The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Fishing Ettiquite  (Read 7222 times)

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
Re: Fishing Ettiquite
« Reply #30 on: Dec 24, 2009, 07:27 PM »
 Oh let me guess, bet it is the green bridge in Turner! :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline king salmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 24, 2009, 08:09 PM »
Fishing in my shack on pond x last year, got there around our usual 430 am , around 7 three guys show up ,set up right beside us , within 30 ft and one DUDE, sets a trap 5 ft from our front door. I can assure u I handled this situation waaay wrong and ended up hurtin two of the mouthier ones good ,there were three of them and two of us but my buddies usually let me speek for them. I asked if they minded if we fished there too , being allready fishing I was being sarcastic , hoping they would get the point. They figured if my friend diddnt have much to say that they would just bully me. Then it was on and they knew from the time I came outta the shack theyd be headin home. Like I said I definately handeled it wrong but it happens way too often to me and Id just had enough. Never saw them there again , of course they claimed it was their spot.

Offline SALMON SLAYER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 25, 2009, 05:57 AM »
another law is the last thing this state needs!
I agree this state doesnt need another law,, but fishing ettiquite should be taught to these railheads,, In my own instance if i get up late or someone is all ready at my honey hole,, not a problem I will give them a wide berth and set up else where,

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 25, 2009, 06:16 AM »
Ditto!!! I've been in that one more than once, does that mean they "control" a 1/4-1/2 mile of ice? I'm sorry, but I don't think there's that much ice available on a given reef, sandbar, or trench. I'll try to stay far enough away so a running fish won't tangle lines, or I'll get a nosebleed if they make a hard turn, but I'm going to fish! 30-40 feet should be sufficient in all but deep water, then match the distance to the depth.
 Of course using my vocabulary helps, too: "Hey guy's, will you be drilling on this side of your line, mind if I do?" or, "do you mind if I set my line to cross yours down towards the other end?"

Now that's the right way to handle the situation. That is proper fishing etiquette. 

Offline bowhunt302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 25, 2009, 07:16 AM »
I think it comes down to the fact there are always those people in a crowd, whether you ice fishing or getting cut in line at wal mart.  

My personal preference, is not to be closer than 60 ft (and that looks close), to any body elses line, if it is that close I ASK, "Hey man is it cool if I try this out for a while?"

Lets be honest.  If you expect to fish the andro  you are going to deal with crowds, who are just as ansty to hook a big pike as you. There are very limited places to fish now, and a lot of people wanting to fish.  From the way it was was described, you hit it on a slow day!  I have seen that  cove with over 60 tip ups!  And the biggest pike of the day came right out of the middle of them.

I personally do not like fishing in crowds, and avoid them.   BUT, you never know how people are fishing.  You may be fishing dead, they may be alive, you may be using an oily bait, they might be using a slugo?  you could be in the mud, and they could be under the ice, flouro carbon/mono, main line tied direct to a 12"black stel leader.  The differences are never ending.

For Example...  I had some french guys drill holes less than 30 feet from all my holes in St. Agatha one year.  I was mffed, offered to move sarcastically.   Eventually I did not and neither did they.  I caught fish they didn't.  I was fishing a light leader under the ice, they were fishing 30 feet down, with 20 lb mono and a 1, 0z egg sinker, oh and a snelled hook.  the point is YOU NEVER KNOW

I hate to sound like I am saying "tough," but I have dealt with that situation so many times...  Some people are just not to be reasoned with.  But it is a sweet feeling when some sets up on you instead of the fish,and you still catch...

Bowhunt302

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Dec 25, 2009, 10:34 AM »
Unless Im with a group  its 100 yards or better distance   or even better is 200 yards min as I dont want to tangle lines   and I have a min of 100 yards (one with 200) of line  We go together  or plan on fishing together   you can be right beside me!    one year I went to my shack and a bunch of imbusuls (SP) set up 20 feet from my shack and had a roaring bonfire on the ice   I was PISSED  others were with me calmed me down   so I stuck to my shack and complained loudly to myself inside    they got the hint and left   but the bonfire mess was still there
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 25, 2009, 11:39 AM »
     Here's some food for thought:.......(Hearing quite a bit about shacks on the ice & people going close to fish / sometimes before owners arrive.).....Does having a shack on a spot ALL WINTER, mean that you have dibs & nobody can fish that area????.......Reason I'm asking is: Sometimes there are only a limited amount of "true honey holes" on certain bodies of water.......If a shack gives someone exclusive fishing rights; Seems to me that many bodies of water could be rendered useless to the VAST MAJORITY of licensed fisherman????....Am I wrong????.......LL
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 25, 2009, 11:47 AM »
After reading this I feel selfish as usually I have my lake all to myself. But I do go to some of the more popular lakes and encounter rude people. I fish for the purpose of relaxing and it is not relaxing when someone has a whole lake but has to fish on your lap. Sometimes it is just better to give up a good spot rather than put up with an idiot. Sad but true.  :tipup:

Offline McIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a Kid FISHING!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 25, 2009, 04:29 PM »
my general rule of thumb is the distance you have between your own traps. if you have a spread and your traps are approx 50 ft apart i wont set a trap any closer than that to you .

I agree with this logic...., I don't need the entire lake, but if I set up a 100' grid with my traps...., I'd expect 100' feet of room. Crowders BLOW, especially the ones that show up late! They are sure to be the subject of the next "Thick Headed" Beer commercials! Here's the deal; If someone sets up on you like that (and has the mentality that no one owns the ice), you can pitch all day...., but the guy's never going to catch! Get pissed, don't bother wasting words, fire up the auger, and commence to drill connecting holes in a 4' radius around his traps that have encroached. Should be real interesting when he goes to tend to his traps, but hey..., no one owns the ice right?   >:D
I wasn't running the net!                  :icefish:

Offline barkspud

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Real fisherman take children fishing
« Reply #39 on: Dec 25, 2009, 06:19 PM »
If I hit the ice and there is someone fishing I'l go elsewhere. If someone is going to set up near me I like the thought of enough distance so don,t have to worry about tangles. It depends what i'm fishing for and where. Definitely would like a good berth though. Ive been running a line down a shore with not a soul on the lake. Then 2 guys come on and cut my line off. I was unhappy but screw it went the other way.  I mean keeping distance from a ice shack is nice. What if its been there two weeks and not a soul. If I want to fish it I sent up around it if they show up i'll move. Some people use ice shacks just to guard spots claim it for the whole winter is that proper. 
DUDE THAT'S A NICE FISH CAN I USE IT FOR BAIT?     

Fish stories limited too 40'' or 40 minutes wich ever comes first.

Offline king salmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 25, 2009, 06:34 PM »
If I hit the ice and there is someone fishing I'l go elsewhere. If someone is going to set up near me I like the thought of enough distance so don,t have to worry about tangles. It depends what i'm fishing for and where. Definitely would like a good berth though. Ive been running a line down a shore with not a soul on the lake. Then 2 guys come on and cut my line off. I was unhappy but screw it went the other way.  I mean keeping distance from a ice shack is nice. What if its been there two weeks and not a soul. If I want to fish it I sent up around it if they show up i'll move. Some people use ice shacks just to guard spots claim it for the whole winter is that proper. 
I have two shacks usually out all winter and I dont feel I own either spot there at, if u want to fish there go on a day Im not there or beat me on the ice. I dont mind so much when we might be a little late and someone is allready there, I prolly wont move but will give theme space enough to fish. Just dont show up and set up 5 ft from our door . We werent even on the HOT SPOT with our shack.

Offline barkspud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 25, 2009, 06:42 PM »
Yeh I agree with yah there would never set close to anyone. Some times shacks seem to be abandoned used once or twice a season. If it looks like its used regularly or on a weekend I won't set up on it. I live on a pond and like to fish for browns. Lots of spots on pond to pick them up but if there are ice huts parked on most of them the whole season. You got to do something?

Offline king salmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 25, 2009, 06:59 PM »
Ive found its easier to head out and start talking to some of the shack owners, friendly people are usually ok to fish with us if they come over and talk to us first (Proper Ettiquite) they usually end up fishing with us
< warm shack, deer steak ect. People allways welcome especially ones whome live on that particular body of water, they usually can tell you a lot about that lake pond ect.

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #43 on: Dec 26, 2009, 05:45 PM »
I have thought about this issue many times. I have come to the conclusion that some guys are just selfish and will fish wherever they want no matter where you are. I had a guy drill a hole within 2 feet of my trap once when i lived in Nebraska. He outweighed me by about 50lb so i just said hey take the spot if you want it. I had 4 other traps out anyway. If they make a law that you cant set up within 50 feet of another persons trap without permission it will only keep the honest law abiding people away. I just think your going to have to deal with it, but there is nothing saying you cant give them a piece of your mind. I like to stay at least a good 50-100 yards away so that if a fish makes a good run my line doesnt get tangled in his traps and if he gets a fish that runs i doesnt interfere with my traps. I dont know, most people are good people and will stay away but NO we dont own the ice and they technically can set up right beside you if they want. Just run over all their traps with you snow machine on the way out if they dont have one he he just kidding.   GOOD LUCK and remember no fish is worth a fist fight or dying over. 

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 26, 2009, 06:02 PM »
Try fishing mid-week if you can. There are spots where shanties sit all season in VT, it is required to have the owner's name and phone number on it. MOst of the guys have no problem if you call them and let t hem know you are fishing near their shanty. I do this, and ask where they usually set their strings up. Its necessary on Champlain where you can run 15 traps, to avoid fights and such.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline kimball07

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • race,fish,and hunt
« Reply #45 on: Dec 26, 2009, 06:16 PM »
bottle rockets :tipup: :tipup: and m-90's  ;D

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #46 on: Dec 26, 2009, 06:27 PM »
Lou, good posts... Voice of reason, my opinion is that guys that think they own the ice are just as bad as guys that drill holes right next to you. Getting on the ice first only entitles you to drill the first holes. A little courtesy goes a long ways...

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 26, 2009, 06:43 PM »
He was to close if you didn't invite them.

A group of us (5) went out a couple of years ago and by 6:00am had most of our holes drilled, next thing we know 2 guys came over and started setting there traps up in the holes we just drilled. Went over and asked them what they thought they were doing, they tried to tell us that was there favorite spot. Told them if they wanted to fish this spot, they should have gotten up sooner.

If we see someone near where we want to fish, we like to ask how close is to close. It saves all kinds of problems and who knows they may invite you over.

Offline barkspud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:15 AM »
There been some good advice on this subject. Asking about setting up near them is always good.  Ice shacks that are placed for the season is hard. Do you set up on them if there not there. If they show up do you move or say you should have been here earlier. I usually move I put my shack here on the pond at a spot that gets fished a lot. Most of the guys know that its open and have at it. If I want to fish there I fish with them or move. Most of the guys move there shacks to landing or out of the way if there not going to use them during week. I have had good and bad experiences with shack owners. Most are good but does the shack placed on that spot allow you to have it all to your self for the season.  Gaurding that spot is what I call it, Maybe there should be a two week rule just like camp sites.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:11 AM »
Once I get a perm out on the lake it is too much work and too hard for me to move it around and it is there for the season  that being said I dont look for "The best" spot on the lake Im looking for the easiest to get it out there and get it back in   and if Im close to a "good"spot  I just got lucky   now  when I show up  I shouldnt have to worry that some fool drilled right next to the shack or worse yet outside of the door    at a  min I still support a 100' rule  from an existing shack   Ive arrived one time and a group had a fricken bonfire on the ice 20' from my shack    I wasnt a happy camper    I did not confront them   but Im sure they heard me from the inside of the shack   they left eventually   but didnt clean up the bonfire mess    so basically that ruined that 50' section for the year   I dont think you'd wanna ruin a blade catchin nails wood and who knows what else they left   Im still trying to think if this is worth it  now I have a new perm   cause Im possesive of the spot Im on and abit around it too   oh and its locked so If it wasnt one of the people that I gave keys to there would be hell to pay if I found them in there

Offline icefisha22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:18 AM »
a week ago or so a buddy and i were fishing in western maine. we were all set up by 630 and around 8 a group of five guys started drilling inbetween the circle of traps that we had set up. there were a couple of traps that were literally 6 or 7 feet from our traps. in my oppinion that is way too close.
"many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish that they are after"

Offline mike78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:59 AM »
in north dakota if u want to drill with/n 50ft of a fishermans holes u need to ask permission and every one carrys a sidearm so u dont forget to ask
yellow perch and crappie are King

Offline superdave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Dec 30, 2009, 12:18 PM »
in north dakota if u want to drill with/n 50ft of a fishermans holes u need to ask permission and every one carrys a sidearm so u dont forget to ask
I always try to stay 75 feet or more away;...if Im going to be around 50 feet...I always check with the others who are fishing.  IMO the only reason for a gun  while fishing is to shoot a 100lb. plus halibut to keep it from thrashing in the boat.  Common courtesy works wonders.  Good luck out there; be smart; and have a good time.

Offline icehousepsycho

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 30, 2009, 12:25 PM »
I like to stay away from other shantys, at least 50 feet, unless we talk and agree to work the same area.  I've had guys offer for me to set up by their spot in excghange for my drilling a few holes.  Often I'm the only one on the ice in inland NE Ohio with a power auger.  In this case I'll set up close to another icehouse, but if no communication, I don't get close.  It is just like boat fishing in my opinion, you wouldn't get within casting distance of someone, I apply that same distance rule on ice.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 30, 2009, 04:51 PM »
could not say it better myself.   I do like company so fish near me that's fine , but I make sure to keep my distance.   I am a perch guy there are plenty and if I am lighting them up and others are not I have no issue with people creeping on me as long as they are cool and not a-holes . On the rare occasion I am tip-up fishing I do hope people will keep some distance assuming my spread is not ridiculously big (which I have done and have seen done many times)

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:50 PM »
if i had traps out and some douche did that to me within 10 ft, ide grab my auger and go drill one about 16" from his. may piss em off enough to take his chit and move

Offline JustForTheHalibut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:48 PM »
Once I get a perm out on the lake it is too much work and too hard for me to move it around and it is there for the season  that being said I dont look for "The best" spot on the lake Im looking for the easiest to get it out there and get it back in   and if Im close to a "good"spot  I just got lucky   now  when I show up  I shouldnt have to worry that some fool drilled right next to the shack or worse yet outside of the door    at a  min I still support a 100' rule  from an existing shack   Ive arrived one time and a group had a fricken bonfire on the ice 20' from my shack    I wasnt a happy camper    I did not confront them   but Im sure they heard me from the inside of the shack   they left eventually   but didnt clean up the bonfire mess    so basically that ruined that 50' section for the year   I dont think you'd wanna ruin a blade catchin nails wood and who knows what else they left   Im still trying to think if this is worth it  now I have a new perm   cause Im possesive of the spot Im on and abit around it too   oh and its locked so If it wasnt one of the people that I gave keys to there would be hell to pay if I found them in there

Like yourself, i set my shack and even though im only 21 and quite capeable of moving around with ease, i like to tend and stick around my shack as i feel like i "might" be in someones favorite spot. Also i feel like they know i fish around my shack and i give everyone their choices of room and spots, so hoefully they respect the area aroun my shack. Well i also one morning went to my shack(was at little ossipee at the time) to find these people had literally put their shack not even 15ft from mine. I mean if i had a couple buddies out fishing and if 3 of them all parked a sled or wheeler next to myshack, their wouldnt be any more room between my shack and theirs. I also didnt confront them as i want to just have fun and enjoy the 3 months of ice that we have a year. They clearly sensed the tension and moved their shack the next time they were out and i never had a problem with them again. I think the biggest sign of respect you can give out on the ice, is space. Everyone agree?
you gotta hook em to cook em

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 31, 2009, 12:11 AM »
Ive had it pretty good I guess because Ive never had anyone creep in on me. Theres a huge amount of unused icefishing space on my home lake so it would be pretty odd to have someone set up that close.  I would have to say something if it were to happen to me though.

50 ft seems like it would be a common sense "closest distance" to set up from someone else, but if its a real crowded spot that might not be an option. I would just slide on past. LOL

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Dec 31, 2009, 06:05 AM »
These are the reasons that I invested in sleds and no longer icefish Long Lake.   
I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Dec 31, 2009, 09:07 AM »
These are the reasons that I invested in sleds and no longer icefish Long Lake.   
alas I agree   but thinking hard about it again   I do miss everything ready and no serious loading and unloading every time  esp when bringing a young one

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.