Author Topic: 1lb test  (Read 5189 times)

Offline Troutlife

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Salmonids rule
1lb test
« on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:48 PM »
I just bought 200 yards of 1 pound test just  because it cost me $4 and I had never seen it before. I figured I would use it for smelt fishing. Anyone else use it for really light jigs?

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
Re: 1lb test
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2009, 04:17 AM »
yup I used it and to tell you the truth didnt care much for 1lb lots of break offs due to knot failure. The line itself is fine and dandy its just me tieing knots. If not tieing the perfect knot it had a tendency to break easily. With thatI went to 2 lb and it solved my bad habits of knot tieing.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2009, 04:52 AM »
I picked some up with the intention of using it on my jigging rods, I can barely see it to tie a jig on.  I think I'll stick to 2 #.

kb
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2009, 07:37 AM »
i got a spool on sale.
i like it, but , yeah, the knot thing. i can tie it in my livingroom, but on the ice...
there seems to be a big difference between 1 and 2 lb line diameter, more than i would think.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2009, 08:26 AM »
I use 1lb. pretty regular. I was using 1lb. Trilene Micro ice and got some Asso Invisible Fluro in 1 lb. to try. The Asso is even thinner than the Trilene.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2009, 08:46 AM »
I have had a few issues with 1lb so now I don't go below 2lb

asso makes great line for leaders, the 2lb is easy to tie and fairly tuff

Offline Lookin Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2009, 10:12 AM »
Wow, I have a hard enough time seeing 3lb to tie a knot let alone 1lb!!! :wacko:

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2009, 10:58 AM »
Never tie 1 # out there on the ice...cold stiff fingers...poor lighting...I get no name knots!  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline squaretailanglers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2010, 05:46 PM »
I picked up the Trilene 1 lb. this year since it was on sale for $2.  First, the line rarely made a strong knot and lost many fish already this year. I also noticed that if you hooked a good fish and they took off to the side of the hole, the line would often break on the ice in the hole edges. I just attached a stronger line and used the 1lb as spool filler.
Tight Lines!
UNH '10
UNH Graduate Student '12

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2010, 06:17 PM »
1 lb Fireline Crystal micro ice..........it's the bomb.  Can't break it in your hands without cutting yourself first.  Has the same diameter as 1/4 lb mono....  Tough and easy to use and no line twist.  That's all I have been using on my panfish rods/reels for years...haven't had a break off yet.......even caught a 4 1/2 lb eye on the set up......

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2010, 09:07 PM »
used 1 pound sufix all day today and man oh man it is my new favorite for gills! got an 81/2 incher on 1 pound and a 27"quick tip what a rush! could feel every headshake!

Offline arcticcatz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2010, 03:01 PM »
I never use more that 1lb line for panfish. Most of the time I use Thread. I have noticed a HUGE difference in # of bites vs 2 lb line. I did a test w/ 2 pound line and Thread, same bait, same jig (gill pill) at the same time in holes within 1 ft of each other. And got almost 2X more hits on the one with the thread. Might be a concidence, But I have the most confidence with thread. I have not had any issues with Knots breaking, I use the Hook Snell knot b/c it retains 100% of line strength. I hope this helps out. RB

Offline Phouvieng

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2010, 01:06 AM »
 :o -- I'd love to find some 1lb fluorocarbon in a shop near me. I'm jealous.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:54 AM »
I'd love to find some 1lb fluorocarbon in a shop near me. I'm jealous.

I'll be honest, I rarley find any of my ice purchases near me...I would say 90% of my purchases are on-line nowadays, i use the local shops to pick-up the last minute add-ons. The on-line stores can afford to carry larger selection of baits and lines as they do not worry about floor space

dont get me wrong, if my local shop brings the goods in, I will support them, but if not i will buy on-line

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2010, 02:20 PM »
i have fished with 1 lb for a couple years now many big crappie ,gills and even some small bass have been caught you need patience a good drag and gentle hook set but you definitely get more bites.sometimes its not easy to see but that is why i buy it.my heavy line is 2 lb which brought in a 5 lb large mouth couple years ago.will probably be trying half pound next year.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2010, 02:59 PM »
The fish I catch aren't that small ::)
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2010, 03:08 PM »
i would not recommend 1 lb for northerns or lakers you better step up to 4 lb for them.i cant get a smiley to work but im smiling

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #17 on: Sep 06, 2011, 01:44 PM »
All my panfish rods have 1 pound suffix ice on them and I love it. Ive never had a problem with breakoffs. Caught many bluegills, crappies, perch, the ocasional bass and even one 17 inch walleye.

Just have to have it paired with the right rod and a reel with a smooth drag.  @)
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Sep 11, 2011, 10:21 PM »
I'd use 1 lb if I could, but eyes and fingers ain't what they used to be. 2 lb is the lightest for me.

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #19 on: Sep 11, 2011, 10:38 PM »
i find this all hard to believe.. i got 2 pound last year and couldnt even tie a knot with it..what knot yall using  that can hold 5 pound bass and 17 inch walleye? do you think my retailer just gave me old stuff from a few years ago or what?!?!? it was ice magic brand i believe ..i loved how light and silky it felt,and the jigging with it was awesome but first fish i got with it was a small trout while sight fishing and snapped it off in the hook set.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 11, 2011, 10:54 PM »
I'd use 1 lb if I could, but eyes and fingers ain't what they used to be. 2 lb is the lightest for me.
Just need to keep it simple, I'm old and play the trombone too. Surgeons Knot for adding a lighter leader and Surgeons Loop on the jig, much better action than something tight.  http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 12, 2011, 02:45 AM »
i find this all hard to believe.. i got 2 pound last year and couldnt even tie a knot with it..what knot yall using  that can hold 5 pound bass and 17 inch walleye? do you think my retailer just gave me old stuff from a few years ago or what?!?!? it was ice magic brand i believe ..i loved how light and silky it felt,and the jigging with it was awesome but first fish i got with it was a small trout while sight fishing and snapped it off in the hook set.

Basic Trilene knot just like I use on everything took the walleye and I was using 1lb Suffix "Ice Magic" line....Its not always about the know or the line it also has a lot to do with the rod and reel. Gotta have an ultrlight rod and a reel with a nice smooth drag set just right.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Sep 12, 2011, 06:24 AM »

BINGO......

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 12, 2011, 07:00 AM »
I use 1# Berkley Micro Ice on all 4 of my panfish rods. As others have said, it's not that hard to fish if you have a good drag and patience. I usually can outfish friends with heavier line. I haven't had any problems with the Trilene knot.

Offline archetype_wyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Sep 12, 2011, 02:41 PM »
I never use more that 1lb line for panfish. Most of the time I use Thread. I have noticed a HUGE difference in # of bites vs 2 lb line. I did a test w/ 2 pound line and Thread, same bait, same jig (gill pill) at the same time in holes within 1 ft of each other. And got almost 2X more hits on the one with the thread. Might be a concidence, But I have the most confidence with thread. I have not had any issues with Knots breaking, I use the Hook Snell knot b/c it retains 100% of line strength. I hope this helps out. RB

What kind of thread do you use? Could you post a pic?
Life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. ~Bill Hicks

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Sep 12, 2011, 02:45 PM »
What kind of thread do you use? Could you post a pic?

Singer sewing thread or any clear sewing thread for that matter. It has a smaller diameter than 1lb test.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline archetype_wyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Sep 12, 2011, 03:08 PM »
Singer sewing thread or any clear sewing thread for that matter. It has a smaller diameter than 1lb test.

What's the break-strength?
Life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. ~Bill Hicks

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Sep 12, 2011, 03:15 PM »
Honestly couldnt tell you ive never used it myself, but a few of my buddies do.  We fish mostly panfish gills, crappies and the occasional bass. I dont think youll be able to find an exact break strength I mean its sewing thread not fishing line, but if I had to take a guess I would say 2-3 pounds. Gotta match it with the right rod and a good reel.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Sep 20, 2011, 01:18 PM »
I'll be honest, I rarley find any of my ice purchases near me...I would say 90% of my purchases are on-line nowadays, i use the local shops to pick-up the last minute add-ons. The on-line stores can afford to carry larger selection of baits and lines as they do not worry about floor space

dont get me wrong, if my local shop brings the goods in, I will support them, but if not i will buy on-line

Well said.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.