New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: HALI QUESTION..  (Read 5549 times)

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
Re: HALI QUESTION..
« Reply #30 on: Dec 18, 2009, 01:03 PM »
I would like to get some of the small chains because I have a bunch of old Kastmasters and small spoons that I would like to put droppers on.
Your onto something :whistle:

.I see on the Hali's they have small connectors on them. What are they called? Do you think they have them at Gander??
The one in ton. did in years past, no hali product at all this year. The chains come with the snap attached, they once sold small trebles with a golow bead in the center. Good stuff!
I alos hear HT is carrying the chains and simialr style lure. In years past they work, only knoch is paint quality.

The hail chains are tough enough to handle pike and walters teeth. I have lost fish due to the chain break, as a whole they are decent. The smaller hooks are there for a reason, they don't destroy your grubs while baiting.
If you see a kink or defect in the chain switch it ASAP..
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline waronfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 18, 2009, 01:05 PM »
i tie em on. and catch almost all species... last winter i had just made a comment to my friends that ive cought northerns on em, 2 min. later i got a keeper northern on a pink stripe haley tipped with a spike.. hmm, im going to hit the ice now.. haha..

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #32 on: Dec 18, 2009, 02:51 PM »
If anyone is looking for a good selection of Hali's and Lindy's, and your in the CNY area, try Herb Phillipsons, they have lures 20% off for christmas. Picked up a Lindy Darter yesterday, cant wait to try it! :)

The Syracuse Ice Show also had lures at 20% off... not that it helps NOW.... ;)
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:33 AM »
When I was using it on Saturday I was also using the flasher. So if I saw a fish on the flasher I would lower or raise it to the fish then jig it about 6 inches then hold it still..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline pugs6977

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:35 PM »
mostly tie direct, an old guy told me the more on your line, the less you'll catch. i found he's right!
what r ya tryin to prove by jumpin on the ice?

Offline fishingrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 21, 2009, 07:15 PM »
these are called quick snaps,they come in black and silver and a few different sizes the real small ones are used for fly fishing .I've used these on occasion butin cold weather they are a little hard to change your jigs out fast  without using a plier or hemostat.
If your going to go out with the boys,You better get up with the men.

Offline fathead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 21, 2009, 07:56 PM »
 i also use the fast-snaps on my lines and they work great for the hali's and other drop jigs doesn't effect me or the fish as far as i'm concerned if you use a camera with the hali's you can really add to your bucket count those big perch just suck on the bait and when they suck the chain lets the hook go right in there mouth. Just set it and forget it!!!!  Just don't use the fast-snaps with any hard action lures nothing like watchin a brand new chubbydarter slowly hit the bottom!!   
SEMPER FI

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 22, 2009, 11:51 AM »
I tie them directly on with an improved clinch knot...Haven't had aproblem as of yet.
;

Offline Ice Shark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 23, 2009, 02:31 PM »
No-Knot fast snaps for any lure that hangs.  if you have a lure that has to stay horizontal, I'll tie direct.

Offline fishing mechanic

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 19, 2010, 08:05 PM »
While hali's are a great jig and use them all the time. I tie mine directly on but what I found and maybe it's just me. I had to switch out the smaller chain and hook for larger one's. I had a hard time keeping fish buttoned up with the smaller hooks.

Again maybe it's just me, but after I switched out the hooks I didn't have that problem

Dead on Dull hooks, thats why I changed up and added better hooks and chain presentation with my halis!!! Certain days, it makes all the difference!

Offline Jaycr3183

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 20, 2010, 05:53 PM »
On my Hali's, I tie direct, but what I also do, I take the hook that comes with it, and paint it in glow paint, different colors, and it has seemed to catch more for me, just alittle tip.

Offline fishing mechanic

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 21, 2010, 08:39 PM »
On my Hali's, I tie direct, but what I also do, I take the hook that comes with it, and paint it in glow paint, different colors, and it has seemed to catch more for me, just alittle tip.

Are you putting spikes,waxees,mousees, on your hook ??? That is the most ludicrest post i've seen yet on this Hali thread. I've never caught a fish without "meat" I don't buy it!!! :cookoo:

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #42 on: Feb 21, 2010, 09:13 PM »
I like that idea about painting the chains with glow paint.  Someone I know bought one at 307 this week and the guy took it out of the package and used a black marker to put a mark on it.  He said nothing in nature is perfect.  Makes sense to me. 

Offline fishing mechanic

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 21, 2010, 11:18 PM »
Fished today with halis and marmooskas, won 1st place in a derby!!! On Onieda lake for longest Gill. Didnt catch the gill on a hali, but I did catch abunch on the hali ;). Todays bite was inches off the bottom. Crazy,they were not biting hard, cause of a huge "bloom" of fresh water shrimp.There bellys are  ;)full!!!!! Got my fair share of gills!! plus the winner of the derby!! And once again, got my fair share on the HALI ;)

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Feb 22, 2010, 08:24 AM »
Are you putting spikes,waxees,mousees, on your hook ??? That is the most ludicrest post i've seen yet on this Hali thread. I've never caught a fish without "meat" I don't buy it!!! :cookoo:
Pick a day this week and I'll take you out and show you the beauty of "Meatless Fish Catching" ......and a few "Hali tricks"   :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ;)

PS:    Your new Ice Rod will be at the River Rat this afternoon ! ;)
PLASTICS ARE FANTASTIC  !!

Offline fishing mechanic

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 22, 2010, 09:46 AM »
I would like to get some of the small chains because I have a bunch of old Kastmasters and small spoons that I would like to put droppers on..I see on the Hali's they have small connectors on them. What are they called? Do you think they have them at Gander??

Hey,get ahold of River rat,I,m sure i've seen the chains in there!!

Offline fishing mechanic

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 22, 2010, 09:51 AM »
Pick a day this week and I'll take you out and show you the beauty of "Meatless Fish Catching" ......and a few "Hali tricks"   :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ;)

PS:    Your new Ice Rod will be at the River Rat this afternoon ! ;)

You got my attention now!! We can figure something out. Once again, thanks for the rod

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.