The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Let em run or sting em?  (Read 1076 times)

Offline dvn4flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
Let em run or sting em?
« on: Jan 16, 2010, 07:43 PM »
I've always been quick to the flag and if the lines moving I give a small tug and start haulin.  I'd say my hookup rate is descent with most species except pike and browns <- because when I miss a fish it's usually a big brown ;D. I know alot of folks wait  until after the first run to set the hook and I was wondering if the hookup rate is much better and if those fish are usually gut hooked? I'd love to increase my hookup rate when targeting trout and usually take them home for dinner but I let a good amount fish go to swim another day.  I've even tried the rubber band trick and I must be doing it wrong because I have even less hookups that way.  Any suggestions, especially for browns, I've had a few frustrasting outings lately.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
Re: Let em run or sting em?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2010, 07:46 PM »
I've tried the wait for 2 runs deal (while pike fishing), frustrates the heck outta me, when you watch the reel scream, then go slack, and nothing. I do better setting the hook on the fisrt run (but there are days where you have to give em time to take it good)
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline fishon--fishoff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • catchem when you can
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2010, 07:47 PM »
I like to be very patient and let the fish swallow it so i let it go and go.....And if the fish does run and drop it than you probally wouldn't of hooked up anyhow because it didn't start to swallow it....That is just me Good luck to you

Offline blueFLAG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2010, 07:48 PM »
for pike i use treble hook with a sliding single hook in the shiners mouth and the treble through the back and have lost very few fish, -jesse

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2010, 07:50 PM »
I'm not some kid of all knowing dude. One thing I have learned though is fish don't play by the rules. How long I wait on a tipup changes by the day. I'm more of a pike guy than trout when it comes to tipups. When you get into some solid action with a bunch of misses change it up. I've had days when I've had to jump on it quick and days when I have to watch the fish peel a bunch of line off to get a good hook set.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline StingingLips

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2010, 08:06 PM »
when you are having days with long runs and then they spit it try using the rubber band method

Offline shackdweller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2010, 04:52 AM »
when you are having days with long runs and then they spit it try using the rubber band method
read about it on here a few times. What is the rubber band method? Thanks Shack

Offline bowhunt302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2010, 06:34 AM »
I always fish it actively.   If it is rolling out, the fish should have the bait in it's mouth, unless you roped em.    The more time you give it, the more time there is for a spit bait, gut hooking etc...   

Offline MGK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2010, 06:57 AM »
I don't know because when I fish alone I don't wait too long before I pull in the flag. I don't miss many fish. My dad on the other hand will sit at the hole for 5 minutes sometime letting the fish go. He doesn't miss many either. If I'm in shallow water I like to grab the flag quicker because this fish can wrap you on a log/rock, or take out so much line that it drags on the bottom and the fish can pull it out.

I have a friend that doesn't give them anytime. He runs to the flag and grabs it even if he was standing next to it. He has the fish drop it a lot. I would at least give them a little while.

Offline Corso

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:23 AM »
6-1...half dozen to the other lol

Offline FlagChasr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:28 AM »
I'm a run and tug guy myself. Too excited to wait.
My numbers are'nt great either.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:35 AM »
I probably had over 25 flags at the derby yesterday and definitely had the best luck when I waited for the second run.  I would also like to say all my hook ups were easy to extract, so I would definitely recommend circle/octopus hooks.

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:36 AM »
I like to sting em. Less time for them to spit it out ;)

Offline dvn4flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2010, 09:15 AM »
Thanks for all the good tips.  It's tough to sit and watch that line spinning out and I hate gut hooking something I'm releasing but I guess some species need a little more time.  I don't fish for pike to often but I bet my hookup rate is under 50 %. At the statewide a few years ago we fished Sabattus and had over 40 flags out of which we landed maybe 15 fish talk about frustrating.  

Offline IceFisha84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2010, 10:20 AM »
I myself like to sting em but sometimes let them go with it for a minute just to make sure they got it. But I have been fishing with people that will take their time going after a flag I guess to let the fish go with it. I have also caught some brookies that have hit the bait and then just sit there with it so in that case you cant let them run with it because there not going with it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.