Author Topic: advice on gloves?  (Read 7276 times)

Offline otiscohillbilly

• IceShanty Rookie
advice on gloves?
« on: Jan 13, 2010, 04:42 PM »
Does anyone have the perfect glove out there. I am looking for warmth and functionality! I usually use the fingerless, but this year my hands have really taken a beating from the cold.

Thanks,
Hillbilly

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: advice on gloves?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2010, 04:55 PM »
I wear my claw snowmobiling mitts to get to the fishing area and then just put on a cheap pair of insulated work gloves.

The Claw

And cheapo work gloves.
Buy a couple of pairs and your good to go.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Stallion-5LWP-WATERPROOF-Insulated/dp/B000UHCC3Q

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:03 PM »
My choice in gloves is Gore Windstopper fleece.  It is thin and allows excellent dexterity. It keeps my hands warm in all temperatures even when they are wet.  I have tried a few brands and the best I found is the Mountain Hardware Gravity Glove.  They are my every day winter glove. I get about 2 years from a pair.  They are a bit pricy at about $50 a pair. 

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:05 PM »
icearmor gloves warm waterproof and a pouch for Hot Hands pack toasty warm.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline swillerjig

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:09 PM »
I use frosty grip gloves they have rubberized palm and they are 5$ warm and excellent grip for taking fish off- and when your done for the day put a little snow or ice on them rub together and it gets rid of the fish smell.  They are very comfotable too.  I will try to post a pic later
Fishing is not a hobby it's a way of life!!!

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:09 PM »
Brown work gloves. You know the cheap ones. I also have ice armor gloves but they are to hot for me.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:10 PM »

I second that icearmor mittens hands done the warmest

Offline jsbz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:17 PM »
Thats odd because I think my ice armor gloves suck.  My fingers get cold after 15mins which makes me really mad cause I paid a good amount for them. >:(

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:23 PM »
original ice armor gloves SUCK!

that being said.  I have a ton of gloves and mittens but the following combo has worked the best for me no matter what the conditions are.  Granted I rarely wear the gloves,  But I used the blue frostee gloves mentioned above, and a pair of HEAVY duty lined mittens that are similar to welding gloves or fireplace mitts, the two pairs cost me about 10 dollars.  The mittens are nice because they are quick on and off, and double as knee pads when kneeling next to a hole during setup, cleanup or fighting a fish.

you can also put heat packs inside of them for REALLY cold days.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:28 PM »
My Eskimo mittens are the best I've found for when I have to wear gloves ice fishing.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline db1561

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My weekend home!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:55 PM »
What ever you do do NOT get the Arctic Armor gloves!!  They suck!!

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2010, 06:02 PM »
I like cabelas elk skin chopper mitts...can throw em off fast....last forever...warm...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2010, 06:44 PM »
ice armor mitts...AWESOME!!

Offline Scotty D

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2010, 08:14 PM »
anything with gortex or thinsulate.   I got a a pair of ice armor gloves for christmas and the palm tore the first time out. needless to say im not happy with them.
just five more minutes!!! i swear there is one chasing that shiner right now!

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2010, 08:17 PM »
Plain ol leather chopper mitts.

Offline FishinJenn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ME! :)
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2010, 08:46 PM »
I wear mechanics gloves w/ wool cut off gloves over them. i spend most of the day bare handed. I keep a pair of fleece gloves in the shanty in case my hands get real cold.
Kids who hunt, fish and trap...dont mug little old ladies.

<span style='display:block !important; width: 170px; text-align: center; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 12px;'><a

Offline Red Suited Iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2010, 09:37 PM »
 On the ice i wear a pair of the plain Mechanix Gloves.  they are easy and fast to get on and off.  i wear them for everything, i must own at least 5 pairs.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2010, 09:49 PM »
The original Ice Armor gloves didn't impress me entirely. They were fine unless it got below 20 degrees, then my hands would get cold at times, or not warm up after a fish.
The Ice Armor gloves with the zipper pockets are the Extreme version. They are a gauntlet style glove. I own a pair, but have never used them yet. They seem overkill for most general ice uses. They're probably perfect for the quad ride out.

This year I bought a pair of SnoSuit gloves (a smaller gauntlet style than the IA Extreme), and they got their first ice trials this past weekend. It was 3 degrees and quite windy (about as bad as it gets in CT) when we started, and my hands stayed warm all morning.

Other than that, I use some cheapie poly fleece fingerless gloves when it isn't too cold.

I did used to wear Mechanix gloves too. Wore out the ones I had though. They handle fish well, and when wet, I'd swap them out for a fresh pair while the other ones dried out.

Offline UpNorth -21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "FISH ON"
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2010, 09:56 PM »
I agree with the some of the other posts original ice armors BLOW they arent worth the garbage there made of mine lasted about two weeks and had holes all over not worth $30. Im tough on gloves when im fishing but my favorite for setting up is a pair of hodgman neoprenes waterproof and warm and very durable.
"Catch And Release into the Grease"

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:05 PM »
love them

Offline troutaddict33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:09 PM »
i like the wool mittes with cut off fingers. the ones where the mitten top flips back. These are the only loves i can actually jig with. Hands get cold, put the lap over my fingers. Best part is, even when wool is wet it will keep you warm

Offline cccc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:48 PM »
I got a pair of work gloves that are waterproof and insulated. They work well for the in terms of dexterity even with gloves on, and keep me pretty warm.

Only problem is that if it's too cold outside and my gloves are wet, they freeze solid!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2010, 12:47 AM »
get some gortex insulated shooting/hunting gloves...they have the maximum dexterity.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline timbobber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:57 AM »
rag wool fingerless gloves covered by leather, fleece lined chopper mitts

Offline jkoegel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:05 AM »
Bought a pair of fleece gloves at Walmart that have a flip open thumbs and a mitten cover on the other 4 fingers. Never have to take them off and they are super warm.

Offline Lost Kangaroo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:54 AM »
Flop top hunting mittens..about $8 at Gander...fingers are free for jigging and set up....when it's cold, flop the top back on.

Offline CJW

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2010, 10:13 AM »
Unless I'm jigging, I say F*** gloves.  Even then, my jigging hand has a gortex and thinsulate glove, the other has a light weight cotton glove inside the muff I wear around my waist.  When I'm not jigging, the same cotton gloves, inside my muff, with a hot hands if I feel like it. 

If you're dead set on getting something, get some good mittens.  10x warmer than gloves.

FWIW

Offline joejamiejop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2010, 11:29 AM »
Just to set the record straight! Ice Armor Gloves are awesome, I have the regular glove, have used them for a few years now. They are 100% waterproof, warm as any glove that I have ever owned. Easy on off. The only somewhat questionable thing is the durability. If taken care of you can get at least one good season out of them, maybe two at the most. Mine last one season before the crease by my thumb ripped open. I resolved this issue by buying one size bigger. That allows maximum movement. I have used these gloves for fishing, snowmobiling, shoveling, snowblowing, and general use during the winter. Never going to buy another kind!
Joe
Thank God for Ice!

Offline Iceman421

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2010, 01:51 PM »
love them

Ditto. A little bulky for jigging but great for walking out and just for a quick warm up when you get cold.

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2010, 01:58 PM »
I use Flop top hunting mittens with a Magnet.I found them at Wal-mart and on the top side I put toe warmers with stickum the toe warmers I got at Costco, and warmers don't fall out and I put them in folding top they stay warm and when I want to reel, I just flick my wrist back and the magnet holds them open they work out great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.