Author Topic: Mousies for bait  (Read 4493 times)

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Mousies for bait
« on: Jan 16, 2010, 10:05 AM »
A local Ohio bait shop is now carrying "Mousies" for ice fishing.  I've never used them and could use a little advise on how to hook them on a pin-min in order to keep the bugger's tail wiggling.

What are your successes with them in comparison to maggots, waxies, mealies?
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mousies for bait
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2010, 10:11 AM »
mousies are easier for the fish to get off the hook, I prefer spikes, or wax worms for bigger jigs.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2010, 10:31 AM »
Mousies are my preferred bait for perch, I buy them in bulk 1000 lots for my winter supply. I also cary spikes and waxies when one quits working I give them a change up.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Jaybobbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2010, 10:55 AM »
My dad and me almost always fish with mousies. I just hook them through the side and let the tail hang down. I love convincing my friends that have never seen them that they are baby mice.

Offline 2Bonthewater

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you OnTheHardWater
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2010, 11:13 AM »
Baby Mice !!!!

I love using them, but the local bait shop said they were not getting any this year due to the high cost.....that stinks......guess I can order some from Ebay.....there are a few bait dealers on there.......

mousies work great......that little tail dangling down works wonders.....I have caught all types of fish when I tip an ice jig with them........
See you OnTheHardWater

Offline ICEMAN73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2010, 11:25 AM »
I bring mousies, waxies,  red and white spikes, chubs, and minnows every time i hit the ice.  I'm always prepared where every I go.  Like a boy scout!!!         If they aint bitting, its always key to changing it up.  Mousies are a great bait to have in your arsenal.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2010, 11:51 AM »
How should they be stored? In a fridge?  What temps? 
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline ICEMAN14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2010, 01:08 PM »
my favorite for all pan fish! when they dont work i use spikes or vise versa. i find that the mousies seem to live longer than the sikes too i just keep my in the fridge and they seem to live just fine!
"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley."

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2010, 02:27 PM »
Love mousies.   You always know which end to hook!   ;D
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline Dangerousj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2010, 06:40 PM »
mousies work great for gills try using Krazy dust on em makes a diffrence

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2010, 06:47 PM »
i have never even heard of mousees before I started coming here, now I love them.  Around me everyone uses minnows, so its hard to get bugs of any kind so I had to order mine online.  Yesterday the CO was checking guys and we got talking and he asked to see my fish, when I showed him he was blown away at the size of perch I was catch as opposed to everyone else, he was even more suprised to find out that I didn't have a minnow bucket with me.  He asked what I was using and when I showed him he had no idea what they were.

From here on out I will alway have a puck filled with mousees.  I need to get a order in for some spikes yet too so I can have both.

Offline donaldstauffer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:18 AM »
I'm going to try some beside my wax worms and see what happens.

Offline blizzardfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2010, 02:13 PM »
A local Ohio bait shop is now carrying "Mousies" for ice fishing.  I've never used them and could use a little advise on how to hook them on a pin-min in order to keep the bugger's tail wiggling.

What are your successes with them in comparison to maggots, waxies, mealies?
love the critters!! :thumbsup:don't worry about keeping them alive on the hook cause the tail moves when you jig'em.easy to keep alive in fridge,i usually put them in the butter drawer so they don't get to cold.wife hates it though  :%$#!: :whistle:

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2010, 07:18 PM »
one of my favorites..alternate between them and spikes most days

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.