Author Topic: Lowrance hds-5  (Read 35068 times)

Offline Douger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lowrance hds-5
« Reply #60 on: Dec 15, 2014, 04:38 PM »
Got my Elite 5 HDI last year.  When I first used it on ice I put the screen brilliance up to 10 (all the way up) and let it run to see how long it would last, got a good solid 7 hours out of it before the battery voltage became marginal.  I normally run it with a 6 or 7 brilliance and sleep it if I move but it is on just about all day and have never had it die on me.  The unit goes on the boat during the soft water season.  I do use the ice pack with Elite 5 in the summer when fishing in the canoe.  I also put the charger on the ice pack battery every couple of months during the summer.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Dec 15, 2014, 05:01 PM »
Iv read all 4 pages of this thread I havnt seen anyone comment on this thing in deep water. I know they are great in waters say less then 50 ft but has anyone used theirs for deep water jigging for lakers? Im interested in this unit but most of my ice fishing is for lakers in waters from 50 to 100 feet. How do they perform in water that deep?

Offline Steellord

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:30 PM »
I mounted my HDS5 on a nice wooden base my brother in law made for me that I originally had a Humminbird Pirahnamax 160 mounted on. I will probably be putting the Humminbird back on it for a back-up or a loaner. Since I recently scored an old school Genz blue box on Ebay and will be building a setup similar to what Jim Carroll has.

Steellord
Hardwater Fisherman
ICQ# 24735418
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's much more serious than that!!

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:52 PM »
This is how I mounted mine 5 dollar Home Depot tool box and 3 dollars worth of Velcro for battery and some silicon sealant for the mounting holes in the bottom. Also added 1" pvc rod holder on side and cut tray to hold 5 cans of gulp.
[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 15, 2014, 07:01 PM »

Sorry here it is

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Dec 16, 2014, 02:40 PM »
Be nice if it was bright enough to actually see.

Offline trouter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #66 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:41 PM »
i have the hds 5 for deep ice fishing and it will show you your jig at 160 feet and also the swivil. My buddy has the elite 5 and his does also. If it drifts outside the cone you are out of luck. Never had a problem.

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:35 PM »
Sorry bad picture before velcroed the battery in cut a trench with dremel sander for the transducer cord used the plastic lowrance bolts with silicon sealant to attach the head unit.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Dec 18, 2014, 12:58 PM »
Nice job

Offline Skawdee

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's that time of year again!
« Reply #69 on: Jan 07, 2015, 02:27 AM »
I just got my Lowrance Ice Pack PPP-18i in today along with a few other goodies for the season! I hooked up my Mark-5x Pro to it and can't wait until Saturday. Have any of you used it with this finder before? It's not color, but has an LED backlight. I'm curious how much easier (or worse) on the battery it'll be. I'll report back this weekend.
I don't just go FISHING... I go CATCHING.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Jan 08, 2015, 04:10 PM »
It should be good on battery.
Fishin red lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.