Author Topic: Fishing Around Moose Jaw  (Read 3310 times)

Offline jts1

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishing Around Moose Jaw
« on: Jan 16, 2010, 03:49 PM »
I am down from Alberta in Moose Jaw`Sask. Will be looking to get my sisters 10 year old boy on top of some fish tomorrow. Any updates on where to start would be great guys Thanks.
Jeff St Germain<br /> [email protected]

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fishing Around Moose Jaw
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:51 AM »
We have been doing well at Buffalo pound perch and pike.  Take the #2 north of moose jaw too south lake when you are going down the hill you can see where people are set up.
Blake from Elbow

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing and share our sport!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:43 PM »
Out to the Pound today! Great afternoon on the ice with the sun on my face and fishing in a long sleeve t-shirt.  We had a productive afternoon, icing a few smaller pike and a nice pickerel. 
Around 20" of ice on the West side of the Old causway, but one fellow found out that the ice on the East side is rather thin...he fell through, looked surprised and then pulled himself out of the 4 feet of water while his "friends" laughed at him.
Seemed to be fine and continued fishing for the afternoon.

Would like to try Lovering lakes if anyone has any information that they are willing to share, it would be appreciated.

Later Days  :tipup:
Teach your children, but never be afraid to let them teach you

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2010, 01:44 PM »
you say the ice is 20" on the west side of the old causway.  How deep of water are you fishing over there? 
Blake from Elbow

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2010, 02:04 PM »
The water was about 10 feet including the ice...not deep, but the bite was constant.

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2010, 03:44 PM »
We fished camp capernum - spelling? - on Friday lots of Perch fished four hours kept 10 between two of us,  thought about trying the causway.  Now I know what the ice is like we might hit it Sat.
Blake from Elbow

Offline jts1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2010, 04:40 PM »
I am free this week if someone wants to head out for some perch
Jeff St Germain<br /> [email protected]

Offline fishhunter77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2010, 10:37 PM »
Jts1,

Good luck in Sask.   I am stuck going to Pigeon this weekend with my boy. 

I hope you have some great fishing.  I have always heard great things about the lakes there but have never ice fished any :'(

:icefish:

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2010, 08:19 AM »
Will be going out on Sat.  Black Dodge blue portable.
Blake from Elbow

Offline snakehead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2010, 11:16 AM »
The fishing is good at bp,jack seem to be hungry lots of 2 and 3 pounders,and the odd monster.Perch have been active and the odd walleye.Remember last year fishing dried up (could fish for days and not get a bite). I think it must be the warm temps and the sunny days?
Last summer i took my boat north of the causeway but it got to weedy so i turned back. The lake goes for miles to the north and it looks like no one fishs that end.Has anyone ever fished the north end. The snow is not to bad and a 4 by 4 could drive with no problem.Maybe we should check it out.

Lovering lake is used for spear fishing in the summer because of its clear water and warm temp. To tell the truth i have fished it 3 times and not had a bite.I have seen lots of fish swimming but they dont bite. I talked to a guy that was spear fishing and he said there is tons of fish.He had 4 nice jack and said he got all of them about 3 feet off shore.

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2010, 12:18 PM »
The only problem with the west end of the lake - past causway - water flow and ice thickness.

Blake from Elbow

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2010, 12:55 PM »
The only problem with the west end of the lake - past causway - water flow and ice thickness.

Yep, on the East side of the old causway and the highway the ice is really thin.  Watched a guy fall through last Sunday...good thing it wasn't -25 or he would have been in real trouble.  Some people are a little crazy and don't respect the ice or the lake. :cookoo:  Sometimes they learn their lesson about the ice and being careful...sometimes, you only get one chance.

Offline snakehead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2010, 03:04 PM »
I always stay away from the east side of the causeway and the east and west side of the bridge but i didnt know that the west end had that much water flow. I think a sled would be the best way to travel . This weekend i will give it a try if the weather holds. If i stay to the shore and go slow i should be safe. I will bring my fish finder and i should be able to see amount of fish.
In my earlier post i had west and north wrong, it must be the hill and the curve at the bottom that missed me up.

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2010, 12:46 PM »
going to try by the camp on sat.  been fishing in 10+' of water going to set up shallow, no sun this weekend hope there is still a bite.
Blake from Elbow

Offline fishhunter77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:23 PM »
Jts1,

How did you make out so far?  I hope you got a few. :tipup:

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2010, 08:36 AM »
We caught 12 perch four that were over 12" the rest we'll get next year one pike thru the ice missed a couple of flags.  We had one small pike try to eat my camera and he hung out for 15 mins that slowed the perch down for a while.  There was alot of perch on camera just not that hungry yesterday.
Blake from Elbow

Offline snakehead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:20 AM »
I always stay away from the east side of the causeway and the east and west side of the bridge but i didnt know that the west end had that much water flow. I think a sled would be the best way to travel . This weekend i will give it a try if the weather holds. If i stay to the shore and go slow i should be safe. I will bring my fish finder and i should be able to see amount of fish.
In my earlier post i had west and north wrong, it must be the hill and the curve at the bottom that missed me up.
So much for my big plans to head west on bp. we will try soon but all this snow will make it a lot harder to travel. Thats what i get for being lazy last week.

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:57 AM »
You NEED four wheel drive to get around on the lake.  Had a buddy come from Lowney's to the old camp.  Said it was tough going.  There is a road we would normally use down at South lake but a knuckle head tried to drive on the lake with a mini van.  We offered to give him a tow - his reply was " no truck will make it up this road, grab a shovel and help".  Then he told us if we try and drive by he would smash our windows out with his shovel.  Needless to say we left him and drove the lake. He was gone at the end of the day.  He must have shoveled 200'. - good for him.
Blake from Elbow

Offline snakehead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2010, 12:07 PM »
Ya 4 by 4 is a must now.Sorry to hear about the butt head with the shovel, you did the right thing by driving away lots of nut jobs in the world. Its nice to see you offer help to a stranger. Its all about karma man. I hope you limit out the next time you go fishing.

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2010, 02:24 PM »
Aint that the truth!  Some people are just a little off their rocker... I have been pulling people out all over Moose Jaw for the past couple of days.  How was fishing the other day at the camp?  I heard that by the causeway was still pretty good, but the ice is still thin in spots.

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2010, 03:59 PM »
The one pike in the pic was the only one on the ice missed a couple at the hole's.  kept 3 perch they were good size.  There was alot of fish on camera just a slow bite.  The sun never came out at all. We are going again on Fri.  starting early not taking kids so  I can fish alot harder than if I have the girls they love to go fishing but sometimes you need to go without them ;).
Blake from Elbow

Offline heiz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2010, 01:04 PM »
ya i just drove right past that dip stick stuck there if he is stupid enough to take his van down that trail he deserved to shovel i figured!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.