton of little ones

Offline Flypopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2010, 03:59 PM »
Fished Mormon Hill on Sunday afternoon and caught 4 in 2 hrs. had to keep moving and the bite is LIIIIIGHT
but the Marmish Rod did the trick

Offline minnow keith

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2010, 04:15 PM »
WAS OUT SATURDAY.BETWEEN 6 OF US WE KEPT 135 NOT 7 INCHERS EITHER.CAUGHT OVER 250 FOR 6 GUYS.THIS IN NOT A LIE EITHER.GUYS ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS KEEP MOVING AND FIND NEW FISH.MOST SPOTS THE FISH ARE THERE BUT SO BEET UP ON IT IS NOT FUNNY.

KEITH

Offline RynoIceMan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2010, 05:51 PM »
Awesome...thanks guys

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2010, 06:16 PM »
WAS OUT SATURDAY.BETWEEN 6 OF US WE KEPT 135 NOT 7 INCHERS EITHER.CAUGHT OVER 250 FOR 6 GUYS.THIS IN NOT A LIE EITHER.GUYS ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS KEEP MOVING AND FIND NEW FISH.MOST SPOTS THE FISH ARE THERE BUT SO BEET UP ON IT IS NOT FUNNY.

KEITH

Offline slipbobber

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2010, 06:49 PM »

KEITH
I think your dreaming son.

Offline Flypopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2010, 07:30 PM »

KEITH
this post doesn't say what they "supposedly" were catching!  all it says is not 7inchers, maybe smaller than 7?

Offline wheatfield Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2010, 07:37 PM »
I'd have to agree with Jeff,  I was there this weekend also and nobody was on a hot bite. Moved alot tried every color ther is. Purple was the most productive.
Tom

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:20 PM »
I am skeptical of all the Willow Slough posts I read here and on my Chicago fishing boards.  Everybody seems to catch limits of 9-10 inch gills with some 11 inch fish mixed in, most pictures reveal what looks to be like 7 -8 inch fish with a couple that could possibly hit the 9 mark.  It just seems odd that a lake that was just restocked after a fish kill a few years ago could already have so many fish in the 10 to 11 inch range.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline minnowkeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2010, 11:03 PM »
We go out with a purpose, that's to target bigger gills than the average fisherman, not just to get out of the house or away from the wife. We don't sit on our hind ends waiting for the fish to come to us, we look for them. Most average or periodic fishermen are non believers which makes it easier for the true hardcore fishermen  to catch bigger and better fish, and we Thank You!
Leave nothing behind but your footprints

Offline mbluka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2010, 11:09 PM »
For what its worth  minnow keith is no liar,the group he was fishing with is in the 10% club. Probably 4 holes cut for each fish taken. Size ran from 7.5" to 9" on gills 9" to 10.5" on red ear and 9" to 12" on the few crappie that were taken.   JUST GOTA KEEP MOVIN

Offline apricot brandy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2010, 10:10 AM »
I will back up Keith's account of sat.at the slough. I was just south of his group. We've never met, but since my name is also Keith I heard his name mentioned several times. My buddy , myself , and later my brother all got our 25. I don't keep dinks. My buddy got a 9.5" redear and a 11"crappy with his 23 gils. Went back on Mon. Different story. 10-9 & ONE!!! :'(
bobbers down- flags up

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2010, 10:46 AM »
I am somewhat skeptical about Minnows report and find it hard to believe. But I guess anything is possible as I have been fishing out there through the ice for over 20 years and have never had over 200 fish caught at one outing with my fishing buds. The gills out there are quality fish and the nutrients in the water itself must be just perfect for them to grow so fast. Though I must say the fish were alot larger in size years ago.

Poorboy

Offline apricot brandy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2010, 11:27 AM »
You're right ultra. Back in the 70's we called them "sloughgils". They were huge.  The winter of 78-79 or that neighbohood had over 2 feet of ice on the slough. Then we  got heavy snow. The plants quit producing oxygen and actually started withdrawing oxygen to survive. Late that season when you cut a hole, it was not uncommon to have dead gils float into it. >:( The last fish were being taken in the open waters at the airators by the HDQRS. These fishermen were also slipping in off the edge. After that it became a bass lake.  We put down our gil poles and for the next several seasons we fished 3 tip-ups. I   also remember renting boats back in the 60's when it was primarily a crappie lake. For a lake that was intended mainly for duck hunting, it has gone thru many phases and done itself quite nicely. Obviously VERY FERTILE WATERS.
bobbers down- flags up

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2010, 11:34 AM »
Used to all be part of the Kankakee up until the early 1900's.
Tom

Offline BIGKAT9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2010, 12:18 PM »
Was at the Slough on Wed am kept 7 ,had to move around  ,was at Birdsnest point .I just joined the forum an was wondering  after reading a lot of the posts  an seeing all the shantys how long before the slough will be fished out,seems like it gets fished heavy. With a lot of people taking their limits it doesn't seem like it will last.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 21, 2010, 12:27 PM »
Its been doing this for over 50 yrs, I'm sure she'll make it.
Tom

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2010, 12:36 PM »
IF YOU DROP A CAMERA DOWN BEFORE LIGHT YOU CAN SEE ALL THE BAIT MOVING ON THE SCREEN. QUITE AMAZING. SIGHT FISHING IS WHERE IT IS AT-----AWESOME.

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 21, 2010, 01:23 PM »
One Saturday last year (Feb '09') the DNR guy who was doing a creel survey as you walked off the ice by the headquarters showed me the list and the total fish count for the day at that time and there was over 1,700 fish kept just in that one day and it was like 3:30 in the afternoon. Yes the lake does get alot of pressure but most of it seems through the ice. Lookin to get out there maybe Tuesday of next week if the ice holds up...

Poorboy

Offline minnow keith

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 21, 2010, 03:12 PM »
HEY GUYS,
WE USUALL DO NOT POST BUT SINCE WE HAD A GREAT DAY WE DID.BUT I WILL NOT POST ANYMORE.

TAKE CARE GUYS

MINNOWKEITH

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 21, 2010, 04:08 PM »
HEY GUYS,
WE USUALL DO NOT POST BUT SINCE WE HAD A GREAT DAY WE DID.BUT I WILL NOT POST ANYMORE.

TAKE CARE GUYS

MINNOWKEITH

Keep posting.  I was not discrediting how many you caught.  I am just skeptical of the size of fish being reported by a lot of people, when pictures are posted all I ever see are mostly 7-8 inch fish, next year I will be a believe of the 9.5 inch and up limits.  As I said I am sure there are some big ones in there already, but I just don't see how everybody can always catch their limits of the big one considering the fish are only a few years old.

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.