Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Ice Fishing Shanty
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Gearcor | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | KitteryTradingPost | Cabelas
Oct 25, 2014, 11:29 AM
Support Iceshanty...
Get some great gear and forum goodies...
Join The Iceshanty Militia

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?
This board sponsored in part by

Author Topic: HALI QUESTION..  (Read 3004 times)

JBoggey1

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Re: HALI QUESTION..
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2009, 10:46 PM »
I bought a 2" hali is that too big for perch? I never used one before. What is the suggested retrieval height?  More like a pimple or less subtle like a small perch willow jig?
A member of the lost generation

PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict

• Perchpuller
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2009, 04:51 AM »
Dont count the 2" out as perch lure we cathch em on the bigger ones all the time thats one thing I like about halis the big attractant withy smaller bait and hook.Ive caught perch only a couple inches themselves on a bigger hali.I use tha small fas-snaps on my rigs they dont swivel but are almost unnoticable and work good for easy lure changes.Just stay away from the dark ones the shiny ones are strong the others are crap.The replacement chains can be found at gander and most shops that sell the lures.I prefer sticking to single hook I seem to get less bites with a treble I dont know why trebles work well on other stuff but on halis the single is my preference.Good ice should be abundant soon and we can quit talkin about it and get jiggin!!
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2009, 05:53 AM »
The Nils booth had them on Friday...maybe they sold out quickly?
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

TimK

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2009, 06:43 AM »
I bought just one Hali at the show, for $5.... when I got home and took it out of the package I didnt like how fragile the chain and little gold hook looked, so I put a treble directly to the Hali....cant wait to get out on the ice Sunday

you may find that this doesnt work very well..  The chain is really what makes the hali work and I think taking it off for a treble kinda defeats the purpose.  The jig part of the hali really just attracts the fish, it is the action you get from chain/hook+grub that catches em' :P

I get just the chains from Fish307.
A bad day of fishin beats a good day of anything else (except elk hunting!)

Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2009, 07:08 AM »
what knot are you guys using?

coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2009, 07:42 AM »
I tie all my jigs direct. I use a small barrel swivel and about 3 ft of leader.

I use a trilene knot
http://www.netknots.com/html/trilene_knot.html

Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • IceShantyholic

« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2009, 07:48 AM »
I would like to get some of the small chains because I have a bunch of old Kastmasters and small spoons that I would like to put droppers on..I see on the Hali's they have small connectors on them. What are they called? Do you think they have them at Gander??
        Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...

skyphix

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2009, 07:55 AM »
I would like to get some of the small chains because I have a bunch of old Kastmasters and small spoons that I would like to put droppers on..I see on the Hali's they have small connectors on them. What are they called? Do you think they have them at Gander??

Snaps
Stole this off of a non-vendor website so don't want to link to it - just wanted to show the photo

then use mono to tie the dropper on so its like a Hali. Kodiak also makes chain rigs but the snaps aren't very good so replace them. Available from jammin jigs or my local B&T has them. I plan on going the mono route because I'm cheap and have a few spools of 14 and 17lb that I use rarely in the summer for leader material.
Eric

Lookin Up

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2009, 08:00 AM »
I started using fas-snaps last year and like them.  (they are like what holds the bottom hook on a jigging rap) Have not had any problems with them and makes it easy to switch jigs.

As for the hooks and chains think I remember seeing them at Gander in Utica.

Kuyahoorakid

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular

• Have Ice? Will Travel...
« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2009, 09:02 AM »
If anyone is looking for a good selection of Hali's and Lindy's, and your in the CNY area, try Herb Phillipsons, they have lures 20% off for christmas. Picked up a Lindy Darter yesterday, cant wait to try it! :)

kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #30 on: Dec 18, 2009, 11:16 AM »
If anyone is looking for a good selection of Hali's and Lindy's, and your in the CNY area, try Herb Phillipsons, they have lures 20% off for christmas. Picked up a Lindy Darter yesterday, cant wait to try it! :)
bought a bunch there can`t beet the 20% off deal, pick up some jigging rapala`s too, make sure they ring up right

BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #31 on: Dec 18, 2009, 12:03 PM »
I would like to get some of the small chains because I have a bunch of old Kastmasters and small spoons that I would like to put droppers on.
Your onto something :whistle:

.I see on the Hali's they have small connectors on them. What are they called? Do you think they have them at Gander??
The one in ton. did in years past, no hali product at all this year. The chains come with the snap attached, they once sold small trebles with a golow bead in the center. Good stuff!
I alos hear HT is carrying the chains and simialr style lure. In years past they work, only knoch is paint quality.

The hail chains are tough enough to handle pike and walters teeth. I have lost fish due to the chain break, as a whole they are decent. The smaller hooks are there for a reason, they don't destroy your grubs while baiting.
If you see a kink or defect in the chain switch it ASAP..
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

waronfish

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #32 on: Dec 18, 2009, 12:05 PM »
i tie em on. and catch almost all species... last winter i had just made a comment to my friends that ive cought northerns on em, 2 min. later i got a keeper northern on a pink stripe haley tipped with a spike.. hmm, im going to hit the ice now.. haha..

jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #33 on: Dec 18, 2009, 01:51 PM »

The Syracuse Ice Show also had lures at 20% off... not that it helps NOW.... ;)
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

JBoggey1

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #34 on: Dec 21, 2009, 03:51 AM »
bought a bunch there can`t beet the 20% off deal, pick up some jigging rapala`s too, make sure they ring up right
Kchamp,bought 4 at Phillipson's 8 left at 2:00 Sunday unless they restock. Also bought a kodiac very similar, c'mon guy's i was looking for a little suggestion on the jigging action on the Hali's. I promise I won'tcatch them all, just enough to feed the family (extended that is). Tite Lines

Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • IceShantyholic

« Reply #35 on: Dec 21, 2009, 04:33 AM »
When I was using it on Saturday I was also using the flasher. So if I saw a fish on the flasher I would lower or raise it to the fish then jig it about 6 inches then hold it still..
        Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...

JBoggey1

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #36 on: Dec 21, 2009, 04:31 PM »
When I was using it on Saturday I was also using the flasher. So if I saw a fish on the flasher I would lower or raise it to the fish then jig it about 6 inches then hold it still..
Thanks Raquettedacker, I got a chance to use it at Sandy this afternoon. I got instant action on it. Off the bottom, slight jig, one foot rise and settle, but mostly on the rise. Is that typical guys? Missed a lot of hits which I attribute to the extreemly small hook. I was using the new inch and a half I got at Philipson's on Sunday. It got a lot of attention but mostly dinks, this out of a hole I had just rested (5) 9 inchers frrom. Will the 2 inch attract larger perch?  Boggey

pugs6977

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #37 on: Dec 21, 2009, 04:35 PM »
mostly tie direct, an old guy told me the more on your line, the less you'll catch. i found he's right!
what r ya tryin to prove by jumpin on the ice?

fishingrip

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #38 on: Dec 21, 2009, 06:15 PM »
these are called quick snaps,they come in black and silver and a few different sizes the real small ones are used for fly fishing .I've used these on occasion butin cold weather they are a little hard to change your jigs out fast  without using a plier or hemostat.
If your going to go out with the boys,You better get up with the men.

fathead

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #39 on: Dec 21, 2009, 06:56 PM »
 i also use the fast-snaps on my lines and they work great for the hali's and other drop jigs doesn't effect me or the fish as far as i'm concerned if you use a camera with the hali's you can really add to your bucket count those big perch just suck on the bait and when they suck the chain lets the hook go right in there mouth. Just set it and forget it!!!!  Just don't use the fast-snaps with any hard action lures nothing like watchin a brand new chubbydarter slowly hit the bottom!!   
SEMPER FI

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Gearcor | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | Cabelas
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved