Author Topic: mr heater buddy propain?????  (Read 2516 times)

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
mr heater buddy propain?????
« on: Jan 02, 2010, 01:58 PM »
just bought the buddy the other day and stayed warm for about 2and a half hours then it ran out of gas. it was a brand new can of propain. just wonderin if that was about right? if so i would need like 10 cans to get me through a day!!!! so how long can you get out of your heaters????? thanks and tight lines!!! :)

Offline Mr. gill

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: mr heater buddy propain?????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2010, 02:15 PM »
I think alot of guys buy the hose that goes to them and use a grill tank.My big buddy heater uses gas fast and that is what I am going to get it beats buying 1lb bottles of propane all the time.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2010, 02:52 PM »
Do you have the Big Buddy or the Std. one? I have the standard sizeone and it lasted me all day. But I would turn it off and on. I had a Shappell 3000DX and it
would roast you out. I couldn't leave it on. The other thing is if you had it on high or low? I also think if the propane sit on a shelf for along time it might lose some of
its punch. I don't know I am just guessing.I am just a laid off welder not a propane
expert.
Greg
Fish on!

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2010, 02:56 PM »
I run my Big Buddy on low and lasts all day 6-8 hrs. I just bought the hose and filter though so I can hook into a 20 lber. It's a lot more economical.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline Millsy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2010, 03:09 PM »
I find the 1lb cyl's will freeze up when used on high and it cold out. If the bottle defrost it should provide more heat. I would get about 5 maybe 6 hours from mine.
I have now switched to a refillable 5lb cyl. and it is great.

Offline littled62

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 219-670-9620
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2010, 05:08 PM »
we have the small one's and on low we get 6-8 hours depends on how much it is one,  today it was 9 deg out so the wife keep hers on all the time and opened the door some and didn't use a whole tank in 4 hrs, have had the tanks leak out because they didn't seat good for some reason, put a full one on, go to use it and it's empty, so now I make sure they are good and tight and I don't put them on untill I'm on the ice

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2010, 05:17 PM »
std buddy and a 1# tank is good on high for about 6 hrs..i run mine on hi all day so its like fishing in a sauna..
sounds like a bad seal up or just a bad tank...
used it last year in the ice storm on a 20# tank for days and saved the plumbing!!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline JP-TKO

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • commander of team TKO!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2010, 06:04 PM »
check out a paulin mini heater 3500 btu. it takes 1lb tanks an works great. u can find them at globaltowne.com just look under outdoor heaters on the left side of the page when u scroll down. i like mine alot. good price. like 45.00
i love when people say, well im markin them ,but i just cant get them to bite. im not there to fish, im there to catch!!!! can i try ur hole!!

Offline Flattop

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2010, 06:21 PM »
I've been using a buddy heater for 6 or 7 years now.  On high setting you will go through a bottle quickly, I run mine off a 20 pound bottle with a hose.  Hope this idea helps.
In life "The day you quit learning, better be the day you quit"
"I learn something new every day, even if it's how not to do something"

Offline Flattop

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2010, 06:24 PM »
In addition to my above reply; you should also carry one 1 pound bottle for emergency when the 20 pounder runs out.
In life "The day you quit learning, better be the day you quit"
"I learn something new every day, even if it's how not to do something"

Offline basser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2010, 06:34 PM »
I just got a Big Buddy and I got the hose and a 5LB tank so I don't have to mess around with the little green 1 pound tanks. I do how ever take a green 1 pounder with me just in case I run out in the 5LB tank.

Offline ice chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2010, 08:27 PM »
I have the small buddy heater and I can run most of the day on 1lb can. I don't want to pull along a 20lber but the 5lb sounds like a great thing. where can you get 5lb tanks. I also checked out different hoses, Buddy heater recommends using a filter with the larger cans, but they do offer a hose of their own brand that doesn't requires using a filter. I live in Michigan City so any ideas where I can pickup the 5lb cans.
Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2010, 08:35 PM »
As stated you should get 6-8 hours out of one can. Thats for the one can heater buddy. Im not sure about the 2 can heater. One thing I learned early on with these is that you have to thread the can on straight. If  its threaded just alittle "off" then more than likely it will leak. I rarely use mine anymore unless the boy goes.

Offline crappiedon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2010, 08:37 PM »
my unit is only a couple years old and i must say ,Saturday morning i had a hell of  a time getting it fired-up when it was 5 degrees out!luckily i carry a back-up ,radiant model that fits right on top of a propane bottle . heated up the little buddie and got it started.if not i was going back to the truck.

Offline cooner2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2010, 09:27 PM »
my mr heater buddy last all day (8 hrs.) on low 1/2 day on high.  typically i don't run it continuously as this tends to make me sweat especially with a lantern or two in the shack.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2010, 07:52 AM »
I don't know about the buddy heaters. I have a older focus 5 and it's basicallt a propan bottle with a screen on it.Yesterday I had a real hard time getting over 2 hours out of a 1 lb tank. Propane got too cold and would never get up to full heat. I've heard that coleman propane is better?? I have no idea if thats true but I'm going to look for some.
By 4:00 yesterday my propane was frezing,my beer, my fish,my bic lighter, my gloves and my hands. I thought I was going to have to call the fire department to remove my metal ice scooper from my hand.
Paul

Offline flipstick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:17 AM »
I've found my lantern gives enough heat even in a two man shelter.  I do have a coleman heater that uses the coleman fuel but not getting rid of it.  LOL I might need it some day. 

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:59 AM »
I agree. I fish in a scout and the lantern heats it up just fine. Space is also an issue in this small shanty. I have put the Mr Little buddy behind me in the sled tub while fishing and its just too hot.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:19 PM »
Update: Coleman fuel does not work any better in the cold! Same problem tonight. Going to take the dual fuel lantern if it's this cold next time.
Paul

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
5lb propane tank
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:36 PM »
......... I don't want to pull along a 20lber but the 5lb sounds like a great thing. where can you get 5lb tanks.......I live in Michigan City so any ideas where I can pickup the 5lb cans.

Search ebay, They sell them there. Not cheap thou, cheapest 5lb I found was around $50 and it was used....I still use the 1lb tanks, but I too want to get a refillable 5lb tank.

When its bitter cold(teens or less) and I get out my 1lb to use, lots of times it won't work. So I put in under my coverhauls for 10-20 minutes to warm it up and its ok them.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2010, 08:56 AM »
I had one but then switched to a focus 3. I also have a focus 5 and it will run you out of the shanty. Anyone else love their focus like I do. you can find them on ebay but they are salty because they discontiued making them.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline DEADONDYLAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2010, 10:58 AM »
I picked up an 11lber and a 5lber at my local true value hardware store 11 for big buddy in the voyager and 5 for little buddy in the scout might have to refill twice a season if I do a lot of overnighters or have to run it on high but usually only once a year. doesn't cost alot to refill though the initial cost of the tanks is spendy they have paid for themselves as aposed to the green bombs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.