Author Topic: Using regular fish finders for ice fishing  (Read 32745 times)

Offline prayforice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2013 2nd Place Crappie!
Using regular fish finders for ice fishing
« on: Dec 15, 2009, 12:37 PM »
I am unsure of the model but I have a portable hummingbird fish finder that is pretty nice. I know there has to be a way to sort of convert it for the winter to make it work on the ice. It usually has a suction cup but that can be easily removed..what do you guys recommend? Someone has to have done this already. Thanks

Offline schaffman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Using regular fish finders for ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2009, 01:06 PM »
I have a portable hummingbird that I picked up off Craigslist and it came with an ice transducer.   You can go to the Hummingbird website and see a list of ice transducers for the different fish finders.   However, I've seen guys on the ice that have made a bracket to use the transducer with the suction cup.   

I can't tell you how mine works as this is the first season I'll be using electronics on the ice and I have not been out yet this year.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2009, 01:18 PM »
If you know how to use it on your boat and are familiar with its functions, you will be able to use it just fine. I used and old boat type eagle for a couple of years. I could tell when the fish came in and at what depth. For the way I used it I had good success. Make an arm of wood like a dowel and electric tape the transducer the same angle you would use it on your boat. Drop it down to the bottom edge of the hole until you get a clean signal. It won't do what a good Vex will do but you will see fish.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline toothy critter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Doesn't get any better
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2009, 01:21 PM »
Hi prayforice,

Get a spatchler with a metal stem that has a plastic handle / 3 slot flipper. Bend metal stem to a 45 degree (bend strait down). The handle add a 3 " x 1/4" bolt 2 washers on both sides of the handle and tighten the nut. The flipper add a bolt, nut and transducer through middle slot and tighten up finger tight. I have the portable 535 model with a removeable top cover. I drilled a 1/4" hole through the handle of fish finder, Put long handle bolt into the fish finder handle. Move fish finder back and forth to find your lure. Works good.

Will

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2009, 04:00 PM »
I'm using an old Wide One Hundred with the transducer attached to the bottom of an old retired tipup. I will be improving it this year by putting more cross pole pivot holes further up the upright stick to be able to get the 'ducer below the bottom of the hole and slid to one side.
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2009, 04:07 PM »
I have an old 'Bird Wide 128 that I have the ice arm for the transducer.  Haven't used it in about 10 years, but took it out today and may give it a try again this year.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2009, 04:31 PM »
I am unsure of the model but I have a portable hummingbird fish finder that is pretty nice. I know there has to be a way to sort of convert it for the winter to make it work on the ice. It usually has a suction cup but that can be easily removed..what do you guys recommend? Someone has to have done this already. Thanks
save your self the trouble my friend and get the lowrance ice machine. this is the best "fish finder" type sonar for ice fishing imo.

Offline jasonmeekhof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2009, 04:40 PM »
I used to use my friends Eagle fishmark 320 portable kit on the ice. It worked pretty well really. I had never used a vex or marcum at that point, but it had a bar along the right side of the display that worked like a flasher. I would use it again if I needed to.
Jason Meekhof<br />Muskegon, MI <br />www.myspace.com/underallow<br />

Offline Icemensclub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2009, 06:14 PM »
Anybody use a hummingbird 110 style fishfinder

Offline frog11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2009, 06:42 PM »
I have an older portable 1. I made a "T" out of scrap wood then screwed on a piece of plexi glass to stick the transducer to. Found out about this from the shanty last season

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2009, 07:04 PM »
I use an old Lowrance bluewater 160.  It may not show my jig, but it lets me know depth and when there is fish.  I also use a fish tv.
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline Homemade

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline Peterb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2009, 08:30 PM »
i use my one hundred and it gives me the depth and can see my jig fall if its big enough
You apple knocker

Offline UpstateNYiceguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fear no fish....
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2009, 08:54 PM »
I mounted my old Eagle Fish ID onto a Genz box.  For the transducer, I simply mounted it onto the bottom of an old tip-up, removing the upper cross-stays.  I used a cable staple to secure the cable near the top.

When I put the transducer down, I make sure the transducer "stick" rides the inside edge of the hole so the transducer stays vertical.  My cable is long enough so that I can let out only what is needed to reach the bottom of the hole.  The Genz box/unit will act as an anchor to keep the transducer hanging absolutely vertical.  Best part-no dismantling to stow or move-just pull it out of the hole and GO!
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while..."

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2009, 09:12 PM »
Here's what I did over 15 years ago:

Just an old pistol case to hold battery & depth finder/ Ray jefferson swivel mount on cover when in use......Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline mdeutsch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2010, 08:35 AM »
I took a friend of mine ice fishing for the first time last year and now he's hooked. This is what we came up with for him as a low cost option. Humminbird Pirahana 3 mounted on a utility box, small lawn mower battery and 12v plug to power the DVD player to entertain the little guys. We suspended the transducer with an AquaVu cable stopper inside of the box. The Humminbird was $25 on a deal from Xpressman and the rest of the parts were laying around my garage.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.