The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: using worms and crawlers on tip-ups??  (Read 4284 times)

Offline TOMMYPOINT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing
using worms and crawlers on tip-ups??
« on: Jan 11, 2010, 09:49 AM »
Does or has anyone used worm or crawlers on tip-ups? I have read that some fish hit them better than the typical shinners and such. Just wondering if anyone has used them and what you have experianced.

Offline zmeans9

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: using worms and crawlers on tip-ups??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2010, 09:55 AM »
I only fish for salmonids so I use them for brookies...but nothing else.  They work well and I would say that our catch rate is about 50/50 live bait vs. worms.  However, the major difference I have noticed is your hookup ratio.  We hook up many more fish on worms than live bait.  Once they get that feel/taste in their mouths, they generally won't let go.  Even if they do, they will typically come back.  I recommend dillies (which are a smaller crawler).  My other thought is that the worms do not put the vibration in the water like a live bait would.  This means that you have to be fishing them in a place that has many fish per acre.  I am sure you could catch perch, crappie and other fish using them as well.

Offline holden222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2010, 09:57 AM »
I was curious about this too. I was at Cabela's when they were feeding the fish in the tank up in the back of the fishing section. They dropped in about half a dozen shiners and the fish almost didn't care that they were even in there. Later on the dropped a worm and it was a struggle between 6 or 7 fish to see who was going to get the bait. Which made me wonder if ice fishing with worms/crawlers would work?
"It's not like a movie or a wedding when showing up late is no big deal...Icefishing is much more important." -superpole-

Offline TOMMYPOINT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2010, 10:02 AM »
I heard that Rainbows like worms better for what ever reason thats why I was thinking of trying. We have been catching them lately on shinners, but wanted to try other tactics.

Offline MEbearhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2010, 10:58 AM »
Ive used worms on brookies and white perch on certain lakes and had good luck with them.

Offline zmeans9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2010, 11:00 AM »
I would imagine that worms would work for rainbows too.  I doubt you would have much success with Browns/Salmon.  Also, you need to keep in mind that for those fish in the tank, they are conditioned to respond to those worms.  It would be similar to the fish at Beans (which go crazy for pellets)...they know when/what they are being fed.  Also, for fish in Cabelas, a worm is a lot easier meal than a shiner.

Offline ***WaterWolf***

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2010, 11:02 AM »
I almost exclusively use worms on rainbows. 

Offline holden222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2010, 11:14 AM »
I would imagine that worms would work for rainbows too.  I doubt you would have much success with Browns/Salmon.  Also, you need to keep in mind that for those fish in the tank, they are conditioned to respond to those worms.  It would be similar to the fish at Beans (which go crazy for pellets)...they know when/what they are being fed.  Also, for fish in Cabelas, a worm is a lot easier meal than a shiner.

Totally agree not saying that should sway your vote, just throwing out what I witnessed. Take it for what its worth I guess haha
"It's not like a movie or a wedding when showing up late is no big deal...Icefishing is much more important." -superpole-

Offline DaddyX2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2010, 05:30 PM »
here's another question....are worms still easy to find at bait shops?, and if you do, how do u keep them from freezin on the ice?...keep them out of the plastic container in your pocket? ???

Offline Icebound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2010, 05:37 PM »
No not hard to find worms at all. Walmart, bait shops, small store near the pond. I use Bait Pucks to keep them in while I'm on the ice....

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2010, 05:42 PM »
I would imagine that worms would work for rainbows too.  I doubt you would have much success with Browns/Salmon. 

My biggest brown yet was taken with a worm on a swedish pimple through the ice.  I was jigging for white perch and the drag started screaming.

Offline DaddyX2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2010, 05:47 PM »
No not hard to find worms at all. Walmart, bait shops, small store near the pond. I use Bait Pucks to keep them in while I'm on the ice....
well since usin old chew can's would be cheaper ill probably just use that, thanks tho

Offline turtlebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2010, 05:51 PM »
Just think if you don't catch anything you can still eat the worms
take a kid fishing

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2010, 05:53 PM »
mmmm worms......
It's all about Karma.....

Offline Icebound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2010, 06:26 PM »
well since usin old chew can's would be cheaper ill probably just use that, thanks tho

Absolutely! Fish love Copenhagen.... Gives them a head buzz.. ;)2 :icefish:

Offline DaddyX2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2010, 06:34 PM »
with any luck i can find me some more cope whiskey blend...seems to just have dried up in the area for some reason?

Offline toguebuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tomorrow is a another day!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2010, 07:38 PM »
I took a 5.5 lb salmon on Square pond in the county using a nightcrawler.fished 1 foot under the ice in 20 ft of water..caught numerous others too . You dont always have to set them in the gravel  ;)
We do not own this land ......We are just borrowing it from our children!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline togue master

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2010, 07:58 PM »
i have caught every trout species in maine on crawlers . my friend uses them everytime he fishes for trout . i went fishing for rainbows and browns this past sonday. i was using shiners only . i got outfished badley by people using crawlers . they do work very well on trout. especialy on a jig head with a long tail. trout cant resist it . i caought 7 brookies and 2 togue jigging with a crawler. try it you will be hooked.

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2010, 05:08 AM »
Worms are awesome. I use about 50/50. To keep them from freezing I put them in a little softside cooler like you would bring your lunch to work in. Never had them freeze. During the day they go in a pocket as I tend traps. Caught all species of trout and salmon through the ice on them but they really shine on brookies. As was said they tend to hold on to them when they will just slash a shiner or smelt. Give them a try.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Mainehunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:31 PM »
A few of us were up off the N/W corner of Baxter park last year. The crawlers were the only bait that consistently caught the Brookies.

Every Brown trout that I have ever caught ice fishing was with worms on a tip-up.

Kev

Offline TOMMYPOINT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2010, 02:10 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. I am going tommorow. I will try the crawlers on a tip up and see how it goes.

Offline joeybouch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2010, 02:20 PM »
go get em tomorrow guy

Offline joeybouch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2010, 03:42 PM »
hope you catch a couple bows

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:03 PM »
here's another question....are worms still easy to find at bait shops?, and if you do, how do u keep them from freezin on the ice?...keep them out of the plastic container in your pocket? ???
pop a few between your cheek and gum.................
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline DaddyX2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:05 PM »
is there a paticular set up that works better with using worms, ie. shorter leaders?...a bobber holding up the extra line right next to the trap so it looks less conspicuous? thanks for the help guys

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:01 PM »
I just use a small splitshot about a foot or so up and drop the worm right below the ice about a foot. I double hook (#8) the worm; once thru the head and again an inch down; let the rest hang. Works for me. Good luck tomorrow.

Offline DaddyX2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:05 PM »
pop a few between your cheek and gum.................
thanks hazzy,...maybe i shouldnt put them in old chew cans...i might get the cans mixed up haha

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2010, 07:04 PM »
I just use a small splitshot about a foot or so up and drop the worm right below the ice about a foot. I double hook (#8) the worm; once thru the head and again an inch down; let the rest hang. Works for me. Good luck tomorrow.

Thanks for the pointers JimP.

Offline blueFLAG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2010, 07:28 PM »
my uncle uses them but never seen him catch anything on them. people say brookies dont have a very big mouth and wont always eat a shiner. last year i cought an 8 inch brookie on a 4 inch shiner. they will eat them if there hungry. my guess would be there a good change up to a lake heavily fished with shiners. good luck  :tipup:

Offline kevinmaine3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2010, 05:26 PM »
Im heading out to a 2 traper pond and im planning to jig one hole with a worm for brookies, ill let you know how i do.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.