Author Topic: Collingwood  (Read 4716 times)

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
Collingwood
« on: Dec 10, 2009, 11:09 AM »
Does anyone know what Zone Collingwood is part of?  I have to go pick up a family member their just before Christmas and wouldn't mind fishing the bay if the regulations permit it.  I suppose it's fine because even thought it's Georgian Bay it's still considered part of the Great Lakes water basin which should be open year round.  Just want to make sure though.

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Collingwood
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2009, 11:41 AM »
hope you don't plan on ice fishing. There won't be safe ice there yet except maybe in the harbour.
  It's zone 16
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2009, 11:41 AM »
just to add...I don't remember safe ice outside the harbour in Collingwood for many many years
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2009, 12:53 PM »
Thanks for the info...  Last year when I went up just before Christmas (around the 20th), I took my auger and Fish Finder out in the harbour.  It was about 6-7inches thick and I did mark fish but didn't do any actual fishing....  I suppose it's full mostly with Perch  and perhaps some trout eh?  Any Walleye in the Harbor?

Aaron

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2009, 08:26 AM »
no walleye that I'm aware of and not many trout caught in there either. Lots of small perch, have never caught any biggies there.
   I would suggest going over to Cooks Bay if you're coming up the 400. Much better fishing
--Stephen Wright

Offline johnnyb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish on fish on fish on!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2009, 08:51 AM »
I plunked down in the harbour for an hour last year...saw a couple very nice sized perch show up on the camera, but between the 50kms/hr  winds and my son not being the MOST patient  ::) we didn't last long enough to get them interested.  Spoke to a local as we packed up, and he said it was the best winter for perch he'd seen in 20 years...lots of 'em, and lots of jumbos...he chalked it up to there being enough time elapsed since they last dredged the place.
 ???
The harder the better!

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2009, 09:05 AM »
I'd love to see some jumbos in there. been goin there for years as a quick outing and have yet to see a jumbo let alone anything over about 8". Would be great if it did pick up. last dredging of that harbour was a contaminated silt removal in 1993 that created the park at the end. Collingwood has the potential to be a great fishery but there is nada being done or even looked at there. They are so focused on the ski esorts that they forget about the greatest resource they have...Georgian Bay
--Stephen Wright

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2009, 10:08 AM »
I think I'm going to bring my ice gear when I go up next weekend!   I would love to hook into some jumbo's pending the ice is thick enough...   I'm really looking forward to it as I really have the "Itch" and I can't start fishing around the Peterborough area until January 1st...

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2009, 01:25 PM »
The Nottawasaga In wasaga Beach has ice right now about 1" thick. If the weather holds cold there may be enuff to fish on next weekend in the harbour but I'd be careful. If the tiny little shack is not out there the ice is not safe. Collingwood is notorious for unsafe Ice right along the edge where you'd walk out.
   The tiny shack is my indicator of safe ice. That guy has been going out there for 20+ years
--Stephen Wright

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2009, 04:10 PM »
Good luck man let me know how you make out

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2009, 06:40 PM »
Made it up to Collingwood today and got a solid 3 hours of fishing in the harbor! The ice is over 4" thick and that is where the good news ends!  I drilled over 20 holes and didn't mark one fish the entire time.  I was also the only one on the ice, but I had lots of on lookers and inquiries!  I'm really disappointed but might give it one more shot when I have to go back up to take grandma home...   :-[

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2009, 08:17 AM »
that's typical Collingwood Harbour
--Stephen Wright

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.