Author Topic: Seafoam in ATV!!!--video  (Read 19156 times)

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
Seafoam in ATV!!!--video
« on: Jan 17, 2010, 12:26 PM »
I have always ran seafoam through the gas tank on my atv and the engine oil but today was the first time I ran it directly into the carb..all I can say is WOW!!! It made my 5 yr old kawasaki praire 700 run like it was brand new. No lie!!!! It is a v twin engine so there is two carbs. I ran about 1/4 of a can into each carb while it was running. It will kill the engine pretty fast. Than i let it sit about 5 mins and went back and fired it up. Than I ran it until the smoke cleared. It will run very poorly until all the seafoam is ran through the system. I would recommend this to everybody. It can also be done on EFI machines also. Make sure you do it outside and on a maching that has been brought to operating temp. here is a video of what to expect
http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/teamlund/?action=view&current=seafoamtreatment001.flv
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline rayman54

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Seafoam in ATV!!!--video
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2010, 02:20 PM »
Looks kind of like foggin' the boat motor for the winter.  How much sea-foam did ya' run through??
I have to ask why? Was it running poor?  I have a 10 year old pull-yer-ass Magnum 500 and it starts and runs fine but  now you got me wondering if I need to do this.

RAYMAN54,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :icefish:

Offline Smoothtpd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2010, 02:23 PM »
I run seafoam through the throttle body of all my gas vehicles but I've never done my atv.  I started doing it when GM changed the formula for their top end cleaner a couple of years back.  Fuel injected vehicles tend to get a carbon buildup on the intake side of the manifold.  Seafoam clears it right out.  I usually pour it in and let it sit an hour or overnight.  Then fire it up and drive it around.  It fogs out the neighborhood but man does the vehicle run an idle much smooooother. 
If it doesnt have wheels, swim, or run naked in the woods, I dont know anything about it.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2010, 02:28 PM »
Looks kind of like foggin' the boat motor for the winter.  How much sea-foam did ya' run through??
I have to ask why? Was it running poor?  I have a 10 year old pull-yer-ass Magnum 500 and it starts and runs fine but  now you got me wondering if I need to do this.

RAYMAN54,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :icefish:

My kawasaki is a twin cylinder so I put about 1/4 of the can into each carb. It may have been alittle more..
I was doing reg maint on my truck and ATV today and I always run seafoam in the oil and gas tank on both. This time I ran it direct like the can says just to see if it made a diff. I thought my truck and atv WERE running good until i did this. It made a huge diff and only takes a few mins to do my truck and atv. You should do it on your atv and get back to us. They guarantee an immediate difference and I definatly seen one.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2010, 02:30 PM »
I run seafoam through the throttle body of all my gas vehicles but I've never done my atv.  I started doing it when GM changed the formula for their top end cleaner a couple of years back.  Fuel injected vehicles tend to get a carbon buildup on the intake side of the manifold.  Seafoam clears it right out.  I usually pour it in and let it sit an hour or overnight.  Then fire it up and drive it around.  It fogs out the neighborhood but man does the vehicle run an idle much smooooother. 

If you go to you tube you can find videos of the guys from seafoam doing the same thing that I did to my atv to chainsaws, lawnmowers, ect....... My ice auger will be getting the treatment also. I am beyond impressed with the diff it made in my truck and atv that all of my engine items are going to get the shock treatment

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2010, 02:33 PM »
I have posted this on a bunch of websites just becasue I am totally impressed. I even email seafoam just to let them know how pleased I was with the results.

Offline rayman54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2010, 03:51 PM »
Next trip up I plan on giving the machine a dose of foam.

Here is a good penetrating fluid that I am very impressed with (Kroil/Aerokroil), been using it for 20+ years, better than PB Blaster and others I have tried, nothing else comes close.
Good for cleaning gun bores as well.

http://www.kanolabs.com/

RAYMAN54,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2010, 02:24 PM »
Sea Foam works but there is kinda a shortcut to do the same thing almost. Ever smell Coleman fuel?= White gas. Extremely refined fuel. Smell your sea foam and tell me what you think? Burns witha hotter flame and will burn of carbon on your valves somewhat.

Offline IceFishinJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Alcoholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2010, 09:47 PM »
How did you run it through the Carbs? My machines have single carbs on them, I was thinking about putting some in a spray bottle and running it like that, would that work?

Joe

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:27 PM »
hey Joe, I took off the air filter and all that good stuff and SLOWLY poured it into the carb until it died than poured alittle more in and let it sit for about 5 mins. Than fire it up and rev it up til the smoke clears. Run the machine before hand and get it up to operating temp.....Its super easy. ..........you dont have to get to technical. I put about 1/4 of a can through each carb.

Offline IceFishinJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Alcoholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2010, 11:54 PM »
On my machine my carb is vertical though so pouring is out of the question.

Joe

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2010, 05:10 AM »
On my machine my carb is vertical though so pouring is out of the question.

Joe

You mean horizontal? Than a spray bottle shoould work fine. If you go on you tube there are videos roght from the guys at seafoam that get into great detail about how to do it and its effects....Just search "seafoam" on the youtube site...let us know how it works for you

Offline IceFishinJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Alcoholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:02 PM »
Yes horizontal is what I meant to say. Thanks for the idea I will have to search it on youtube.

Joe

Offline optimusfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:55 PM »
Any luck with spraying into a horizontal carb? I just picked up a 2003 Kawasaki Bayou 250 that bogs without choke. I know it probably needs a proper carb clean, but I'm wondering if this little trick could buy me some time until its a little warmer for that kind of tinkering. That and a weekend day cleaning a carb is a day not fishing.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2010, 06:52 AM »
Any luck with spraying into a horizontal carb? I just picked up a 2003 Kawasaki Bayou 250 that bogs without choke. I know it probably needs a proper carb clean, but I'm wondering if this little trick could buy me some time until its a little warmer for that kind of tinkering. That and a weekend day cleaning a carb is a day not fishing.

It will never hurt the machine. It might cure the boggin' (or not) but it will never hurt. It should take many years of wear and tear off that rig.

Offline cityfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2010, 09:04 AM »
i did it in my 650 v twin AC... helped out forsure!!  and the smokeshow was nice...

GLadly i upgraded to a popo 500x2 efi... Much better machine !

Offline optimusfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2010, 07:41 PM »
Well I found I had a fuel leak coming from the carb's overflow hose, so I had to pull the thing off anyways to check the float. As long as I had it off I took the thing all apart, and I've got it all soaking in seafoam right now. Hopefully that'll cure the bog too, I'll report back when it gets all put back together later this weekend.

Offline optimusfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:45 AM »
After the tear down and cleaning the leak is gone and everything is much cleaner, but I think I set the float too low because it doesn't relly want to start and when it does it dies right quick. The seafoam did a nice jobe cleaning though. When I took the carb apart you could see no light through the pilot jet or even through the carb body where the pilot jet screws in. That pretty well explains why I needed choke all the time. After the seafoam soak I can see the light, so hopefully once I tweak the float I'll be in business. The fact that the temps around here have been hanging in the single digits hasn't really helped with carb tinkering though.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2010, 07:29 PM »
If your carb was that bad just imagine how much gunk is built up inside of the engine. When you get the carb back together make sure to run seafoam throgh the engine. It will be a new machine!

PS before the next oil change run some in the engine oil for a few miles, than change the oil. the entire system will have been cleaned out by seafoam!

Offline optimusfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2010, 07:59 PM »
I was planning to add some seafoam to the gas tank once I got her back running. Is that what you mean by run it through the engine, or is there something else I should be doing? I'll give the oil a shot too. Probably should change the oil since I have no idea when the previous owner last changed it. Do you run seafoam in the new oil or just the old for a bit before you change it out? Supposed to have a high of 28 degrees here tomorrow, woohoo, so I'm taking the day off from work to tinker on it.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:17 PM »
I was planning to add some seafoam to the gas tank once I got her back running. Is that what you mean by run it through the engine, or is there something else I should be doing? I'll give the oil a shot too. Probably should change the oil since I have no idea when the previous owner last changed it. Do you run seafoam in the new oil or just the old for a bit before you change it out? Supposed to have a high of 28 degrees here tomorrow, woohoo, so I'm taking the day off from work to tinker on it.

Running it in the gas tank is great but I ran it directly into the carbs in large amounts. It will make a huge diff! I poured it into the "throat" of each carb which were inside of the air intake filter.I ran 1/4 of a can into each carb......My truck is an efi and I slowly poured it into the pcv valve....there is all kinds of videos on youtube. Just do a search for "seafoam" Just make sure that the machine is up to operating temp. dont start it and pour seafoam in while its still cold.

add some into the oil now and than run a few miles on it. I just added seafoam into the oil in my truck and drove it 100 miles than changed the oil. It will make your oil thicker so just run a few miles to clean it out than change it.  

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:40 PM »
FYI: Sea Foam also comes in a spray can its called Deep Creep. I always have a can of each on hand.

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:31 PM »
where do you buy this stuff, and how much?
How are the edges ?

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2010, 04:40 AM »
you can get it at any automotive store. I get mine at fleet farm. Its anywhere from 6-9 dollars a can.

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:24 AM »
where do you buy this stuff, and how much?

Most Wal Marts in Michigan carry it.......stuff is great......every single thing I own with a motor gets it in the gas tank....been using it in my quad since it was new in 07.......runs like a top......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.