Author Topic: Standard 2 stroke oil vs synthetic oil ratios  (Read 21657 times)

Offline 63110

• IceShanty Rookie
Standard 2 stroke oil vs synthetic oil ratios
« on: Jan 04, 2010, 02:19 AM »
Hey guys I have been reading some posts on oil/fuel ratio's.  I have some questions for you all.  I have a Strike Master Lazer Mag that calls for a 40:1 ratio in the owners manual.  I have read some guys are using synthetics and having good luck (less smoke/running better).  Is the oil/fuel ratio different with the syn oil or would I still mix it 40:1?  Live in a smaller town have a NAPA and O'Riley's do you think they would carry the syn oil or do I need to order it online (kind of a pain if I do might just stay with the standard then).

thanks for the help

Offline splake0

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Standard 2 stroke oil vs synthetic oil ratios
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2010, 02:27 AM »
Do a search "synthetic oil" there are numerous posts on this subject

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2010, 03:24 AM »
The word is that you can run Amsoil Saber at any ratio up to 100:1 in any 2 stroke.
I'm still a little nervous about that, but there are people who say they have been doing it for years.

Offline 63110

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2010, 04:40 AM »
Wow 100:1 huh?  Seems a little risky to me.  What do you think would be average 60 or 70 to 1?

timberdoodle

« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2010, 04:44 AM »
I have been running Amsoil Saber Pro at 100:1 in my auger, chainsaw, brushsaw, and I run Amsoil Saber Outboard in my Johnson motor at 100:1, with no adverse affects. I trust Amsoil and what they say. I see this same topics on here all the time. Call Amsoil and ask one of their techs. I'll stop using it the way they prescribe when I launch a motor.

Offline 63110

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2010, 04:58 AM »
Timber where do you find it?  Have a Farm and Home, NAPA, and O'Rileys here in town.  Any of them stock it? 

Offline mobey3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • clinging to my guns and religion...and fish!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2010, 05:45 AM »
I ordered mine from the amsoil web site.  Give those guys a call or e-mail them, they are nice people.  From reading the older posts, I switched to amsoil for this year and have it at 75:1 ratio.  Testing it in the fall, it ran very well with a lot less smoke.  I haven't been out fishing yet this year but if I have problems with it I will post it.

timberdoodle

« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2010, 06:05 AM »
Timber where do you find it?  Have a Farm and Home, NAPA, and O'Rileys here in town.  Any of them stock it? 
I stock it my own bait shop...I don't know of any place that might stock it in your area. I don't think any of the chain stores have it. You might want to call the small engine places in your area, they will probably know or the dirtbike/atv shops.

Offline bluegillbasher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2010, 06:47 AM »
I just bought a lazer mag express with the new solo engine and the instruction manual specifically says not to use synthetic oil?

timberdoodle

« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2010, 06:59 AM »
I just bought a lazer mag express with the new solo engine and the instruction manual specifically says not to use synthetic oil?
There is a topic somewhere on that.... I think you will find that they have printed a new bulletin that states you can use synthetic, after you break it in. If it were me I would break it in like the manual says then switch to synthetic. Just my 2 cents.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2010, 07:45 AM »
The definitive word from SM is that any good quality synthetic oil can be used, but not mixed at ratios greater than 50:1.

This appears on SM's website in the FAQ section.

Q: CAN I USE SYNTHETIC OILS IN MY SOLO AUGER?
A: Quality two cycle oils (Regular or Synthetic) are approved for use in the Solo engine.
Mixture ratio MUST NOT exceed 50:1
Mixture ratios over 50:1 will VOID all warranties.

DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:35 AM »
All of the motors have cylinder bores and rings that require non synthetic oils to break in and seat properly. Most will be OK after they have some hours (whole season) on them. Run it the first season with the factory oil at the factory reccomended ratio. Why would you worry about ratios at less than the manufacture suggests? Oil is cheap. But use the best oil. Pennzoil blend is a great oil after you have some hours at the reccomended ratio. If the smoke is an issue get a 4 stroke or electric. Your 2 stroke needs the oil.
Bruster

Online ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2010, 09:13 AM »
All of the motors have cylinder bores and rings that require non synthetic oils to break in and seat properly. Most will be OK after they have some hours (whole season) on them. Run it the first season with the factory oil at the factory reccomended ratio. Why would you worry about ratios at less than the manufacture suggests? Oil is cheap. But use the best oil. Pennzoil blend is a great oil after you have some hours at the reccomended ratio. If the smoke is an issue get a 4 stroke or electric. Your 2 stroke needs the oil.
I just bought a new Stihl product and asked about using synthetic oil in it. The guy told me that Stihl recommends synthetic oil mixed 50:1 from the first time it gets started and gave me a bottle of Stihl synthetic to mix with my first gallon of gas. They will break in with synthetic oil, but it takes longer and I have the time. All my other two strokes run on Amsoil Saber Professional mixed 80:1 and my new Stihl will be next year.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2010, 09:23 AM »
One word of caution.....Once you use sythetic stay with it. Synthetic oil actualy builds up a film on bearings/linings this is a good thing. THE BAD....regular oil does not penetrate this film and therefore will not be able to lubricate properly. FRICTION = FAILURE. 50/50 chance if you switch back. Your money! Just a word of caution. :whistle:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Online ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2010, 09:31 AM »
I guess I would be hard pressed to come up with a reason to switch back to dino oil other than liking blue smoke. Of course in some areas synthetic may be hard to come by, but it can be bought online and shipped.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2010, 09:40 AM »
Will you back that up with some reputable data? I've been around 2 strokes all my life and that's the first time I've seen this claim and I think it's pure B.S.

One word of caution.....Once you use sythetic stay with it. Synthetic oil actualy builds up a film on bearings/linings this is a good thing. THE BAD....regular oil does not penetrate this film and therefore will not be able to lubricate properly. FRICTION = FAILURE. 50/50 chance if you switch back. Your money! Just a word of caution. :whistle:
Bruster

Offline saranacjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2010, 09:53 AM »
hey 63110 if you have a napa try asking them to order royal purple 2 stroke oil. I've been using for the past two years and never had a problem. Auger starts on the coldest of days.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2010, 09:59 AM »

I also bought a SM with the Solo motor and emailed Strikemaster about using synthetic oil and they said you can use it just no leaner than 50:1   They said the manual was printed before they had time to do proper testing with synthetics.  They also said no break in period with regular oil is needed so I went with synthetic right away. 

I never heard of synthetic oil putting a coating on metal that regular oil cannot penetrate.  If so there would be a lot of cars/trucks with blown motors.

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:22 AM »
Will you back that up with some reputable data? I've been around 2 strokes all my life and that's the first time I've seen this claim and I think it's pure B.S.

Check several oil sites for properties/physics of synthetic oil. That should give some insite as to how it works. It's a good thing by far. Just a word of caution that was all. Yes oil will penetrate, but not always enough. BINGO! Have motors in junk pile that's why I posted. Money tight for some. Here synthetic $8 + a qt. versus reg. oil $2 and change qt. We consume  quite a bit here. and after problems looked into it hard. It would take alot of running in a small engine (probably) to do damage. But some one may apply this info to vehicles also. And any damage then is expensive. (Just a chance) 40 plus years at engines myself and still learning.              :) Smoke = rich mix/bad rings.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:34 AM »
You're backpeddeling now. You are not spreading a word of cauton, it's a word of panic. What I asked was show the world something published that backs up what you say. I have NEVER read anything that says not to back to standard oil after using synthetic. How does the next guy know if you have ran synthetic in your snowmobile, outboard, auger, chainsaw or whatever when it gets traded in or sold? Why does synthetic blend oil work?

Check several oil sites for properties/physics of synthetic oil. That should give some insite as to how it works. It's a good thing by far. Just a word of caution that was all. Yes oil will penetrate, but not always enough. BINGO! Have motors in junk pile that's why I posted. Money tight for some. Here synthetic $8 + a qt. versus reg. oil $2 and change qt. We consume  quite a bit here. and after problems looked into it hard. It would take alot of running in a small engine (probably) to do damage. But some one may apply this info to vehicles also. And any damage then is expensive. (Just a chance) 40 plus years at engines myself and still learning.              :) Smoke = rich mix/bad rings.
Bruster

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:49 AM »
Go to Amsoils website and do a search for a dealer in your area. I use the Amsoil Sabre mixed at 70:1. You could mix the Sabre at 40:1 and you won't hurt anything you can just go leaner. The full synthetic burns a lot cleaner than stright dino and the synthetic blends so you get less smoke and more importantly less carbon buildup.

Offline kerrobertkid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2010, 11:20 AM »
jiffy oil work in a strikemaster?

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2010, 11:53 AM »
You're backpeddeling now. You are not spreading a word of cauton, it's a word of panic. What I asked was show the world something published that backs up what you say. I have NEVER read anything that says not to back to standard oil after using synthetic. How does the next guy know if you have ran synthetic in your snowmobile, outboard, auger, chainsaw or whatever when it gets traded in or sold? Why does synthetic blend oil work?

Check several as stated, pick a name- shell,mobil,gulf,pennzoil,Synthetics Etc. Synthetics by far, as I already agreed. And it does SUCK for the next guy unless it gets past on. Goodluck with that. ie: engines in pile. Due to cost, some may try to save on oil changes in these times and may not know some of these things. I did not say "will", nor do they. I'm Not here to convince, just answering a question from what's been learned/experienced/$ in my life. Thought that's what IceShanty was about?. Happenings/experiences of all of the outdoor community here.  

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2010, 02:58 PM »
You need to go to any of the synthetic oil companys web sites and read. There is no where it says anything about going back and forth between synthetic and dyno oils. If it was an issue there would be warnings. This is what Iceshanty is about, helping others with good real information.

Check several as stated, pick a name- shell,mobil,gulf,pennzoil,Synthetics Etc. Synthetics by far, as I already agreed. And it does SUCK for the next guy unless it gets past on. Goodluck with that. ie: engines in pile. Due to cost, some may try to save on oil changes in these times and may not know some of these things. I did not say "will", nor do they. I'm Not here to convince, just answering a question from what's been learned/experienced/$ in my life. Thought that's what IceShanty was about?. Happenings/experiences of all of the outdoor community here.  
Bruster

Offline splake0

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2010, 05:02 PM »
I emailed Amsoil and asked  "I just bought a Jiffy 2 stroke ice auger. It calls for 40:1 fuel/oil mixture. If I use amsoil professional 100:1, do I mix it 100;1 or 40:1?"

The following is there reply:

AMSOIL Saber Professional can be used at the 100:1 mix ratio, regardless of the OEM recommended mix ratio. This is one of the advantages of this product. You don’t need a different gas can for each different OEM mix ratio. One can serves all pre mixed engines.

Thank you for this opportunity to respond to your question(s). As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/2-cycle-oil-synthetic-saber.php

Best Regards,
Vijay Parany
Direct Phone: 1-416-894-2480
Toll Free Fax: 1-888-776-5369
www.worldsbestoil.ca

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2010, 05:32 PM »
You need to go to any of the synthetic oil companys web sites and read. There is no where it says anything about going back and forth between synthetic and dyno oils. If it was an issue there would be warnings. This is what Iceshanty is about, helping others with good real information.

Lets keep it simple. Go to    Ask.com   type in the question...is it harmful to mix regular motor oil with sythetics. Synthetics are great as was agreed to earlier. Just a word of CAUTION in changing back, before someone tries to save some coin. Good subject though. And yes, no one said "will" only "can". Trying to pass on some info. and experience. That's why we're here right.      Was just trying to help others.

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2010, 09:21 PM »
It may be OK to run @100:1 but.... if for any reason you have any problem that the manufacture says is oil related, the manufacture will likely not honor any warranty. They said run @ 50:1, 40:1 or whatever. Now will Amsoil honor that warranty? With an ice auger it really don't make much differance, another motor is only a couple hundred bucks. Now a 250 HP outboard, that's a whole new ballgame just to prove what? Someone made the point it only costs maybe $4 per year for auger fuel and oil. Even if it costs $10 what is the risk/reward?

I emailed Amsoil and asked  "I just bought a Jiffy 2 stroke ice auger. It calls for 40:1 fuel/oil mixture. If I use amsoil professional 100:1, do I mix it 100;1 or 40:1?"

The following is there reply:

AMSOIL Saber Professional can be used at the 100:1 mix ratio, regardless of the OEM recommended mix ratio. This is one of the advantages of this product. You don’t need a different gas can for each different OEM mix ratio. One can serves all pre mixed engines.

Thank you for this opportunity to respond to your question(s). As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/2-cycle-oil-synthetic-saber.php

Best Regards,
Vijay Parany
Direct Phone: 1-416-894-2480
Toll Free Fax: 1-888-776-5369
www.worldsbestoil.ca

Bruster

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2010, 09:38 PM »
When I e mailed Nils about this when I broke my Tanaka in they told me  up to 50-1 break in after that no warrenty issues at up to 100-1 if using Amsoil Saber. This was from Nils not Amsoil.

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:02 PM »
It could be, however I am not aware of any major 2 stroke manufacture BRP, Mercury Yamaha stating 100:1 is OK with Saber. If it says so in your manual I would say OK, otherwise I would follow to the letter what the manual states. Again what is the risk/reward of this oil??

When I e mailed Nils about this when I broke my Tanaka in they told me  up to 50-1 break in after that no warrenty issues at up to 100-1 if using Amsoil Saber. This was from Nils not Amsoil.
Bruster

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:11 PM »
Saber isn't for outboards thats a whole different blend of oil.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.