New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Honeoye Lake  (Read 22862 times)

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
Re: Honeoye Lake
« Reply #30 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:02 PM »
I can vouch for the pike, Had 1 40"+ attack my camera on my aqua-vu 5 times. The last time he hit it head on while we watched. (Nice inside mouth footage) I wish I could have recorded it. I never seen anything like it.So there are some very nice pike in there who love plastic cameras

We tryed the long walk to get away but man that sled sure pulls harder and harder. Great idea on knocking on doors and asking for permission to gain access.May have to try it. Got a lot of dinks today then it rained

Offline jtf19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:40 PM »
Fished Thursday from about 130-dark. Got on at the south end boat launch and walked a little ways to get away from everyone and fished in 10-20 fow, same side as boat launch. No one even semi close to us. Skunked! Had 9 tipups between 2 of us also, not even a flag! They were baited with bass shiners about a foot off the bottom. Didn't think for a minute I'd get skunked, figured with all those bass in there I would be bound to get at least 1!  :-\. Tough day with the long walk and no fish. Any advice to what I was doing wrong? Only my second year ice fishing and I'm all for learning anything I can. Thanks, Jeff

Offline dukhnter8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:47 AM »
With the tip ups try varying the depths until you start catching fish. They maybe higher in the water and fish can't really look down easily.

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #33 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:07 AM »
Hey jtf19,
The fish are skittish this year.  Make sure your presentation is as light as you can personally stand to make it.  Sometimes, people make their terminal tackle on tip-ups look like grappling hooks!  These fish this season get spooked by teardrop ice flies, much less great big treble hooks on heavy line.  Everything works somewhere, but here, now, this year, on this lake, subtle presentations may help put a few more on the ice.  Crazy as it sounds, maybe even try going real light and going with a small Niagara or a Fathead.  Been working for me.  I use the bigger stuff elsewhere mind you.  Seems to me that the fish in this lake are just not yet ready to commit to attacking big stuff.  What the heck, you might as well try something.   ;)
Good luck.  Let us know how you do.
Stay Sharp, Be Safe
Grady

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:52 AM »
The water is the clearest I have seen it on Honeoye in a long time also.  Yesterday I was in 18' of water and could sight fish (looked like I was fishing in 8 fow).  Gardy95 is right about down sizing.  Yesterday 90% of our fish were taken on small shiners.  The bigger shiners did not produce as much.  Another thing is the use of light florocarbon on the tip ups.  I still see guys out there running steel leaders and regular mono.  I run 6 or 8 lb. Seagar floro on my tip ups with a small treble.  Makes a huge difference. 

Offline Mkowasz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:29 PM »
hop to be able to fish this weekend

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #36 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:40 PM »
I went back and read what some people said. I truly believe Honeoye is "hit or miss" only if you dont move enough to find the fish. There are so many pan fish in there that you will find them eventually. Ive had times out where it took trying 6-7 spots before i got on fish but eventually we did. Just gotta work at it until you find the fish and coax them suckers into biting. maybe you wont get on bigger fish but you should at least be able to get on a bunch of medium size fish at least. That and there are sooo many bass. Just my 2 cents on it :P :P :P
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:00 PM »
Hoping we can find some tomorow!
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:04 PM »
well if you get on just move till you find um man, dave genz says the best ice fishermen know when its time to move on even if a spot seems good and that guy knows what he is talking about

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:09 PM »
Yeah he does. Im sure we can find some decent fish.

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:10 PM »
hope you do, text me and let me know how it goes man

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:44 PM »
Will do!

Offline wanna fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:42 PM »
How much ice is there looking to go out and do some fishing

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:50 PM »
Just looking back a few pages.  What happened to the posts from Jan 2010 through two days ago???? They were there last week. ???

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 24, 2013, 06:11 PM »
South end ice thickness varies. 3 to 5 to 2.... fishing is slow. Spud spud spud!

Offline jc79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:33 PM »
My buddy and i went out to the 30fow and slow s-ame ice as the south 5-4-2 so yeah use a spud

Offline ice fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • if there ice i am on it
« Reply #46 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:57 PM »
Hows the fishing here never been here before
if there ice i am on it

Offline jc79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:05 PM »
Can be great for gills crappies and perch put in the work and u will get rewarded.. but there is color to the water rt now so the perch where tough 3ft of viz would be a good time to target crappies

Offline stangebala

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 13, 2014, 06:37 PM »
hey I am trying to go ice fishing Saturday how good is the ice one guy said its like 5/6 inches but that was on the 10th anyone? ??? ???

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 13, 2014, 07:02 PM »
hey I am trying to go ice fishing Saturday how good is the ice one guy said its like 5/6 inches but that was on the 10th anyone? ??? ???

You now have 3 Posts so go to the "Reports & Conditions" board under New York and look at the Honeoye Lake thread there.

Offline hipnip22

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Honeoye/Ontario
« Reply #50 on: Jan 13, 2014, 09:20 PM »
Attention Guys/Gals -   Someone Stole our tip ups out of their holes last Saturday night! (1/11/14)  My daughter and I put them in after the rain stopped and fished until the winds picked up and rain started.  My parents live on Honeoye lake in the cove by Burns Point (East Side 1/4 mile South of Marina).  We were inside eating dinner, and I went back out to check them and they were gone! (Between 6-8pm)  5 Black Polar Tipups  :tipup:  Reflective tape on the flags. 500' Spools.   These tipups are the ones my father bought me as a kid and want to pass them on to my kids.  And yes, they were labeled with our names!  I checked the shoreline and found nothing.  We have evidence they were stolen, a shoelace was caught in a leader and they broke the line on the grab.  My father and I have been fishing the same cove for 30 years and never had a problem.  If you know who has them or come across them in your travels, please ask they do the right thing --- Return them to the yellow Cape Cod house on Burns Point.  No questions asked!  Thank you!   >:( >:( >:(  Feel free to share this post!  Thanks! Pete

Offline bigminnow4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 14, 2014, 12:27 AM »
went out on west side mid lake.shore ice not good. Went back over to east side.trident was good ice.
Shore ice fine and ice was solid four and half to five inches. Put out flags in 12fow to 18 fow . Soaked them from five fifteen am til eleven.nothing. jigged in 19fow and marked a lot of smaller perch.ice is holding good but spud your way out.  Be mindful of any shore ice.good luck boys.

Offline hipnip22

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Honeoye/Ontario
« Reply #52 on: Jan 14, 2014, 07:40 AM »
Sorry to hear that .
We're your name and address on them? Maybe someone thought they were abandoned since they were unattended for a couple hours.
.    Name only.   They were not more than 100 feet from shore.

Offline Ice Crazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 14, 2014, 08:53 AM »
Maybe a game warden took them !!!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #54 on: Jan 14, 2014, 09:07 AM »
From NY Regs Book..
In New York State, general angling regulations limit anglers to two jigging lines (or hand lines) and five tip-ups in most waters. Each tip-up must be marked with the operator's name and address;    the operator must be in immediate attendance when the lines are in the water.      Since special regulations apply on many waters, review the current fishing regulations guide when planning an ice fishing trip - and don't forget your current year's fishing license.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline SKUNK-MASTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 14, 2014, 09:17 AM »
BOOOM :callcops:

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 14, 2014, 11:25 AM »
From NY Regs Book..
In New York State, general angling regulations limit anglers to two jigging lines (or hand lines) and five tip-ups in most waters. Each tip-up must be marked with the operator's name and address;    the operator must be in immediate attendance when the lines are in the water.      Since special regulations apply on many waters, review the current fishing regulations guide when planning an ice fishing trip - and don't forget your current year's fishing license.
You must be looking at an older version. Go to the NYSDEC website. Under general regulations it states 3 handlines an 5 tip ups. Not trying to argue but just now looked it up.
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline hipnip22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Jan 14, 2014, 11:38 AM »
He can send them a ticket in the mail! (I hope not)....but.... if you were in "immediate attendance of the tip ups" as described in the regs, they would've been caught in the act.  It still sucks
   Game Warden?   Its possible, however unlikely.   He/she would of knocked on our door.  This was a grab, no flashlights seen probably by some guys walking north to Trident.   BTW -- Please define "in immediate attendance" 25, 50, 100 yards?   -- we were in our (House) not more than 75 feet away! I have seen guys put tip ups in near weed line and go 1/4 mile to the middle to jig ... and I know you seen it also!    These tipups were in close 6 -10 ft ... Not that is makes any difference at all.   They are gone.  Thanks for the positive comments.  Its sucks either way for my daughter.

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 14, 2014, 11:47 AM »
   Game Warden?   Its possible, however unlikely.   He/she would of knocked on our door.  This was a grab, no flashlights seen probably by some guys walking north to Trident.   BTW -- Please define "in immediate attendance" 25, 50, 100 yards?   -- we were in our (House) not more than 75 feet away! I have seen guys put tip ups in near weed line and go 1/4 mile to the middle to jig ... and I know you seen it also!    These tipups were in close 6 -10 ft ... Not that is makes any difference at all.   They are gone.  Thanks for the positive comments.  Its sucks either way for my daughter.

Not trying to be smart a** about it but typically "In immediate attendance" means that if a game warden goes by and trips a flag that the owner immediately comes out to check on it. If all 5 tipups are tripped and pulled out of the water and no one comes then I would say that it was not "in immediate attendance". Anyway, very sorry for your loss..

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #59 on: Jan 14, 2014, 12:44 PM »
You must be looking at an older version. Go to the NYSDEC website. Under general regulations it states 3 handlines an 5 tip ups. Not trying to argue but just now looked it up.

Ok even better....
Wherever ice fishing is permitted, no more than three hand lines and 5 tip‑ups may be used, except as noted in BORDER WATERS, LAKE CHAMPLAIN or SPECIAL REGULATIONS BY COUNTY. All tip‑ups must be marked with the name and address of the operator.    The operator must be present when lines (tip‑ups or hand lines) are in the water. 

I'm sorry you lost them Pete. Its hard to replace things with sentimental value..    :(
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.