The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: HT or Eskimo hand ice augers  (Read 2493 times)

Offline frank_02019

• IceShanty Rookie
HT or Eskimo hand ice augers
« on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:09 PM »
Hi Guys,

I'm new to ice fishing and new to the site, and wanted some advice.  BassPro is out of the StrikeMaster Lazer hand ice augers and Dicks only has HT and Eskimo Brands.  Does anyone have an opinion about these brands?  I wanted to get out on the ice this weekend, but if I can't poke holes...thats not gonna happen  :(

Offline lakerlander

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 32" 13.5 lbs. broodstock
Re: HT or Eskimo hand ice augers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2010, 10:32 PM »
Just bought a nils hand auger from fish307.com  it only took 3 days to show up at the house (regular shipping). A bit pricey but well worth the cost. They also have others augers check them out  (I live in Western Mass).
Always,  keep a tight line

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2010, 04:25 AM »
Go with the eskimo, those HT augers are junk, I used to work at dicks and they got returned all the time, weak welds and cheap metal.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2010, 04:40 AM »
I am not a fan of HT equip. Go w/ the Eskimo. Or a Strikemaster or Nils. Don't rely on Dick's sporting goods for the gear you need.   

Offline phins13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2010, 11:48 AM »
Try Ganby Bait,they should have some in stock. :tipup:

Offline frank_02019

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2010, 06:58 PM »
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info!  One more newbie question that I wonder about...is grinding out an 8 inch hole a lot more work than a 6 inch hole?  I know its a lot of work either way, but should I get the 6 inch auger, figuring that it will save some effort, or just go for the 8?   ???

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2010, 07:01 PM »
I have an Eskimo 6 inch and love it

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2010, 07:02 PM »
and its not a lot of work, I have blasted through 14 inches of ice in no time, 6in or 8in same thing

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2010, 07:10 PM »
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info!  One more newbie question that I wonder about...is grinding out an 8 inch hole a lot more work than a 6 inch hole?  I know its a lot of work either way, but should I get the 6 inch auger, figuring that it will save some effort, or just go for the 8?   ???

A 6 inch hole is about 28 square inches, but an 8 inch hole is about 50 square inches.  Lots of fish will fit through a 6 inch hole, but bigger fish will fit through an 8.  It all depends on what you're fishing for, really.  Keep your blades sharp (I make sure I can shave arm hair off when I sharpen mine) and start fishing when the ice is just thick enough to hold you on top of it and you'll get used to it as the ice gets thicker.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline treemanjb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2010, 07:25 PM »
12 inches is no sweat with my 8 inch Mora and easier with a 6. Good blades are key.  I have a 10 inch power and never use it. Way too much work to haul around.  Treemanjb

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2010, 08:07 PM »
I will give my opinion. Ht augers are junk. I have a 8" Eskimo 2 pc. hand auger. It is not junk, it may be good, but it is not great. I have a 8" Mora old with the blades from Sweden...it is much better...good maybe even great with brand new blades.

I have heard Nils is the best...someday I will own a 4.5" for trout fishing and backpacking.

Blades are the key...replacement blades are like $25 dollars...I have had no luck sharpening or honing blades but if anyone else has PLEASE CLUE ME IN!

I just spend 2 full days with the 8" eskimo drilling holes in 6" to 8" of crap ice...blade is done now...with each hole it gets harder to drill. Smaller holes are easier to drill.

I would say if money is tight...get a mora..baby the blades...the eskimo..is ok...perhaps the Mora blade quality has gone down though...mine is old...if you hand auger as much as I have been doing you will find yourself walking around looking for old holes to chisel out rather than drill. It sucks to be poor. If I ever get back on my feet I will buy a 4 stroke power auger and a Nils 4.5" with spare blades for each. That said I tested out my Jiffy Mille Lac chisel thing is perfect.
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2010, 03:34 AM »
You want a 6" blade. Less work equals more holes.   

Offline Iceman65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2010, 12:21 PM »
I own a Nils and prefer it over my gas auger! Cuts like Butter
4 years old

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.