Author Topic: Grizzly 700 or Rincon??  (Read 7385 times)

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Grizzly 700 or Rincon??
« on: Jan 03, 2010, 01:40 PM »
Finally going to pick up an ATV in the coming months and I still can't decide which one.  I've read all I can and still can't come to a solid decision so I am asking you all.

Offline Dennis53

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Grizzly 700 or Rincon??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2010, 02:10 PM »
I have a Honda Rincon, great machine no issues, taken it hunting, ice fishing  good power good suspension. My cousin has the Grizzly and I have to say its great also just depends on what you like. Good luck with either machine.

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2010, 06:56 AM »
I am gonna stay unbiased here.....Whats the price difference? Warranty is everything these days, which one has the better, it may cost a little more but it will be covered. How are the dealerships? Do either have an extra seat for a rider? Would you be taking a second person? I am not sure what size engine the Rincon is, but 500 cc's is all you really need and 4x4 too. If one is cheaper go with that and spend the extra money to trick your quad out. Winch, plow, windsheild, cover, your gonna need some type of auger rack, etc... Guys are gonna chime is saying buy only honda or buy only the grizzly or buy this or buy that. Every product is gonna have it's flaws or problems, you may or may not get those problems or may get new problems.

I personally looked only at Polaris when I bought mine, dealer is 2 miles away. Not trying to pursuade you at all, this was just my thinking. Yamaha and Honda are within 10 miles. But Polaris had the best idea going for them at the time.... it's like a utv set up on a atv, I have a dump box that converts into a second seat for a rider that is legal here in Michigan. I am legal on the atv trails and can haul 400 lbs of crap without needing a trailer. I bought a 2008 model zero miles in 2009 and saved a bunch that way.

Either way you go, you will be happy with it. Good luck

Offline MACHINIST

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2010, 01:26 PM »
I have had a Rincon,Rubicon and a brute force which I have now.I will say that the only reason I sold the Rincon was because it didn't have a low range in it.I have never really had a problem with it being underpowered but I never got it in really deep mud or a heavy load situation.I like my Brute Force a lot but the minute that Honda comes out with a Rincon with a low range I will go back to a Honda.Just do yourself  favor and get EFI it is worth the few extra bucks.I didn't with the Brute force and regret it all the time.My Rincon would start after a turn or two of the engine no matter how long it sat.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2010, 10:02 PM »
I have been leaning towards a Grizzly for about a month, hearing endless complaints about the lack of a low end on the the Rincon started this all, I was all but sold on a Rincon a few months back.   ( I am deployed so I have about 45-50 days before I will actually be able to make my purchase. ) I have experience with several different Rincon's and none with the Grizzly.

Now I am finding brand new 09 Rincons for 7300$, if that deal still exist when I get back to the states, I will be owning one for sure.

I already have a fairly good deal for new tires, winch, front bumper, and skids.. I just need to find the auger rack and a bucket rack, which if I can find a place to work, I will build myself.

(Also, I think I will check out the Rubicons 499ccs, I have heard over and over I do not need a 675cc engine)

Offline MACHINIST

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:16 AM »
It all depends on what your main use of the machine is going to be.If it is just going to be a fishing and hunting rig that doesn't see much trail riding then you will be hard pressed to find a better wheeler than the Rubicon.I have thought a lot of getting rid of my brute force for one but when I trail ride its really nice to whoop it up with the bigger machine.My Rubicon was a tank and super reliable.Go to rubiconriders.com they have a on of info for you there is also rinconriders.com for the rinny.Personally I have never really liked the Yamaha's at all no real reason just never warmed up to them.If it were me I would look real hard at the Honda's,Kawasaki's and Suzuki's.You may want to look at the used quads before buying new you can save a ton of cash.That how I buy all of mine.You always see people that have either bought one and didn't use it or bought what they didn't want and are selling it to get the next greatest thing,just a thought.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2010, 09:53 PM »
I am not opposed to buying a used machine, I browse craiglist and a few other sites, but purchase time is a little far off to be looking seriously at used machines.

My wheeler will probably do more trail riding than hunting, I don't do much hunting and when I do it's usually pheasant hunting in Iowa or South Dakota, not much use for one in that situation.  The only reason I am making the purchase is ice fishing but I plan on having a lot of fun on it in the summer months when open water fishing gets a little slow.  I foresee myself getting into a lot of trail riding, I already have a trip planned with friends to the Black Hills in May.  All of the guys I am riding with then, ride Rincon. 

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2010, 10:30 AM »
Hey henrychinaski,

Thanks for your service... I hope your last few monthes go by quickly. Planning a purchase when you get home certainly takes your mind off the day in/day out crap you are going through.

I just got a 2008 Grizzly for Christmas. My wife found an absolute steal on Craigslist. Their are good deals out there on pampered machines; if you get lucky.

Good luck, and happy shopping!!!

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2010, 02:39 PM »
I too just picked up a 700 Grizzly EPS FI, primarily for getting on and off the ice.  I've been happy so far and have gone through some decent snow and slush.  I have to store it in the yard but it's covered.  So, I hooked up a battery tender just to make sure that I start each day with a full charge...I don't want to have to walk off the ice due to cold clobbered battery, especially now that I'm going to be stretching out and covering a bit more terrain than I had when I was dragging everything.  I'm still working out the rigging (only have an auger carrier on at this point) but storage boxes will have to wait until next year. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Tricounty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2010, 06:25 PM »
henrychinaski, good luck over there.
as for the wheeler go with the power steering, which I think is only the grizzely.
Just my 2 cents.

Good Fishin
Looks like Chuck is taking the skinny boat to tuna town. "Pops"

Offline FishHacker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "FLAG UP"
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2010, 06:34 PM »
Deffinately the Grizzly. I owned a 2003- 660  bought it brand new and never had a problem going anywhere.
Good resale too I paid 7200 special camo series and sold it last year for 4900. Now going to try to find another i

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2010, 06:44 PM »
I have an 02 Grizzly 660.  Never had problems with it.  I changed the spark plug once, just because I thought it was a good idea, not because it actually needed it.  My son is a motorcycle mechanic so a month or so ago I had him go through it as preventative maintanence.  He put on a new belt, front brakes, and new c-v boot which needed replacing, changed the plug (third plug), changed all the fluids, gapped the valves, etc.  I had almost 4000 miles and over 500 hours on the machine when he went through it.  It still has the original battery!  So far it has never let me down.  I put tracks on it 2 winters ago and it will go places!  Whichever you decide, Honda or Yahama.....they are both bullet proof.
Mike
P.S. Oh yeah, I did have to replace a headlight bulb one time.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2010, 10:46 PM »
Thanks guys, for your help and your support.  I really think I am going to have to get on a Grizzly when I get back and see how it feels.  It's impossible coming to any sort of decision reading reviews and specs.

Offline MACHINIST

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2010, 11:00 AM »
Either the grizzly or the rincon will suit you just fine then.Just make sure that its EFI.I didn't and am considering selling my brute and getting another that is EFI just because of the easier starts in the winter.One more thing to consider is what models have a recoil backup. would have been dead in the water if I didn't have one yesterday.You might want to check out the brute force and a can am also.I have the brute and I love it and I have heard good thins about the can am also.The only worry is getting either one of those machines that haven't been beat to $()!

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2010, 04:57 PM »
My best advise is get a polaris sportsman ;) A little heavy but great machine's. If you have your heart set on a grizzly or Rincon get the Grizzly. I have a 2002 with over 8000 miles,only ever had routine maintenance.I have ridden a 2009 Grizzly with the power steering and was impressed with the bike overall.Maybe felt a little top heavy compared to the polaris i usually ride. I never had a honda but I think the ride of the yamaha and polaris far exceed what honda has. 

Offline freaknasty7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:39 PM »
i've got an '08 grizzly 700 fi eps. since i have had the machine i have yet to get stuck in any type of terrain whether it be snow, mud anything. it is an all around great machine. very few problems and little maintanence. even if you dont buy a griz, may i suggest to you that you do however, get an atv with power steering. it is the cats pj's

Offline fingerlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If It Smells Good---> EAT IT !! !!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:44 AM »
10 year grizzly owner...drove 1st one for 8 years--got an excellent trade in price and bought an 08 700efi.  Nothing more than basic maintenance on either machine.  Drove my 2000 grizzly 600 nearly 5000 miles.   hunting, snowplowing, firewood hauling, ice fishing etc etc etc....very confident in Yamaha!!

Offline hkdup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:36 PM »

Thanks for serving this great country i have a 09 honda 420 rancher with ps and auto trans plus a o9 brute force both efi machines both r great in there own way i tend to ride the honda more probly because it's quicker to get on and more nimble both start good in severe cold and ride like caddies come home safe and buy what ya like :thumbsup:

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2010, 10:52 PM »
Because of a good deal, it's looking more and more like I may be purchasing a 09 Grizzly 550 FI EPS.

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2010, 07:06 AM »
Good choice.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2010, 09:10 AM »
the grizz is a good choice.....The honda doesnt have true 4 wheel drive. Its a huge set back in my eyes.
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline tmorway

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2010, 08:13 PM »
I've got a 2007 Griz FI with EPS.   Its steady, never gets stuck and has a very high ground clearance.  It also had front & rear independent suspension.  Between the power steering and indy suspension with its overall power and reliability ..  I'd recommend the Grizzly... its a beast.

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2010, 09:36 PM »
I have a 07 Grizz 700 EPS FI and I really like it. I use it for ice fishing, I have a 5 foot snowplow for it and use it to dig up food plots and haul firewood. It starts when it's 20 below zero has all the power you'll ever need. I put a set of wheels and 25" ITP Mudlites on it and it will go really well through some deep snow. I  don't know if they offer it from the factory yet , but heated grips and thumbwarmers are a great add on. I put a Moose kit on mine last year and I'm real happy with it. The Yamaha push button diff lock works flawlessly and with the power steering you can steer one handed.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2010, 01:24 AM »
I found a brand new 08 700 non eps for 7k, might look into that one, see if I can't get a winch or something tossed in.  Not finding a lot of new ones that dealers are willing to drop much on.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2010, 12:33 AM »
It's official, I bought a 09 550 Grizzly EFI.  Now time for Ricochet skids, a viper 300 max and a nice set of tires.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2010, 09:33 PM »
Good buy!

I bought my 700 kawasaki praire in 07. It was a brand new 05 still in the box. 5100 bucks and after taxes and a winch I have 6100 bucks into a 700 cc 4x4! couldnt pass it up....It really doesnt matter what brand we are all just alittle biased. ;D...its just like outboards, trucks, ect they are all good its jsut personal preferences.....Good Luck and enjoy the new machine!
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.