The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Flurocarbon leader  (Read 1463 times)

Offline rubline

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flurocarbon leader
« on: Jan 17, 2010, 04:08 PM »
  Well I tried fluorocarbon and must say I am disappointed.  Bought a brand new spool of 10lb in October and made 6' leaders on my tip ups.  In three different  ice fishing outings I have broken a leader each time.  They broke on the fish end not at the hole.  So as I type this I am going back and putting monofilament back on the tip ups.  Is it possible that its not as tough as it should be? Or maybe its affected by temperature?  In 6 years of fishing I have never had the monofilament break.  Ideas of suggestions are accepted, bring them on my brothers and sisters of Iceshanty.

Aaron

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Flurocarbon leader
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2010, 04:16 PM »
  Well I tried fluorocarbon and must say I am disappointed.  Bought a brand new spool of 10lb in October and made 6' leaders on my tip ups.  In three different  ice fishing outings I have broken a leader each time.  They broke on the fish end not at the hole.  So as I type this I am going back and putting monofilament back on the tip ups.  Is it possible that its not as tough as it should be? Or maybe its affected by temperature?  In 6 years of fishing I have never had the monofilament break.  Ideas of suggestions are accepted, bring them on my brothers and sisters of Iceshanty.

Aaron

Flourocarbon leaders, especially on quality waters, is the greatest thing to hit the fishing world in a long, long time but you MUST wet your knots before tightening and pull VERY slow. Don't give up on it quite yet. ;)

Offline fuldraw

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2010, 04:21 PM »
i dont have an answer to the flurocarbon breaking but i have moved away from that now too.  what i have been using for the last couple seasons is the fireline microice and you can get it in black or white.  i am using 4lb test on all my traps right now and let me tell you that 4lb test is strong you cant break it with your hands.  i even caught a handful of pike on it last year ranging from 5-8 pounds and didnt break off once.  (and no i dont usually use it for pike i was just experimenting).  i got stuck on bottom last year while using this line and i had to break it free or so i thought.  when i got the line in the hook actually straightened out the line never broke.

one thing to keep in mind when using the line is use the knot that they tell you to use the knot strength isnt that great with most normal knots

Offline rubline

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2010, 04:22 PM »
  I did some homework on knots before I started.  I used the Palomar knot on the hook end and the Trylene? knot on the swivel end.  I did wet them.  I saved the last line that broke and the best way to describe it is that if you have ever seen a broken carbon shaft arrow and how it splinters thats how the line looks.  If I had to guess I would say a pickerel had the bait and when he changed direction,  I was holding the line and it slid accross the teeth and just cut it like a saw.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2010, 04:26 PM »
Try some Seaguar Abraz-x, simple improved cinch, 5 turns.  If you fish clear waters, you'll double your hookups and should have no issues. :tipup:

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2010, 04:33 PM »
was you using standard fluro, or fluro leader material?? The laeder material is much stronger
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline rubline

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2010, 04:39 PM »
 It was standard p-line fluro

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2010, 05:10 PM »
Theres a couple guys on here that use 20 or 30 lb p-line for pike, and swear buy it. As far a mono, i'm using 50 lb mono leader material for pike, and so far is holing up nice.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline rubline

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2010, 05:16 PM »
  Ive never fished for pike and really dont intend to do so anytime soon.  I just couldnt understand how line that is supposed to be a superior product broke easier than traditional mono.

Offline Genxer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2010, 05:44 PM »
Their are two problems with some fluorocarbon lines.  One is its is is "shock Resistance" value due to lack of stretch.  This gets worse with colder weather/ water conditions due to its brittle features as compared to mono line.  The other problem is if you get a kink in fluorocarbon line it will fracture very easy.  A kink can be made as easily as crimping a split shot sinker on wrong.  That being said, I would recommend Seaguar 100% Carbon Ice.  I have been using 10lb & 12lb as my leader for about 8 years and the results have been very good.

Scott

BTW - I tried the P-Line Fluorocarbon a few years ago and did not like it either.

Offline nofishin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:14 AM »
i use 10lbs vanish flouro on all my traps.  i have never broken it.  i love it and my catch's went up drastically.  you must wet the line before tying your knots. be very careful and test each knot.  normally if i tie a knot i will test it.  sometimes the line crimps and when i tug on it it will break.  mono is tough stuff but by switching to flouro lines i actually catch fish.  don't give up.  just try a new companys line

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:29 AM »
i used to use berkley transition for tip up leaders and had problems w/ breakoffs at the hook in cold weather. use leader material floro. alot stronger than the stuff you put on your reel spool. ive used the seagar and yo-zuri hydrocarbon leader material w/ good luck. stuffs tough as nails! good luck!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:49 AM »
Brand and type make a big different, I have used most of them and find that Seaguard leader mat. is the way to go. I guide in the salt and we test lines and leader on BIG fish. There is so much money riding on a day of Tuna fishing, that the good and bad are determined fast. The Seaguard works the best from trout to tuna. I had one striper trip using the P-line last season, now I use the left over for tying up news papers.
Tight Lines,
Allan Butler
Light Lines Guiding

Offline king salmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:21 AM »
Try some Seaguar, you"ll never go back to mono.

Offline boulderdash

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2010, 10:04 AM »
always cut  floro never  wrap and snap  bite and pull or  you will put micro fracture  in it . always use floro leader like seagur or flyfishing tippit material like orvis mirage. There is no stretch in floro  so you should get better hooksets the draw back would be  that you will reach the lines breaking point sooner and you wont get the shock absorbing bounce that you get with mono . floro is also effected by uv rays so if you had floro line on a rod you left outside and then went to grab some line of it for ice fishing leader then it would  be comprimised

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2010, 11:50 AM »

P-line is a copolymer line with a silicone fluorocarbon coating.
 You should try 100% fluorocarbon, great stuff. 
As for tinsel strength, 10 lb. test should break off at 10.10 lbs of weight. 
 Mono floats. fluoro sinks.   ;)
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2010, 04:35 PM »
the best leader material i have found and used in 24 years is power pro. or power pro ice if you can still find it. 10# test is what im using 2# dia. low vis and extremely strong. havnt had a breaki off at all. infact i ahvnt had an issue in the last 4 years using it. all i fish for are trout and salmon and they dont have a problem w/ it either.

Offline rubline

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:29 PM »
  Thank you everyone for your input it is greatly appreciated.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.