Author Topic: Keweenaw Bay Ice  (Read 15251 times)

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
Re: Keweenaw Bay Ice
« Reply #90 on: Feb 17, 2010, 07:41 PM »
Real good even after all the wind.  Lot of tents at Squaw beach today with a few out to the NE deeper fishing lakers.  Even a few tents coming on from the East side.  Couldn't tell if they were up by Whirly-gig or not and can't say how the ice is there, so be careful if you get the urge to try.  The ice from Mission to the North was broken up along the shoreline and looked pretty thin.  Need cold weather for a week or two. 

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Feb 17, 2010, 08:09 PM »
Sounds good! I'm hoping to go saturday evening with better luck than last weekend.

Offline Outdoorsmen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Feb 18, 2010, 01:03 PM »
man thats going to suck if we dont ever get on k bay.... chase saw you shack looks nice man.. even had randell help you? lol thought you would do it on you own slacker jk man went to cb last sunday 31 in 3 hours hopefully going this weekend thursday... stupid school  :P :tipup:
Dusty Gagnon... you buy the bait i'll catch the fish!
:icefish:

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Feb 21, 2010, 02:23 PM »
We went out from Jentoft's dock Saturday. The ice was extremely rough to travel on. It was all jumbled up with chunks sticking up into the air everywhere. I saw a few people with snowmobiles or 4 wheelers out there but they had to travel very slowly and pick their way through the slabs of ice. There are also a lot of slabs under the surface. A couple came out in the afternoon and drilled a hole with a power auger. I heard the woman laughing that they didn't hit the lake before the auger bottomed out! I had a couple of holes where the ice was between 1' to 2' thick and another hole where the ice was 8" thick. The fish were hitting sporadically and I lost a few while hauling them up but we didn't catch anything.

Offline pure_joker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • THE JIG RIG
« Reply #94 on: Mar 05, 2010, 08:23 AM »
Made a trip up yesterday and fished off Ford Dr.  Between my dad and I we went 3-10? keeping two 20 and 25. First fish I had on bent my jig strait and got off! We were fishing 155-180' and had most of our action in the morning. Fishing turned off once the sun came out and the wind started blowing from the east.

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Mar 05, 2010, 09:27 AM »
Was this Pequaming? How much ice is there thinking about lakers for saturday

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Mar 05, 2010, 01:35 PM »
ya i'm also wondering about how much ice there is of pequaming or whirl-i-gig. I wanna take my fourwheeler out there but i don't know how safe it is anymore with this warm weather.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Keweenaw Bay Ice- Whirl-I-Gig
« Reply #97 on: Mar 05, 2010, 11:19 PM »
We are heading out there tomorrow. My fishing partner was there today and said that there was about 8 1/2 inches of ice. If you are out there look for a multi-colored shack with fiberglass garage door panels on each end and green, brown, and tan nylon fabric on the sides and top. We will also have a camo deer hunting blind or two. If it is real nice we may not be in the tents though. We will probably be getting out there around 11 to 11:30 or so and will stay till dark.

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Mar 06, 2010, 06:22 PM »
Went off the whirli-gig today between the 3 of us we got 2 lakers and missed a ton of em' they were not really hitting just a few pecks and they were done. The ice varied alot in thickness out there one hole we had 4", another we had 6" and the other we had 10" :P

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline Grizzlyadams73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Mar 06, 2010, 07:16 PM »
we had the same today.  thought it was gonna be a good day at first but that went down hill fast. we had one 14" and a 18". never had a bite after 11  quit at 130

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Mar 06, 2010, 10:27 PM »
We went out from the Whirl I Gig today too. We got out there about noon or so and there wasn't much happening. Very few bites and 2 fish between 5 of us.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Mar 09, 2010, 12:26 PM »
Well i was going to head out from the mission for lakers this afternoon, but i here the ice is unsafe and dangerous??? Kinda sad. Anyone out and about that area?

Offline matt_fargo2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Mar 12, 2010, 12:26 PM »
I saw that all permanents are off the ice and no vehicle traffic. The ice is just about gone, just need some south wind to take it to sea.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.