Author Topic: Lowrance hds-5  (Read 35065 times)

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
Re: Lowrance hds-5
« Reply #30 on: Feb 23, 2010, 11:27 PM »
I had my HDS-5 running the other day for 8 hours on a 7 amp hour battery before it died. However, I did have the screen brightness on whatever it is on by default. Probably high.
 What's happening reeleyes....That's a good battery....
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline absentx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:40 PM »
Hey let's keep this thread going!

I love my HDS 5...I have had it since last February so this will be my first full ice season with it. I run the ten amp hour battery and last year it lasted quite awhile, but that same battery is no longer as good so I doubt I will get much than four or five hours out of it now.

But I also have another trick on mine...I have the weather module and a set of mini speakers so I can get satellite weather an music too if I want it. Now..that is a whole other power drain so just tonight I am experimenting with a small 1.4 amp hour battery to see how long that will keep the weather module going...I cant imagine it has anywhere near the draw that the main unit has.

There is a new ice pack from Lowrance now...I just saw it Reeds sporting goods website...but have yet to find it anywhere else. Anyways, it looks much nicer then the older one and it might hold more stuff. Part number is PPP-18i

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Dec 23, 2010, 06:20 AM »
thanks snag now i'll have to get another battery to ,thanks JIMC-ND on where to get the batteries ,and now i don't have to listen to my bud snag btch about the extra weight hes dragging  ;D

Offline Chris Gatley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 23, 2010, 06:36 AM »
I have a lowrance hds5 for my boat I was wondering if anybody used them on the ice. I wanted to see if its good to spend the money for ice transducer+battery. any replies will be a help.

Kevin G-

Using GPS units and lake charts is a growing trend actually.  Most guys I have been talking with are still using their vexilar or humminbird flasher in combination with their HDS 5 or Humminbird GPS unit for precise spot location and lure presentation and to try to determine the fish's mood.  As you know, -mounts make it easy to convert the unit from one's boat to their atv, pull along sled or however they plan to ice fish.  Just yesterday, my friend was shooting a TV show with Bob Izumi from Canada.  They used their chartplotter to find specific spots then used the flasher to fine tune their presentation; all from a pull along sled.  I have yet to talk with Bob Izumi today but I know this is a very new concept out East here.  They shot their show on Bay of Quinte somewhere and managed 8 walleye over 10 pounds on film with a total of around 25 or 30 fish between 3 anglers.  Good Luck out there and Merry Christmas!

Offline duns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Mar 02, 2012, 07:35 PM »
JIMC_ND..... pm me with all the nesessary supplies that you needed to build your modified Genz Box for monting your HDS5 unit.
I do have to say that that is the prettiest thing ive seen in a long while.
GREAT JOB!!!! : ) 
I've got my HDS mounted on an old school Genz Box with a few mods... ;D

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline JIMC_ND

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 07, 2012, 01:35 PM »
JIMC_ND..... pm me with all the necessary supplies that you needed to build your modified Genz Box for mounting your HDS5 unit.
I do have to say that that is the prettiest thing I've seen in a long while.
GREAT JOB!!!! : )

I've been getting some email and PM's with requests for more information on how I rigged up my ice box.  Here is some more detailed info:

A little thought went into this project.

I made the panels out of a scrap of 1/8" fiberglass sheeting I had laying around (fiberglass wall panel, comes in 4X8' sheets) All the wiring through the panels runs through Rig-Rite rubber grommets.

The fittings that hold the transducer and light are NIBCO electrical PVC reducer bushings.

The charging ports are large wirenuts painted the appropriate red and black. I used large yellow wirenuts and a stainless steel bolt drilled through the bottom and a nut inside the wire nut to secure the bolt in place. The studs are recessed below the rim of the wire nut to prevent an accidental grounding, and I used ring terminals on the wires to the battery under the bolt head. I glued the wire nuts in place underneath with a ring of "Plumbers Goop" adhesive.

I use the Marineco 12v outlet on the side to power accessories like my cell phone charger etc. My buddy plugged a 12V electric knife in it and cleaned a couple of fish one day.

Rig with a larger battery if you can, an HDS will definitely use more power than most flashers. I use a 10 Amp Hour battery which has the same footprint as the more common 7-9 AH batteries, but it's about 1” taller and still fits easily inside my Genz Box. Buy them on ebay, under $30 shipped

To secure your battery, I'd suggest wedging it in place with high density closed cell foam. I used some shipping foam that came with an Optima battery, but I've also used foam from a "pool noodle" for some of the other setups I've made for friends. Just make sure any foam you use is closed cell so it doesn't absorb water.

I ordered the LED switches on line (ebay), but have seen similar at Radio Shack. Look for ones that have a small LED so the light of the switch doesn't get too annoying. One switch is a "Master Power" switch, the other is for the Flex-Light.

Inside the box there is a power distribution strip, and all the wiring connections are soldered and shrink wrapped to seal out moisture.

The transducer extension holder is a brass faucet supply tube with a solid fiberglass rod inside it. (I used an old glass bowfishing arrow for this one. I've also used a chunk of aluminum arrow with an insert on some that I've made up for friends.)

The digital battery gauge and FLex-Light are Vexilar accessories.  I use the battery gauge only to see the charge status of the battery when the HDS isn't powered up (I put the volt meter up on the HDS display screen).  I like the light, it doesn't draw much and illuminates the hole nicely.

It was a fun project to build and it has held up after being pounded across a lot of ice.

Hope this helps!  Jim Carroll  NPAA #13

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 08, 2012, 03:10 PM »
I have been throwing the idea of making a portable mount for my HDS-5 for my kayak.  In looking for ideas I came across this thread (duh).  I do believe I will not only have a kayak mountable graph, but one for the ice as well.  I always thought the cold would be too much for it, and never even considered it.   I don't know if it will replace the LX-5....but I am very excited about this....THANKS GUYS!!

Offline patch1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 06, 2013, 10:46 AM »
For all those folks in Canada, I just ordered the Ice Fishing Kit which includes PTI-WBL, Carry Bag, Battery and Charger (0016-46) Ideal for all Mark™, Elite™, X-4, X-4 Pro, and HDS-5 displays, and similar earlier models and the Lowrance HDS-5 to PPP-17 or PPP-18i Adapter Kit from Radio World. http://radioworld.ca/index.php?
Patch

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 06, 2013, 12:22 PM »
Just made almost the same rig (minus the light, battery meter, and the fancy's but using the newer bluebox) for my HDS7.  Just comparing it against my Marcum this thing is huge...  ;D 

Can't wait to get it on the ice!

Offline TRBike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:39 PM »
wipike, I just received the same ice pack and HDS5 adapter.  I'm a little confused how to setup the cable connections.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 12, 2013, 04:46 PM »
wipike, I just received the same ice pack and HDS5 adapter.  I'm a little confused how to setup the cable connections.  Any help would be appreciated.

Sent you a PM, bud.  Sorry I didn't see this post earlier.

;)

Offline fundad01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 20, 2013, 12:15 PM »

While the menus in the HDS are somewhat different than the X-67C, the concepts and settings are similar.  You can download the HDS owners manual or quick start guide (which gives a nice overview) here:

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Downloads/Manuals/

* I use "graph" mode exclusively (Pages/Sonar<to the top>/Enter).  The HDS does have a flasher mode- Menu/Sonar Options/Split/Flasher- if you prefer that view.

* Choose your transducer (Menu/Settings/Sonar/Installation/Transducer type)  PTI-WBL/PTI-WSU is the correct choice for the Lowrance ice-ducer.

* Pick a background PALETTE (Menu/Sonar Options/Palette) that's easy to see given the light conditions in which you are viewing the screen (14 choices).

* Set the FISHING MODE (Menu/Settings/Sonar/Fishing mode)  I use the Shallow Water mode 80% of the time.  Note changing these settings can change noise filters and ping speed settings.

* Manually adjust PING SPEED (Menu/Ping speed) and chart SCROLL SPEED (Menu/Settings/Sonar/Scroll speed) to your liking.  I usually run between 15-Max ping speeds and Normal-2X Scroll speeds depending on water depth.

* Designate RANGE (Menu/Range) and choose a suitable range of water depth.

* Run SENSITIVITY (Menu/Adjust/Sensitivity) settings in manual mode.  Uncheck AUTO SENSITIVITY (Menu/Auto Sensitivity/Enter) and adjust up until lure can be easily seen (usually 70-80% depending on water conditions).

*  Adjust COLORLINE so that the lure is just starting to turn blue. When a decent sized fish comes in, it will usually show some red or even yellow on the display (colors will vary with Palette choice)

*  If getting interference from other flashers (or other noise) use NOISE REJECTION and SURFACE CLARITY filters to tune it out.  Start at low and work your way up to high as needed. You'll have to adjust your SENSITIVITY after each increase in filter level.   In extreme cases of interference from other flashers, you may have to adjust the PING SPEED and/or raise or lower your transducer in the hole a few inches.  Using these tips and running in CHART MODE, I've never had a problem tuning out other flashers.

*  Use ZOOM (ZIN/ZOUT) and the ARROW Keypad to adjust the ZOOM window up or down so you are seeing the desired depth range.  The zoom level is up to 8X, and I always use some level of zoom, adding more in deeper water.

These settings should get you started using a Lowrance HDS unit on ice!  ;D

Jim Carroll NPAA #13
great post Jim. I really like the hds 5 on the ice.

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 22, 2013, 09:11 PM »
Finally got to spend some quality time dialing in the HDS this last weekend - man this thing is incredible.  It was weird getting used to looking at something other than the ol' flasher wheel, and at first I didn't realize what I was looking at until three distinct fish lines showed up on the history and you could see how they were reacting to the spoon.  Just awesome - completely changed the way I was used to fishing with a flasher.  Don't know if I could go back now.

What's everyone's favorite pallet?   ;D

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 24, 2013, 11:17 AM »
Hey Wipike...you mind sharing the cable connections on the PPP-18i with me as well?  How do I connect the transducer red/black fused leads to the battery if the power cable connections are already attached there??  The instructions that came with the unit are vague to say the least.

Thanks in advance.

Offline fundad01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:34 PM »
Hey Wipike...you mind sharing the cable connections on the PPP-18i with me as well?  How do I connect the transducer red/black fused leads to the battery if the power cable connections are already attached there??  The instructions that came with the unit are vague to say the least.

Thanks in advance.
you need the hds adapter it's another 50 bones ;( but well worth it IMO love my hds5  you leave the wires the ducer disconnected
http://www.reedssports.com/Product/product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=25488&pc=1591

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 25, 2013, 06:47 AM »

Unless I am missing something completely, I think I have the correct adapter cable, it plugs into the HDS xducer blue connector and then the xducer plugs into the adapter cable.  The xducer has a fused red and black battery connection...your link doesn't work for me....just leave them unconnected?

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 25, 2013, 06:04 PM »
Hey Pail Rider!

Sorry I forgot to check back on this post - you do NOT need to power the transducer, I don't know why they made it that way.  I bought just the transducer and the power plug for my HDS unit, and the transducer I got didn't have the power lines on it - it came with the blue plug directly.  The PPI pack that a friend bought did have that same setup, though - his had the red/black wires and the adapter kit.

The only thing you need to use to power up the HDS is the red/black on the power plug - you can skip the NEMA multi-color ends and the yellow REMOTE line.  Make sure you fuse the hot (RED), and just hook it up.  You do not need to power up the transducer.

Good luck!

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 28, 2013, 11:22 AM »
Exactly what I needed, thanks for the info wipike!  I got the unit out on the ice and absolutely love it.  I had previously clipped off the NMEA-0183 portion of the xducer cable....I knew I didn't need that one, lol.  I'm running the split screen with the graph/flasher right now until I get the hang of reading fish reaction on just the graph.

I guess the only other question I can think of is interference with other sonars.  My buddy has a vex FL8, and my son now has my Marcum LX-5...will the HDS unit work side by side in the same shack with the other two sonars running?

Thanks again,
Ken

Offline buckshotiii

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:54 AM »
Hey JIMC_ND or anyone who knows,
Your HDS ice rig setup looks great, I just had one quick question regarding battery size.  Can you fit a 12ah battery in the Genz Blue Pack?  I believe they are designed for 7-9ah batteries.  From looking at battery specs, it appears the size difference between the batteries is the 12ah is about an inch or so taller and half an inch or so wider than the 7-9ah.  If you can't fit it naturally, can the pack be modified to fit the bigger battery?

I want to do your same setup but with my HDS-7 unit and want the extra battery life with the 12ah battery.  Again, awesome looking ice rig.  Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.  No stores in my area carry the Blue Pack otherwise I would go and look at one myself.

Joe

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 07, 2013, 10:14 AM »
After taking a quick look at my Genz Box, without any disassembly or actual measurements, I would say this:

There appears to be approximately 5/8" more width ("width" being the width of the battery in its narrowest dimension) available in the battery storage area, requiring only the removal of a couple thin fins of plastic on the rear compartment portion of the case.  Any gains in height would require the modification or removal of the transducer cup.  At first glance, this would seem to be an option, just not sure how much work would be involved or what the end result would be.  Given the battery specs you listed, I would say that a battery of that size could be made to fit with only a reasonable amount of modification.

Sorry, I couldn't be more specific, hope this helps. 

Chip

Offline buckshotiii

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 07, 2013, 10:44 AM »
Fishin_Chip,
Thanks for the information.  I think I'll give it a try.  Fortunately, the Blue Pack and battery aren't expensive so I can experiment a little if needed.

Joe

Offline JIMC_ND

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 07, 2013, 02:01 PM »
Hey JIMC_ND or anyone who knows,
Your HDS ice rig setup looks great, I just had one quick question regarding battery size.  Can you fit a 12ah battery in the Genz Blue Pack?  I believe they are designed for 7-9ah batteries.  From looking at battery specs, it appears the size difference between the batteries is the 12ah is about an inch or so taller and half an inch or so wider than the 7-9ah.  If you can't fit it naturally, can the pack be modified to fit the bigger battery?

I want to do your same setup but with my HDS-7 unit and want the extra battery life with the 12ah battery.  Again, awesome looking ice rig.  Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.  No stores in my area carry the Blue Pack otherwise I would go and look at one myself.

Joe

I use a 10 AH battery in my setups.  Same footprint as the 7-9 AH batteries but it's about 1" taller in height.  Length will not be a problem for a slightly larger battery, but any additional width or height might be a problem.  I can't kill my 10 AH in a long day of fishing.

If you are using a new style Genz Box II you will need to modify the transducer holder by cutting the bottom off so a larger battery will fit underneath it.  Then I wedge the battery in place with pool noodle foam, and I also line the transducer holder with foam to hold the smaller Lowrance transducer.  The wire tie around the foam provides enough tension to keep the 'ducer in place.

Pics of the first Genz Box II I modded below, I hope this helps...

Jim Carroll  NPAA #13

Offline buckshotiii

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 07, 2013, 02:33 PM »
JIMC-ND, thanks for all the information and awesome pictures.  They really help a ton.

Joe

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:09 PM »
Pailrider - you should be able to tune out interference between the Marcum / HDS (I own one of each and had no problems with them, and have run my Marcum with others that had HDS's and they haven't had issues with me).  AFAIK, the Vex should clear as well - now I say this, and I can't recall if the Vex or Humminbird is the one that had issues.  One of them worked just like the Marcum with no problems at all, the other we had to fiddle around with to get clear.

Buckshot3 -  A 12Ah battery will NOT fit in the "new" style blue box.  The battery is too wide/tall(if spun 90deg on axis) to fit.  I've tried it (we get used batts free at work) and either the 9Ah or the 10Ah is the way to go.  I'm currently running a 9Ah on my HDS7, and it'll last the day.

Offline buckshotiii

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 07, 2013, 10:16 PM »
Wipike,
Thank you for the info.  It sounds like the 9 or 10ah is the way to go if you are using the HDS-7 and new Blue Box.  I can't say it enough, great job everybody for sharing the knowledge!

Joe

Offline Locoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 29, 2014, 07:36 AM »
Let's bump this up. Some really good info. My PPP 18i will be here any day.
><> I was born to be a FISHERMAN !!!! <><

Offline Douger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 29, 2014, 01:38 PM »
I just did my Elite 5 HDI, different mounting bracket but most everything else is same.  Call if you want further info, 540-659-6202, Doug.

Packaging the Lowrance Elite 5 HDI to the Lowrance PPP-18I Ice Pack

If you have a Lowrance Elite 5 HDI and would like to use it for ice fishing with the Lowrance PPP-18I Ice Pack you will need to purchase some additional Lowrance standard parts/items that are not included in the ice pack kit.

The items that are included in the ice pack kit are the ice pack carrying bag, 2 tackle boxes (Plano # 3449), rechargeable gel cell battery (NP7-12), battery strap, battery charger, ice fishing transducer (PTI-WSU with a 3 amp fuse and holder), ice transducer float and depth adjustment cord, base plate, display unit mount, 2 sonar unit mounting brackets (one is a QRB-5 used for the Elite 5 HDI), plastic mounting nuts and bolts, accessory holders, and a plastic wing nut and stainless washer which is now not used.

The items not included that I ordered to package the HDI unit with the ice pack kit were an Elite 5 HDI power cable with 3 amp fuse and holder (PC-30-RS422) which is the same cable that comes with an Elite 5 HDI and in my case is connected in my boat, and a PTI-WBL ice transducer with the blue plug.  I also used 2 female electrical spade terminals to connect the power cables/fuse to the battery and I replaced the four plastic mounting screws and nuts with stainless steel screws and self locking nuts.

The power cable comes with the fuse holder and fuse and two crimp wire connectors.  I used one of the crimp connectors to connect one of the fuse wires to the red power input wire on the power cable.  I put female spade/push crimp connectors on the other red fuse wire and the black power wire.  The yellow wire is not used.  The NMEA wires on the power cable are not used and I just folded a piece of electrical tape over them to cover and protect them.  I connected the power cable black wire to the negative battery terminal and the red fuse wire to the positive battery terminal.  I put the battery into the bag and strapped it down per the instructions.  The power cable is now ready to be connected to the sonar unit power socket.
Note:  Charging the battery while laying on its side in the bag is pretty much a non-starter, it really either needs to be removed (pita) and charged or a charging adapter plug needs to be wired into the system.  I am going to wire a plug into the power wires that connect to the battery to make charging easier and connect the mating plug to the charging wires from the charger.

I opted to purchase the PTI-WBL ice transducer which has a blue plug which is what the sonar unit uses.  You just plug the transducer into the sonar.  According to Lowrance you can use the PTI-WSU ice transducer that comes with the ice pack kit but it has a uniplug on it so you have to purchase the TA-UQ2BL-T uni to blue plug adapter cable.  And you do not connect the battery connections that come on the PTI-WSU transducer, you use the PC-30-RS422 power cable mentioned above.  Purchasing and using the PTI-WBL ice transducer makes a nice clean installation.
Note:  I have not tried the PTI-WSU as I did not order the adapter cable.

Using stainless steel machine screws and self locking nuts I secured the sonar mounting bracket to the display unit mounting plate.  Now you just connect the power and transducer plugs to the sonar unit and set the display unit mount in either the high or low mounting position and you are ready to go.

There are separate instructions for the ice float installation and Lowrance recommends fully charging the battery before using.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:48 PM »
I will be getting my hds5 gen 2 ready for the ice now after dragging my feet
Fishin red lines

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Dec 15, 2014, 01:36 PM »
Finally rigged my Lowrance Hds5 Gen 2 for the ice for a second unit it is great! It plays nice with my Marcum lx7 so when my wife is with using the Marcum I run my hds. Very satisfied wish I would have done it sooner.
Fishin red lines

Offline tjacob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 15, 2014, 03:32 PM »
I have a question for users of digital display flashers like the Elite 5. I bought a Lowrance X 102 color unit which had flasher capability thinking to use both soft and hard water. The problem I had was battery life. Best I could do was three hours continuous. Is this still a problem or has that been solved?  What kind of battery life do you get with an Elite 5? Thanks. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.