New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: HALI QUESTION..  (Read 5543 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
HALI QUESTION..
« on: Dec 17, 2009, 03:15 PM »
I picked up some Hali's at the ice show and was wondering if I tie them directly to the line or use a small snap swivel?
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: HALI QUESTION..
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2009, 03:18 PM »
I use them a lot for perch. I never catch anything when using a snap. I do much better when I tie them on. I know it's a pain to tie if you are frequently changing lures, but it's worth it.
HWN

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2009, 03:40 PM »
how could you go wrong   6 for $10??  IMO it was the "steal" of the show!
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2009, 03:42 PM »
wow that is a steal..but to answer your question I tie mine directly on

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2009, 03:51 PM »
When i use them I tie them directly as well, and the steal you got wait i mean deal is aswome
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline JIG MONSTER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2009, 04:03 PM »
I always tie directly too!
When you use a snap swivel what happens is when you jig aggressively the drop hook will constantly get caught up in the swivel and after five minutes playing a fish with no bite you reel up and realize you should have never used a snap swivel with a dropper. If you like put a small swivel 3' above your lure.
Oh bye the way good deal on the Hali's.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2009, 04:09 PM »
how could you go wrong   6 for $10??  IMO it was the "steal" of the show!

I didn't see that deal......I paid almost 5 dollars a piece.. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline flyguyonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2009, 04:12 PM »
Tie them directly to the line, no swivel.

Did you get Hali panfish jigs for that?  I picked up a dozen of the bigger Hali's (for walleye) for that deal.  It was great but I would have loved to have gotten the regular ones for panfish as well.  It's about all I ever use.  They are the best!
The fishing's better when everything is hard.

"Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the mouth"

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2009, 04:35 PM »
I bought the smaller ones.. I have never used them, but with all this talk on here and seeing them used on InFisherman tv show I had to pick some up..

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2009, 04:39 PM »
Have used them both ways but if you use a swivel use a small one like a size 12 or 14.

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2009, 04:43 PM »
i tie direct...florocarbon leader to a small barrel swivel to eliminate line twist. :tipup:  love the hali jigs for perch, they getdown FAST.  did well on gills last year too.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2009, 05:04 PM »
I only use a barrel swivel 12"-16" above the lure to avoid line twist. Snaps seem to just get in the way, hooks get caught up, it adds more profile to smaller presentations, and always seem to be a weak link for me at least. You're better off simply using an appropriate knot for the desired lure action.

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2009, 06:37 PM »
tie directly on.  The hali is the greatest perch jig ever! do not fall for the cheaper kodiaks either, they dont work and you need to turn your vexilar gain up to 7 in 20FOV to pick them up, junk.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline hard_water

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips all over NY
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2009, 07:07 PM »
I too use a small barrel swivel about 16 inches above my hali, i found it eliminates line twist which can be a real pain when its 10 degrees and your 2 lb test gets all twisted and starts freezing to the ice. not that its ever happend to me before..... :whistle: :whistle: :woot:
                                                                            Water
GET THE NET !!!!!!!GET THE NET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2009, 07:46 PM »
 While hali's are a great jig and use them all the time. I tie mine directly on but what I found and maybe it's just me. I had to switch out the smaller chain and hook for larger one's. I had a hard time keeping fish buttoned up with the smaller hooks.

Again maybe it's just me, but after I switched out the hooks I didn't have that problem

Offline Shovel74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2009, 07:54 PM »
I tie directly also.  Be patient with them, it took me awhile before I started catching fish with them.  I don't know if it was color or my action, but I couldn't catch anything for a while and could not see why everyone loved them so much.....until late in the season last year.

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2009, 08:20 PM »
While hali's are a great jig and use them all the time. I tie mine directly on but what I found and maybe it's just me. I had to switch out the smaller chain and hook for larger one's. I had a hard time keeping fish buttoned up with the smaller hooks.

Again maybe it's just me, but after I switched out the hooks I didn't have that problem

I buy just the hali chains, and then put size 10 red salmon egg hooks on the chains.  Those wimpy hooks they put on them get all bent up and break real fast when your hittin em hard.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2009, 08:39 PM »
Where can you buy just the chains?

Offline skyphix

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2009, 09:25 PM »
Used a snap and a 6" leader and caught a perch the first time down the hole. I ended up breaking the hook taking it out of the fishes mouth but luckily had some extra Kodiak chain rigs. Kept working awesome. Wound up with the perch just under the hole!
Eric

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2009, 09:33 PM »
I buy just the hali chains, and then put size 10 red salmon egg hooks on the chains.  Those wimpy hooks they put on them get all bent up and break real fast when your hittin em hard.

I bought just one Hali at the show, for $5.... when I got home and took it out of the package I didnt like how fragile the chain and little gold hook looked, so I put a treble directly to the Hali....cant wait to get out on the ice Sunday

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2009, 05:51 AM »
Dont count the 2" out as perch lure we cathch em on the bigger ones all the time thats one thing I like about halis the big attractant withy smaller bait and hook.Ive caught perch only a couple inches themselves on a bigger hali.I use tha small fas-snaps on my rigs they dont swivel but are almost unnoticable and work good for easy lure changes.Just stay away from the dark ones the shiny ones are strong the others are crap.The replacement chains can be found at gander and most shops that sell the lures.I prefer sticking to single hook I seem to get less bites with a treble I dont know why trebles work well on other stuff but on halis the single is my preference.Good ice should be abundant soon and we can quit talkin about it and get jiggin!!
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2009, 06:53 AM »
The Nils booth had them on Friday...maybe they sold out quickly?
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2009, 07:43 AM »
I bought just one Hali at the show, for $5.... when I got home and took it out of the package I didnt like how fragile the chain and little gold hook looked, so I put a treble directly to the Hali....cant wait to get out on the ice Sunday

you may find that this doesnt work very well..  The chain is really what makes the hali work and I think taking it off for a treble kinda defeats the purpose.  The jig part of the hali really just attracts the fish, it is the action you get from chain/hook+grub that catches em' :P

I get just the chains from Fish307.

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2009, 08:08 AM »
what knot are you guys using?

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2009, 08:42 AM »
I tie all my jigs direct. I use a small barrel swivel and about 3 ft of leader.

I use a trilene knot
http://www.netknots.com/html/trilene_knot.html

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2009, 08:48 AM »
I would like to get some of the small chains because I have a bunch of old Kastmasters and small spoons that I would like to put droppers on..I see on the Hali's they have small connectors on them. What are they called? Do you think they have them at Gander??

Offline skyphix

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2009, 08:55 AM »
I would like to get some of the small chains because I have a bunch of old Kastmasters and small spoons that I would like to put droppers on..I see on the Hali's they have small connectors on them. What are they called? Do you think they have them at Gander??

Snaps
Stole this off of a non-vendor website so don't want to link to it - just wanted to show the photo

then use mono to tie the dropper on so its like a Hali. Kodiak also makes chain rigs but the snaps aren't very good so replace them. Available from jammin jigs or my local B&T has them. I plan on going the mono route because I'm cheap and have a few spools of 14 and 17lb that I use rarely in the summer for leader material.
Eric

Offline Lookin Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2009, 09:00 AM »
I started using fas-snaps last year and like them.  (they are like what holds the bottom hook on a jigging rap) Have not had any problems with them and makes it easy to switch jigs.

As for the hooks and chains think I remember seeing them at Gander in Utica.

Offline Kuyahoorakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have Ice? Will Travel...
« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2009, 10:02 AM »
If anyone is looking for a good selection of Hali's and Lindy's, and your in the CNY area, try Herb Phillipsons, they have lures 20% off for christmas. Picked up a Lindy Darter yesterday, cant wait to try it! :)

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2009, 12:16 PM »
If anyone is looking for a good selection of Hali's and Lindy's, and your in the CNY area, try Herb Phillipsons, they have lures 20% off for christmas. Picked up a Lindy Darter yesterday, cant wait to try it! :)
bought a bunch there can`t beet the 20% off deal, pick up some jigging rapala`s too, make sure they ring up right

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.