New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: eel bay, wellesley island state park  (Read 2159 times)

Offline icepike26

• Team IceShanty Regular
eel bay, wellesley island state park
« on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:44 PM »
looking to go up to eel bay on fri. and was wondering if any ones been out there...looking for ice report....was at coles creek both sat. and sun. caught total of 9 pike and a bunch of dink perch...hoping to get some perch out at eel thanks...... icepike26 out
FRABILL RANGER XL TWIN FLIPOVER
ARCTIC ARMOR PLUS SUIT
BAFFIN ARCTIC SERIES BOOTS 
ESKIMO AUGER
HT HUSKY WOODEN TIP UPS
POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500HO
BUDDY HEATER
ICE HUNTER SERIES 24" ULTRA-LIGHT COMBO
ICE HUNTER SERIES 26" MEDIUM COMBO

Offline St. Lawrence River Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: eel bay, wellesley island state park
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2009, 11:49 PM »
I haven't been over the bridge this week, but www.TIBAIT.com reported plenty of ice there last week.  It's still open water here in Carrier Bay.

The heavy winds over the next 2 day might move the ice around a bit.

I'm taking the kids over to hike the trails at the Nature Center on Wednesday and I'll try to update you with some real time data.

First post!  Tons of good info on this board.

Offline joefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2009, 05:40 AM »
looking to go up to eel bay on fri. and was wondering if any ones been out there...looking for ice report....was at coles creek both sat. and sun. caught total of 9 pike and a bunch of dink perch...hoping to get some perch out at eel thanks...... icepike26 out

Ice is about 5.5 inches on Lake of the Isles and eel bay has about the same close in.  Some guys have been fishing it.

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:28 AM »
The vast portion of Eel Bay is only 5 ft. deep.  I know there are tons of dink perch there during the soft water season, I would assume the same during hard water?  Walking off the boat launch near the H loop, it's quite a hike out to deeper water.  Anybody use/have any success for pike in the shallow water in Eel Bay with tip ups?  I'm planning a two day venture there, bringing the sled with me.  One day Eel Bay, the next, Lake of the Isles.
Leave it better than you found it

Offline icepike26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2009, 05:15 PM »
the fishing pole, I've fished there a few times last year and did great on pike, you don't have to find the deeper water to get them, they cruz through the shallow water looking for perch, would be jigging and all the sudden see a monster pike cruz by the hole after my perch, caught pike early in the morning on 5-6" minnows then later in the day no flags at all, so we put on dink perch and BANG!!! pike flags all day long ;)(and yes to everyone wanting to say anything about using perch, we did count them as our take)...for pike we usually head straight off the boat launch and veer to the left slowly...great place to start....definitely heading out friday storm or no storm got some insider tips on where there hitting the jumbos.....icepike26 out   
FRABILL RANGER XL TWIN FLIPOVER
ARCTIC ARMOR PLUS SUIT
BAFFIN ARCTIC SERIES BOOTS 
ESKIMO AUGER
HT HUSKY WOODEN TIP UPS
POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500HO
BUDDY HEATER
ICE HUNTER SERIES 24" ULTRA-LIGHT COMBO
ICE HUNTER SERIES 26" MEDIUM COMBO

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:09 PM »
Hey, thanks icepike for the info.  I fish there a lot during the summer, never ice fished it before though.  A lot of dink perch to be found in front of the nature center's dock that can be used as bait.
It'll be a couple weeks before I'm there, hope to have the sled going by then.

tight lines!
Leave it better than you found it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.