Author Topic: Quick Strike Rigs  (Read 6669 times)

Offline iCeMaN...24/7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Toad Time!!!
Quick Strike Rigs
« on: Dec 19, 2009, 12:21 PM »
Was looking to make the transition to quick strike rigs this year.  Have just used a single treble in the past.  Have you guys seen an increased hook up ratio when switching to quick strike rigs from single/trebles hooks?

Was going to make my own quick strike rigs, looks very simple.  Have researched the mass produced ones on the internet, now I know exactly how I want to make mine.  I was also going to add colored beads and a size 0 colorado blade to act as an attractor.

Any other tips you guys have to offer up after making your own? would be appreciated.
A bad day fishing beats a good day working!!! <///><

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Quick Strike Rigs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2009, 08:38 AM »
I made mine for years, I have used trebles, but know I either buy the Double Rider hooks or make them. To make the Double Rider hook I start with the size hook that I want to use then cut the eye off the shaft of the smaller hook. I then tap the cut end of the shaft to create a flange with no rough edges. I then crazy glue it to the shaft of the larger hook and wrap with Kevlar thread and cover with glue. If the glue fails the flange keeps the shank from pulling out. I have not had a frailer yet and they are cheaper to make than double riders that Partridge Hook / Mustad make, but they do make a sweet hook. Good luck and leave some fish for the rest of us!
Tight Lines,
Allan Butler
Light Lines Guiding

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2009, 09:29 PM »
I make mine like the article in a recent In-Fisherman magazine. First I cut an 18" length of 18# test 7 strand, I add a swivel. I thread a cleavis and spinner on followed by a small bead. I then thread on a length of heat shrink tubing followed by a #6 VMC red treble hook. I then heat the tubing to make the treble adjustable. I then fasten the other #6 VMC red treble hook to finish it off.

Offline iCeMaN...24/7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Toad Time!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2009, 08:42 PM »
Hard_H2O
Yep, found that In-Fisherman magazine article on-line, makes it pretty simple.

I thought about using the shrink tubing but also want to try the leader sleeves as well.  Do you prefer one over the other?
A bad day fishing beats a good day working!!! <///><

Offline Hunt_N_Pike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2009, 10:17 PM »
What exactly is a quick strike rig anyway? I seen Dark did a post in the pike section on how to make them, but it looks like it would hang the bait vertical?

I ask because I make a diffrent set and it holds my pike bait horizontal.

But if theres a better way and method, hey...........I can change.  ;D

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2009, 11:12 PM »
Hard_H2O
Yep, found that In-Fisherman magazine article on-line, makes it pretty simple.

I thought about using the shrink tubing but also want to try the leader sleeves as well.  Do you prefer one over the other?

I have never used the leader sleeves so I do not know abouot them. I know that the rigs I make work. There are many ways to make them.

What exactly is a quick strike rig anyway? I seen Dark did a post in the pike section on how to make them, but it looks like it would hang the bait vertical?

I ask because I make a diffrent set and it holds my pike bait horizontal.

But if theres a better way and method, hey...........I can change.  ;D

In Minnesota you are limited to a single hook on your line except if it is on a "lure". One way to turn what is on the end of your line into a lure is to add a spinner.

With no spinner and a single hook you usually have to wait for the fish to get the hook in its mouth before attempting a hookset.

With a spinner added you can use multiple hooks and even multiple treble hooks on your line. You can still tip with your live or dead bait of choice. When the fish takes the lure you do not need to wait with so many hook points available to you and you can give it a quick hook set or a "quick set".

I have not had a problem with the bait laying in the water funny. I have read a few articles that suggest that you make the bait sit funny so it looks like an easy meal. There are those that bait with dead baits and those are sure to not sit naturally in the water like a struggling live bait. With pike I am not sure how much it matters that the bait is positioned in the water just so.

The main problem I have with the rigs is storage. They do not stay wound tight very nice.

I put the hook on the end of the rig just at the dorsal fin and the hook nearer the blade out on the tail.

I hope these pics of my rigs show up OK. I had a cat waiting to pounce on these as I was laying them out. They probably looked fun to her but if she had gotten a snoot full of red treble hook I am sure she would have changed her tune.

With the quick change clevis you can easily vary the size and color of the blade.

Here is my boy with a little pike that fell prey to one of my rigs:

Offline Hunt_N_Pike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2009, 04:52 AM »
Thanks H2O, that answered all my questions and was extremely helpful. Appreciate it.

I use a different type of rig on my Tip-ups. I'll see if I can get a pic of it, but I think in all reality its another quick strike rig with a different configuration.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.